Sawing Paneling

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 28, 2016, 08:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

POSTON WIDEHEAD

PANTHERS 300
BRONCOS    0
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bkaimwood

Congratulations, poston....I also got the approval on my job mentioned above... Can't beat a few Friday approvals....
bk

sandsawmill14

Quote from: beenthere on January 28, 2016, 10:41:05 AM
A way to explain it is 1" and above will be by the board foot measure.
Below 1", it will be by the surface measure.

x2   less than 4/4 is by the square ft  4/4 up to 16/4 is by the board ft 4" and up is by the piece but still priced according to bd ft prices according to species of wood :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sandsawmill14

poston always remember what you have invested in the logs everything to do with profit but nothing to do with value/pricing of the lumber :) free logs are your good luck not his ;)

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

I have a simple system for custom sawing:

Timbers-my hourly rate.
8/4- my hourly rate.
4/4- my hourly rate.
3/4 to .5/4- my hourly rate.
Bucking your logs or bumping knots- my hourly rate.
I think I'm seeing a pattern here. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 29, 2016, 06:44:39 PM
I have a simple system for custom sawing:

Timbers-my hourly rate.
8/4- my hourly rate.
4/4- my hourly rate.
3/4 to .5/4- my hourly rate.
Bucking your logs or bumping knots- my hourly rate.
I think I'm seeing a pattern here. :D

:D :D :D :D smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

It puts the burden of preparation and the cost of complexity on the customer. Perhaps that doesn't work for a customer that wants a fixed footage rate to predict the cost of 2x framing lumber, but I don't cut that for people, although it would be pretty easy to estimate the hourly production of 2x. I cut mostly timbers, or odd stuff for woodworkers, like butternut logs that are 38" on one end, and 36"x54" on the other that require a bunch of chainsaw work to get sawn, but yield a couple of dozen 24" wide boards. I've sawn pine beams that cost as low as $0.23 per board foot, and 30' white oak beams that were about $0.52 per board foot due to the added turning and care needed to produce a straight, well dimensioned timber. I know how much I need to get to make it worth starting the mill. I don't think that should change because of different requests from the customer.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Joey Grimes

I cut 300lf  3/4×6×10 cypress today out of my logs I charge the same for anything under a inch as I do for 1 inch.
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

WV Sawmiller

Dave,

In your case I understand you using an hourly rate. As you noted, this puts the burden of preparation and the quality of the logs on the customer. The disadvantage is it also precludes you from making a bonus when you do get good wood, longer, thicker cuts and things just click where you stand to make more using a bf plan. The disadvantage to the customer is as you describe that they have no firm idea what their cost will be up front. I am sure repeat customers are much more comfortable with an hourly plan since they know they get good value.

I have an hourly rate for small, dirty logs and specialty cutting when it is not economically feasible for me to cut. Many of us also have both a bf and hourly rate for similar reasons. My goal is to provide a good service at a competitive rate but going broke in the process is not part of my plan. Some jobs just aren't worth the time and effort.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

I forget who said it, but it's the truth.  You never lose money on a job you didn't take.
Boy, back in my day..

thechknhwk

Scsle & Charge for the logs, whatever the going rate is.  Then charge by the hour to saw them and make sure he is there to offbear them, lol.

sandsawmill14

i charge by the hour for resawing cants most which are splitting in half where a log isnt big enough for 3 cants and a scragg mill can't saw 2. i make a trim cut to resize for the kerf then saw in half so 2 cuts yields from 168 bd ft up to about 350 bd ft for the 16' long cants and i can do 8-10 per hr. that would be well over 300 bucks an hour if i charged by the bd ft and i dont feel right about that.
  you know that maybe how some of these companies get the max output for their mills ;)  like that our b20 will cut up to 1680 bdft per hour :o or up to 13440 bd ft per eight hour shift :o ;D :D :D :D

Brucer

The Canadian Softwood Grading manual defines a board foot (for material under 1" thick) as the nominal width in inches times the length in feet divided by 12. In other words, it treats the lumber as if it were 1" thick regardless of the actual thickness.

I always tell my customers that I follow the softwood grading rules. I make it clear what it will cost them. And if they question it, I show them the clause in the manual.

I don't negotiate my prices.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

rasman57

"Wonder what it would cost if I get those 4 nice Red Oaks professionally milled once I buck them into logs and turn the rest into firewood"........that was my very first exposure to the whole world of milling.
   That lead me to the FF where I was able to start researching information to get answers.    I think in my case it was very useful to know a board foot labor cost since I did not know if a log could be loaded and cut in 1 hour or 4 hours.   I simply had no frame of reference back then.
   I don't know how much of customer base is brand new folks learning something new like I was but I was able to undertake that first project as a customer because I could make a connection to the logs size and the price.   That helped me initially understand that many folks simply have no basis for knowing what to expect.     Helping them understand probably  makes for repeat business.
   It did in my case with member Sawyer Brown until a dang new Boardwalk 40 followed me home one day and I decided to have a go at cutting my own hobby lumber.  Just my experience.

hacknchop

When i was sawing someone elses logs in my own yard i charged by the bdft flat rate no matter what dimension had my own support equipment ready, now on the road charged strictly by the hr otherwise customers would have me sawing all kinds of junkie logs and would sit back and watch me struggle with some big log or stickering whereas by the hr they were always quick to help and picky as to what they paid me to saw for them.As far as i know a nominal dimension is a standard set by regulatory boards and not individuals example is 2x4 are 11/2"x31/2 anything under no longer 2x4 becomes5/4x3/12 and does not meet building codes in north america.I do recall working for french  guy and when he wanted 1x4 he would say "Terry cut me some 2x4 an1" thick". :D
Often wrong never indoubt

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 29, 2016, 10:34:39 PM
Some jobs just aren't worth the time and effort.

......but every now and again we've all done it for one reason or another.  :)

Dave Shepard

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 29, 2016, 10:34:39 PM
Dave,

In your case I understand you using an hourly rate. As you noted, this puts the burden of preparation and the quality of the logs on the customer. The disadvantage is it also precludes you from making a bonus when you do get good wood, longer, thicker cuts and things just click where you stand to make more using a bf plan. The disadvantage to the customer is as you describe that they have no firm idea what their cost will be up front. I am sure repeat customers are much more comfortable with an hourly plan since they know they get good value.

I have an hourly rate for small, dirty logs and specialty cutting when it is not economically feasible for me to cut. Many of us also have both a bf and hourly rate for similar reasons. My goal is to provide a good service at a competitive rate but going broke in the process is not part of my plan. Some jobs just aren't worth the time and effort.

The way I see it, if the customer has really nice logs, then they get a bonus by having reduced sawing costs. Either way, I have covered what I need to operate the mill. If a customer wants to saw ugly, then they need to understand that sawing non-standard products will affect the board foot cost. As to not knowing in advance what it might cost them to saw their logs, I can give a pretty good estimate of what to expect. There are a couple of downsides to sawing for the rate that I charge. The first is, it sounds like a lot of money, even though it is probably about the same as a footage rate for decent logs. If someone pressed for a footage rate, I would  probably make more money in most instances. The second is that as I add handling equipment, my production rate goes up, and I will need to have a higher hourly rate. Even though the footage rate would probably stay the same for each type of sawing, like the $0.23 for pine and the $0.52 for white oak, my hourly output would go up, as well as my inputs and overhead. It's a tossup, if I can't cover the cost of higher production, then there is no point in doing it. The only way I would do a footage rate would be to specify what constitutes a "well manufactured*" log, and a set volume of logs, probably 5mbf or more.

* Well manufactured meaning 8'6"x10" minimum, well trimmed, evenly cut with no stump shot. Straight within set sweep limits, no rot, or rot scaled as sound, etc. Basically the same thing you would expect when selling logs to a commercial mill or broker.

WV Sawmiller

Dave,

Well stated.

I figure most important is for the customer to understand his and my responsibility and rates before starting the job. I probably send away as many or more customers as I accept because I find they don't understand what they want or need, want to use the wrong kind of wood for their application, etc. I tell them up front I will saw for them but they need to understand the ramifications up front. Most seem happy for the lesson and we both leave happy even if I don't get the job.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

A friedn wanted me to saw some cedar logs for him.  This is what he showed up with. Had to be a GOOD FRIEND.  Customers will bring the most awful looking junk to be sawn.  That is why I do very little custom sawing.  I refer them to someone else. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andries

Jake brought you those logs all the way from Rentz?
Danny, it could be that YOU'RE the really good friend!
;D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

Danny, Cookies from those small cedar limbs sell well at thrift/antique/flea stores.  I have no idea why.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

YAWN......those Cedars will makes some good paneling. Good thread David.

:D

Thank You Sponsors!