iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Larger Diameter Thin Cookies

Started by DR Buck, August 19, 2013, 05:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I had a call today from a potential customer that wants cookies cut from log sections that are ~22" diameter.   I explained the tendency of cookies to split while drying and he didn't seem to care.   He wants to make a table 30" high out of 'stacked" cookies.   smiley_headscratch   He would like them cut into 1/2" thick cookies.    I quoted an outrages hourly rate to do this and he said OK.  ::)   

Anyone done cookies this size before?  Did you have any success at it?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

beenthere

Seem pretty thin to be able to handle them after sawing. 
But I'd lay that on him, to be there to remove them as you cut them.
His responsibility as soon as the blade goes through.

What species?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redprospector

I've done lot's of cookies that size when racing chainsaws, and practicing. They're pretty tough when they come off a green log, but as they dry they will crack and bust all to pieces.
Best advice I can give you is make sure your bar will go all the way through the log, and keep your chain SHARP

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have never sawn cookies this big at 1/2" thick.
Just guessing......I don't think it will work. At 1/2", these cookies will crumble during drying time.

If a table is gonna be made, I'd saw them at least 3/4" and plane them down after drying. But stacking them to 30 inches high? This is a new idea to me. Hope it works out for you.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

redprospector raised a point, and I was assuming this was on a band mill, not a chainsaw.

::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

I'm thinking whatever method is does not matter, cut them, stack them together, and soak them with water,  and be ready for some rejects, cut plenty,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

DR Buck

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 19, 2013, 06:50:41 PM
I have never sawn cookies this big at 1/2" thick.
Just guessing......I don't think it will work. At 1/2", these cookies will crumble during drying time.

If a table is gonna be made, I'd saw them at least 3/4" and plane them down after drying. But stacking them to 30 inches high? This is a new idea to me. Hope it works out for you.

I'm cutting them with my LT40HDG25.   No way would I do it with a chainsaw.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Planman1954

My sister wants me to cut oak cookies 1 1/2" thick for a wedding. I have Norwood lumbermate. Anyone have a picture of a clamping technique that is safe? Thanks.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

hackberry jake

Make sure he coats them with a wood stabilizer like pentacryl and the number of cracked rejects will go way down.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dan_Shade

it's a bad idea to run end grain through a planer.

the results can be very exciting.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

:D :D :D  Some people like excitement. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dan_Shade on August 19, 2013, 09:20:12 PM
it's a bad idea to run end grain through a planer.

the results can be very exciting.

You are right Dan. I was the one above that said planer. But to clarify, I use a POWER hand planer on dry cookies. It does wonders and not to much excitement.  :D

drobertson

Sanding is the only way,  displace and replace the sap, by whatever means,  david

Dan_Shade

a sander does a very nice job with end grain.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

redbeard

I have used A wide 2x plank clamped to bed then use deck screws and fasten it going in at a angle. I've done a lot of oval cuts.  1/2" seems pretty thin hope its tight grain. Exiting the cut its going to wanna stay with the blade. Have someone grab them.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

WDH

Quote from: Dan_Shade on August 19, 2013, 09:47:03 PM

Yes, but end grain is tough to sand, so you have to sand, sand, sand, and sand.  Then, sand, sand, and sand.  Then, sand some more  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bogue Chitto

This was cut with a saw mill about a year ago.  It did split. 

WDH

Did you sand, sand, sand, sand, and sand it  ???  ;D.

Bogue Chitto

Quote from: WDH on August 19, 2013, 10:15:05 PM
Did you sand, sand, sand, sand, and sand it  ???  ;D.
No, just cut it with Wood Mizer.  Son took it to school for shop class to put on display.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on August 19, 2013, 10:02:25 PM
Quote from: Dan_Shade on August 19, 2013, 09:47:03 PM

Yes, but end grain is tough to sand, so you have to sand, sand, sand, and sand.  Then, sand, sand, and sand.  Then, sand some more  :).

Take it to the beach and work on it.  ;D

Dan_Shade

I tried a section with my newly acquired drum sander :-)

isawlogs

Quote from: Planman1954 on August 19, 2013, 09:10:01 PM
My sister wants me to cut oak cookies 1 1/2" thick for a wedding. I have Norwood lumbermate. Anyone have a picture of a clamping technique that is safe? Thanks.

Check this you tube, right up your alley,  :) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMhhbqe6YcM

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Planman1954

Thanks for posting the video....I'm on it!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Planman1954 on August 19, 2013, 09:10:01 PM
I cut a stack of 12" diameter cookies that thickness for a wedding, in June. They used them rough and fairly wet as centerpieces.  No picture but my standard method (LT-40)-put a 3/4" piece of plywood spanning two rails where the clamp is, a bit narrower in width than the piece to be held.  Put a 2x3 with 3" dimension vertical, against the stops and clamp the piece sitting on the plywood, against the 2x3.  The plywood is not clampled but it is very solid.  Then cut off the cookies as far down as I can.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Planman1954

Peter Drouin

It;s easy :D sharp blade and go slow :D

All hemlock. for a walk way ::) :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!