iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

kiln door seal

Started by kelLOGg, December 14, 2011, 10:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

My kiln door uses closed cell pipe insulation for the seal around the door. I mitered the corners of the insulation to go around the corners of the door and glued it in place. The unpainted wood strip shown in the pic prevents the door from closing too tightly and compressing the insulation too much. I have tried several adhesives, silicone and other types of caulk and rubber cement but none holds over time. The insulation also shrinks over time causing another problem. If I could find an adhesive to fix the insulation to the door I could also glue wafers of the insulation into the gaps where the insulation has pulled apart and solve both problems. Any suggestions?
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

scsmith42

Bob, McMaster sells a 2-part acrylic adhesive that is pretty tough, (but pricey).  It's similar to epoxy, but works better on certain materials such as foam.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

kelLOGg

Thanks, Scott. That looks like a good option. It also led me to others.
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

shelbycharger400

kellogg... ever use that 3m  yellow super weatherstrip adheasive?   that "stuff" works good, you might have to wait a few min for it to tack on a verticle surface . trany shop i usto work at used it on the ford taurus trany, for the valve body gaskets ( they would blow out/cross flow , this was a fix they found)

kelLOGg

Sounds good. I can probably get it at an auto supply house? Thanks!
Bob

jamesamd

I use (style 1) 1 1/4" wide on Our industrial ovens "silicone" and only use 3M spray adhesive to hold them in place.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=fftzez

Ovens are limited to 200 Deg. because We can not trust the operators from putting items in that have a lower flash point.

each oven holds 8,55 gal. drums! no problems,unless they smash a door with a forklift.Door closures are the same as a shipping container.Ovens are all stainless steel wraped.
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Handy Andy

You know the weatherstripping they use on prehung exterior doors used to be available in a roll, just had to run a groove to poke the edge into that holds the weatherstrip in place. I've made exterior door frames, and would just run my blade about 1/2" high on the wide cut. Helped to use a thin sawblade, too.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Thank You Sponsors!