iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another new saw

Started by TACOMATODD, January 21, 2019, 07:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TACOMATODD

I am currently shopping for my next new saw. I already own a 372xp, but I am really interested in the smallest pro size Stihl saw that I can get. Is the MS362CM going to be the one, or is their another option? You guys have the unadultered knowledge, so I am asking. The one time that I was in this dealership, I really liked them, and they seemed to know their stuff. Opinions please?
Trying harder everyday

barbender

The Ms261cm is a pro saw in the 50cc class. I have one, it's my first Stihl and I really like it👍
Too many irons in the fire

wild262

Smallest "pro" size?  That would be the 241 I believe.  Around a 40cc saw, metal case of course.  People I talk to that own them really like the 241 for there limbing.  Light, lots of power, easy to maintain, and a good filtering system.   Here they respond very good to "mods" too. Could very well be my next saw as well. :)

DelawhereJoe

If you have a 70cc saw I wouldn't wast my time on a 60cc saw, the 362 is a good saw 4.7hp I have one, but you could easy stay with the 20cc between saws. The 261 c-m would be a great saw 4 hp 10ish lbs, I've watched  few YouTubes and it cuts wood with just about the same speed.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

wild262

Yup. A 3-saw plan.  In CC's that would be, 30-50-70, or 40-60-80.  Or any 2-saw plan as mine is, 35-50.  I have a 372, but find myself not using it much as I get older.   For a guy only wanting 1 saw, its hard to beat a 60cc.  Used a 262xp like that when I was in my 30's.  Still have that saw, but retired it to my collection :)

Inaotherlife

MS 201 CEM would be the smallest Stihl rear handle pro saw.
Listed as a farm saw on the U.S. site, but as a pro saw on the International site. It's a hot little number, but pricey.
Testing Stihl's Smallest Pro Chainsaw MS 201C - A Little Beast - YouTube
Next is the 241.

I like the 35-50-70 three saw plan.
Or a 35-70, or maybe 40-70 two saw plan.

Or if you don't need the 70, 35-50 or maybe 40-60. But I really like the 35cc saws for everything that I can get away with using them for.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Inaotherlife on January 21, 2019, 10:50:54 AM
Listed as a farm saw on the U.S. site, but as a pro saw on the International site.

Next would be the 241.
Yes  a impressive saw. Got a picture of one here "I think". Might be another "new" model as the b/c seems too big for a MS201? ???

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

trapper

I have both the 241cm and 261cm. I use the 241 far more.  although the 261 has more power and still light weight and I am probably an exception because I have had the 261 at the dealer a couple times and the 241 still starts with less pulls.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Inaotherlife

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 21, 2019, 10:56:20 AM
Listed as a farm saw on the U.S. site, but as a pro saw on the International site.

Next would be the 241.
Yes  a impressive saw. Got a picture of one here "I think". Might be another "new" model as the b/c seems too big for a MS201? ???

Looks like a 16? I like a 14 for this size saw.

wild262

Listed as a farm saw on the U.S. site, but as a pro saw on the International site. It's a hot little number, but pricey.
Testing Stihl's Smallest Pro Chainsaw MS 201C - A Little Beast - YouTube
Next is the 241.

I like the 35-50-70 three saw plan.
Or a 35-70, or maybe 40-70 two saw plan.

Or if you don't need the 70, 35-50 or maybe 40-60. But I really like the 35cc saws for everything that I can get away with using them for.

Yes.  Your correct.  I had completely forgot about the 201 rear handle pro saw.   That would be a real dandy to.   Holmen, that one in the photo looks to be a 16" bar judging the overall size of everything.  And it looks to be a 201 to me, unless of course they came out with a new "202" lol.  *DanG hard to keep up with them, but I have fun trying.   Like the guy above I prefer a 14" on these rear handled tree type saws.  The 201 however would probably have the power to pull a 16" over the competition.  Although not a strato saw, I had a chance to run a rare MS 200 rear handle with a 16" and was very impressed.  At 59 yrs young, I find myself running the 35cc Echo a lot more than my others.  Its about due for a muff mod very soon.

TACOMATODD

So what is the current Stihl 40cc-ish model pro? I want it to have a rim style sprocket for ease of change. 
Trying harder everyday

Allar

I'm not sure if 40cc and pro go together but what about stihl ms 231
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

wild262

At the Stihl website, the only "pro" rear handle 40cc class is the 241.  The rear handle 150, 193, 201 are considered farm/ranch.  There top handle models of the 150, 193, 201 are considered pro, but for tree use only.  Very confusing how the designate them.  Go the there site and see what I mean.              Allar.       As for the 231?  I don't see it listed unless its the 241 your meaning.

wild262

Quote from: Allar on January 21, 2019, 12:48:38 PM
I'm not sure if 40cc and pro go together but what about stihl ms 231

Is this last years saw, or older?

Allar

Nvm it's listed as landowner saw.

But yeah MS 241 C-M with 42.6cc is the smallest 'professional' chainsaw that stihl offers.
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

wild262

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but has there ever been a 40cc class, pro, or semi-pro saw Stihl has released to the market since the 024av?  Stihl may have not labeled the 024 as a pro, but in its own right it should have been.  It was a magnesium cased saw like the 026, and not much difference except for the bore size. Just curious.

TACOMATODD

Does the MS241CM use the rim style sprocket. This a VERY important feature to me. It is much easier for me to change than a spur type. Enough wear on the chain does make this a more or less mandatory requirement. I may be asking for the moon, but a man can dream!
Trying harder everyday

Inaotherlife

I believe it's an inboard clutch and brake with a spur sprocket.

realzed

Not sure if the 241 has a rim - but being considered in the 'Pro' lines of Stihl I would imagine it does,  or could be converted over to using one.
My previous 290 didn't have one and Stihl had a conversion kit for a rim which I found let the chain noticeably run easier and freer - so it is a worthwhile upgrade if it isn't OEM included.
Personally, if it were me for the small amount of added weight and the extra power that it brings with it over the 241 - I would take a real close look at the 261 version.
Best way to decide between one or the other would be to handle both if your local dealer has them on the shelf - even possibly get an opportunity to start a version of each up and realize that there is probably a lot more saw in your hands with the 261version than with the 241.
The 241 is no doubt a nice little unit - but I can't help but think that if you purchased one and got comfortable with it you wouldn't at some point wish you had gone slightly bigger for the additional power and ease of cutting bigger timber occasionally, wish to go to a longer bar, or 3/8 RS-type of chain..
That is something in my opinion that most 261 users probably don't worry about too much as the 362 version, although it may handle bars a couple of steps up, doesn't in my opinion bring that much of an upgrade with it over a 261 unit.
Am I happy with my 261C-M - can't you tell?  

Inaotherlife

And you see, I was thinkin, with already havin a big saw, that if you got the 261, you'd be thinkin, "dang, wish I had that little eight and a half pound MS 201 CEM!". 
But what do I know...

wild262

Quote from: TACOMATODD on January 21, 2019, 07:01:50 PM
Does the MS241CM use the rim style sprocket. This a VERY important feature to me. It is much easier for me to change than a spur type. Enough wear on the chain does make this a more or less mandatory requirement. I may be asking for the moon, but a man can dream!

I don't know.  But call any Stihl dealer, and they could probably tell you.  Even if it didn't, I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker anyway.  Just run the spur sprocket till it wears out then convert it to a rim sprocket.  Very easy to do on a inboard clutched saw.   Being the fact that's its a "pro" saw, I'd say it does come with a ring gear type.  Call a local dealer and confirm.  Your dream is most likely a reality. ;D

Air Lad

Quote from: realzed on January 21, 2019, 08:06:21 PM
Not sure if the 241 has a rim - but being considered in the 'Pro' lines of Stihl I would imagine it does,  or could be converted over to using one.
My previous 290 didn't have one and Stihl had a conversion kit for a rim which I found let the chain noticeably run easier and freer - so it is a worthwhile upgrade if it isn't OEM included.
Personally, if it were me for the small amount of added weight and the extra power that it brings with it over the 241 - I would take a real close look at the 261 version.
Best way to decide between one or the other would be to handle both if your local dealer has them on the shelf - even possibly get an opportunity to start a version of each up and realize that there is probably a lot more saw in your hands with the 261version than with the 241.
The 241 is no doubt a nice little unit - but I can't help but think that if you purchased one and got comfortable with it you wouldn't at some point wish you had gone slightly bigger for the additional power and ease of cutting bigger timber occasionally, wish to go to a longer bar, or 3/8 RS-type of chain..
That is something in my opinion that most 261 users probably don't worry about too much as the 362 version, although it may handle bars a couple of steps up, doesn't in my opinion bring that much of an upgrade with it over a 261 unit.
Am I happy with my 261C-M - can't you tell?  
My ms260c has rim sprocket drive. I reckon this will fit all the mid range Stihl's
I only say this because the 039 has jumped up a size slightly
They seem to keep things uniform and simple in a sense which is partly why the brand is popular .

trapper

My 241 came with a spur.  261 rim
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

realzed

I read on another forum where a guy posted he bought a 241 and had the dealer offer to change to a rim sprocket before he picked it up - so take that for what it's worth!
Maybe if your considering a 241 you might try and work it into the deal as it probably would cost less since the dealer can resell the unused original spur sprocket and drum at some point as opposed to you doing it yourself and having new /old parts gathering dust for years to come..

Gary Davis

the smallest sthl pro saw is the ms150tc it can be run one handed with left or right hand, power head weighs 5.7lbs

Thank You Sponsors!