iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Almost a new record for destroying a blade

Started by caveman, January 11, 2014, 03:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

JMoore and I were sawing a few longleaf pine logs this morning.  Most of what we saw will be used to side the kiln we are building but we had a friend call and need a few 2"x12"x8' s to do a project at his house. 

We were using a blade that was still cutting straight but in the heart pine it cut really slow.  Once we got the log down to a cant, we put on a once sharpened re-sharp blade so that we could provide our friend with some really nice 2"x8" s.  When the blade clutch was engaged, the blade just didn't seem to run as smoothly as it should.  We checked a few adjustments and decided to try it.  I made it about 2" into the cant and the band broke.  It tried to escape through the dust chute but the fingers in the chute prevented that.  After the failure, we looked and found lots of cracks in the band.  We did not notice them prior to using it but they must have been there.  None of the belts were damaged.  We put on another re-sharp and it cut great.  The only other time I ruined a band this quickly is when I hit three nails in the first inch of a cut on some "clean" utility poles of JMoore's father in law.  John took a few pictures--maybe he will post them. 
Caveman
Caveman

highleadtimber16

That's happened to me a couple times, it is frustrating. Though it's not as bad as when you engage the clutch and just at that moment, realize that you forgot to put tension on the blade.  :D
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Ga Mtn Man

When I first got the mill, I was careless and missed one of the "shoulders" that the blade cover rests on when reinstalling it after a blade change.  It took a few seconds to figure out that that weird noise wasn't normal.  By then I had trashed a new blade and plowed a nice groove into the inside of the blade cover.  I'm pretty sure that must be the record. :) 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That blade was ruined before you put it on.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

Yep.  I really shouldn't be allowed anywhere near complicated machinery. :laugh:
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

red oaks lumber

i opened a new blade(coiled) on the concrete floor not realizing the blade was coiled opposite of normal, it hit the floor,bounced and slid making sounds you only find in a chinese phonebook. sure enough bent most every tooth to a nice 45 deg angle.
note to self... self new procedure on band opening, throw them in the sawdust pile  :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Cedarman

Quote from: highleadtimber16 on January 11, 2014, 09:37:33 PM
That's happened to me a couple times, it is frustrating. Though it's not as bad as when you engage the clutch and just at that moment, realize that you forgot to put tension on the blade.  :D
Highlead, I have some very discouraging news for you.  After 30 years it will still happen.  I know and you know why I know. :D :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Chuck White

Talk about frustrating!

Last year, after a day of sawing, it was time to set and sharpen blades!

I uncoiled and checked each of the blades for cracks!

I put blade #1 on the setter and set side 1, inverted the blade and proceded to set side 2, got to the next to the last tooth and there was a crack that I hadn't noticed!  smiley_furious3
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

5quarter

Quote from: highleadtimber16 on January 11, 2014, 09:37:33 PM
... realize that you forgot to put tension on the blade.  :D

This has never happened to me ::)  :-X
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Cedarman

For some of us there needs to be a blade not tensioned buzzer like seat belt not fastened buzzer.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

isawlogs

I would not disconnect, I would throw  it away. One needs some excitement in a days work, only if it is an untensioned blade  ;D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

dboyt

First time I fired up my new Norwood mill, I skipped the part about adjusting the tracking.  Brand new blade came flying off and kinked up like a pretzel before it ever touched the wood.

I try to remember to hit the kill switch when I un-tension the blade as a reminder.  Nothing is fool-proof, and as everyone who has been around a mill knows, there are a lot of ways to mess up.  As long as you walk away with all your fingers & toes, it's all good.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Magicman

When I de-tension at lunchtime I always hang my work apron on the tension lever.  That way, the reminder is always there to re-tension, but of course, I have never needed a reminder.   :o   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

highleadtimber16

I usually hang my earmuffs on the handle. This time I decided to quit for the day. I took the tension off and was letting the engine cool down before shutting it off. Then I thought, "Just one more cut". All I managed to cut was some WM paint  :D
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

caveman

A week later...pictures. The broken blade tried to escape through the dust chute. 

That is how far we were able to cut with the blade prior to its failure.
Caveman
Caveman

highleadtimber16

Better than being 3 inches from the end of the cut.  :D
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: caveman on January 18, 2014, 09:56:40 PM
The broken blade tried to escape through the dust chute.
That's why I always instruct my helpers to stay away from that side of the machine! :o :)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

LittleJohn

Worse one I had was cutting Frozen Oak into 6/4 for a farmer, something to do with needing lumber to rebuild stansions or something.  Broke first resharpened blade within first foot of cut, then broke second resharpened blade about 4' into log, at this point I pulled out a new blade, reduced cutting speed and charged the guy by the hour instead of BF. Also didn't help that it was about -15°F (BRUTAL)

Thank You Sponsors!