iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Indroduction with some pics.

Started by acrosteve, July 27, 2013, 09:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dboyt

No question, I would have brought that log home.  Nice haul!  What are the plans for the burl?  I've often put up board & batton siding the same day I milled it.  The key is to use one nail in the center of the board with the side toward the center of the log on the outside so that the cup pulls against the nail.  The boards shrink 8% to 10% in width, but only insignificantly (about .1%) in length.

Logs end sealed and stored under cover should be fine, but i'd still keep them off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

acrosteve

No specific plans for the burl.  It was part of a blow down and i saved it.  I don't really have a decent lathe for turning bowls, but who knows.

Originally, in exchange for me sawing up the walnut for him, my buddy just offered to help with with some of my other sawing(he has run a band saw himself in the past), Well, with the extra log we brought, I will end up with some of that too. ;D.  Not sure if you can make it out, but there are quite a few crotches in the top of that.

Speaking of that.... are there any guidelines for cutting blanks for gun stocks?

When I put up the B&B, I am using 12" wide boards with two nails 3" apart in the center.  Then the batons are 3" with one nail in the center.  I understand that if the board is wider than 8", go with two nails. 
Timberking B-20

drobertson

for gun stocks,    2-1/8 plain sawn, and as much figure as you can get, cut off at 3', wax the ends and sticker.  bout as good as you can get.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!