iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40-Covering entire mill

Started by PA_Walnut, November 15, 2017, 07:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_Walnut

I'm in the midst of getting permits to build a sawmill shed. Until then I'd like to cover my LT40 with something other than a plastic tarp. Anyone have a pointer/tips for what to get?

I have the console, engine and debarker cover from WM, but wish to cover the entire mill over the winter.

Any help is appreciated. Thx  :)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Crusarius

I don't know what LT-40's are like for critter spots but sometimes it is better to leave it uncovered. The more hospitable you make it the more critters will enjoy it.

PA_Walnut

Good point. I've been spraying it with WD40 on occasion to help with rust and corrosion. Hopefully that helps a little AND keeps the critters away!  :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Crusarius

I went out to the shed the other day to prep my UTV for plowing this winter and I think I removed well over 100 pine cones from every nook and cranny. Then I was looking around the shed and saw tons more. Last year was hickory nut fettish this year is pinecones. I wish he had stuck with the nuts. A lot less mess and no sticky.

Chuck White

If you completely close your mill in, you'll be inviting critters!

I usually remove most of the shields from my mill as soon as I put it in the garage for the winter!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jemclimber

If you're going to spray it for corrosion protection I would recommend Fluid Film over wd-40. Napa and amazon carry it and I'm sure you'll thank me.
lt15

YellowHammer

We have had good luck covering large items with used surplus parachutes.  They are light, pretty weatherproof, and breathe well. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

runmca

drobertson

how much are you planning or wanting to spend?  It sure seems like a tarp would work, there has to be some good days you could saw and would want to,, I used a light weight 50' tarp the first winter,,,not sure what it cost pretty cheap I'm thinking, other than that one of those lightweight tubular framed sheds with the metal roofing, they go up quick, and the cost won't break ya,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

PAmizerman

When I need an oversized tarp I get old billboard "tarps" from repurposed materials.com
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

GDinMaine

The first two winters my mill sat outside, but under careful and complete tarp covers. I have the large mill cover that keeps rain off the entire saw head. I also cover the mill frame with medium duty tarps. Now it has it's own spot in a barn when it is home. If I leave the mill on a job it gets covered completely, regardless of season or weather.

When I am done sawing for the winter, the mill is in the barn, completely clean. The exposed steel surfaces all coated with chainsaw oil. In the early spring it gets another good cleaning and lubed with ATF.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

hopm

Quote from: Jemclimber on November 15, 2017, 08:16:09 AM
If you're going to spray it for corrosion protection I would recommend Fluid Film over wd-40. Napa and amazon carry it and I'm sure you'll thank me.
How heavy can you coat with fluid film? I have a truck I'm about to do the undercarriage on. Fluid film has been recommended and I'm completely unfamiliar.

PA_Walnut

Thanks for all the tips. Got some Fluid Film at Lowes yesterday and sprayed the threaded parts, exposed metal, etc. Will see how that holds up.
In the meantime, gonna look for one of those aluminum pole sheds or big tarp. Thanks!
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Peter Drouin

Canvest did work well for me.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!