iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help finding used Jonsered saw/parts please?

Started by David B, November 15, 2005, 09:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David B

Brought this over form the General Board, DanG suggestied I try you "saw geeks". Thanks.

Howdy...new member. Part-time sawyer from Californy, land of the fruits and nuts. I'm a nut.  8)Spent most of my boyhood in the woods in Washington State...hadn't messed with trees much since, til some friends of mine needed some big Salt Cedars (Google that, pretty interesting) removed. So I jumped in to help, of course, with my saw (more on that below), truck (I love the smell of diesel in the morning) and 8N (gotta love old tractors!) Still need to build a couple implements at my family's business (www.wymoreinc.com) for the tractor to finish the job . They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so maybe the best way to introduce myself is to post a linky to my Yahoo! Photo album. Browse around and you'll see who I am. The folder called Soboleski's contains my tree adventures of late. Good to meet ya'll, take care.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dmbyrum8185/my_photos

I have a 1997 Jonsered 2050 that was given to me in lieu of wages, rarely used, like new. Dropped it and broke the plastic housing and brake handle in middle of a job. It's my only saw. Missed TWO auctions on Ebay for 2050s, none left, can't find any on the net.  I waited for a week for one auction to end and missed it. Now I really need a saw! Thanks for any ideas/recommendations. Like to get a parts saw, or running one and use mine for parts, whatever..  Grin - David.
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

David B

Thanks...but I don't see any 2050 stuff. Mine was made in 97, when did they go from 20 to 21? '97 doesn't seem THAT long ago...How old are the three-digit model I see?

David B

Ran across this somewhere....true?

My brother and me bought 2 new Jonsereds ,both 2083s,to clean up 40 acres of big cedar and a few big white oaks on his neighbors farm.The saws were heavy but they cut good.I had a mishap and ran over mine with a tractor,and broke the top cover and rear handle.I had heard that Jonsereds and Husqvarnas were the same thing,but no Husky parts worked.The dealer said that Poulan Pros were just yellow Jonsereds ,and he was right.He sold me a junk 505 Poulan Pro with a stuck engine and the parts fit right on mine.I later learned that Electrolux owns Poulan Pro ,Jonsered,and Husqvarna.Some Huskys and Jonsereds are the same,and some Poulan Pros and Huskys are the same.I also heard that they bought out Pioneer saws.Pioneers were some tough old saws and they discontinued them for some reason.But back to your question,the Jonsereds we used had power to spare and held up great.Just keep an eye on all the bolts,they seem to loosen up pretty often.

SawTroll

Quote from: David B on November 15, 2005, 09:39:02 PM
Thanks...but I don't see any 2050 stuff. Mine was made in 97, when did they go from 20 to 21? '97 doesn't seem THAT long ago...
I think late in 2000 is a good guess (effective per 2001 catalog).

The new saws were basically the same as Husky 350 etc, and a completely different design.

Quote from: David B on November 15, 2005, 09:39:02 PM
...How old are the three-digit model I see?
If you are referring to the 520 SP, it was 1981 to 1984 according to CSCC.

It was a "semi-pro" model, not "top of the line".
Information collector.

David B

I'm considering buying another larger saw to use on larger stuff and while my 2050 is down. Recommendations? I want somehting with plenty of power to cut stuff this size ( 2'-3' Salt Cedars). Also more common = dealer support. I may end up doing more of this (for $,fun part time), which is why I'm thinking about another saw. Thanks guys.

David B

The 455 rancher is all over ebay...but it's not much bigger than this 2050 I may never get running again...

Cut4fun

David B

WOOT! Thanks...now how to i GET the thing...missed 2 already. Hate the Ebay gamble.

Cut4fun

Also there is a Jonsered 670  forsale there. Just type in Jonsered and look at all the items forsale. The 670  is 67cc compared to the 49cc of the 2050. If you are staying in that brand, it is supposed to be a good saw. Hearsay from others, never run one.
Bid your max bid and it will proxy bid for you, remember shipping cost added in to bid price.  Dont get in a bidding war either, they use friends to bid up you price sometimes. Just bid what its worth to you or snipe bid at the end to over bid someone in the last seconds, but then you have to be there on top of the auction coming down. I would bid my max and let it ride. Ebay will let you know if you won or lost in the end.

chet

David b
Try this link, you should be able to locate a dealer and parts from here.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

SawTroll

Quote from: David B on November 15, 2005, 10:10:59 PM
Ran across this somewhere....true?
..........I later learned that Electrolux owns Poulan Pro ,Jonsered,and Husqvarna.Some Huskys and Jonsereds are the same,and some Poulan Pros and Huskys are the same.I also heard that they bought out Pioneer saws......
I have no knowledge of any Poulan Pros that were "the same" as any Huskys, but otherwise it is true.

I wrote this in another tread here:

"The Poulan Pro 475 and 505 was rebagded Jonsered 2077 and 2083 (not 2083 II), which was really a Partner design (P7700 - the first saw with "Air Injection"). The 415/425 were 65 cc versions of the same saw (never sold as Jreds).
What I still don't know about this is if they were made at the Jonsered or the Husky factory.  :D

At least some Poulan Pro models (the 365 is an example) were sold as Partners in Europe some time ago, and smaller "homeowner" Poulans still is.

I also think that some early Poulan Pros were either rebadged og based on Pioneer designs - but I am not sure of this. ???

Funny, this E-lux story.....  :D
"

The above is only the summit of an iceberg, and I am pretty sure that the last "pure" Jonsereds was the 910 and 510 from 1979. All the later ones were influenced either by Husky or Partner designs - or both.
Information collector.

David B

Think I've got the Jonsy covered (FINALLY!) You guys prolly got tired of hearing about it. Thanks much for the help. I will keep all this info for next time, also wouldn't mind having another running or parts 2050...you never know...  ;D

Next order of business : I've got to finish up these Salt Cedars I'm working on...this will be interesting, I'll be posting pictures, etc. You old fashioned get it done with what you have guys and guys who like old tractors n stuff will enjoy it. Next I will prolly be taking down a  Eucalyptus in town. Manlift or Arborist style. May also start doing this part time. I love it! Any thougts on the Euc? Is it valuable? Firewood? I'll have pix  later for recommendations on taking it down.

Once I get all this junk on the ground, the issue is going to be cutting it up. I'm not thinking my Jonsy will be up to it, unless maybe I get real handy tuning and doing a little modding. Family has a machine/welding shop, so I'm familiar with working on stuff.  SO mebbe a new saw...what yall think? Thanks have a good one! - Dave Idby

Thank You Sponsors!