iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I don't know wha tthis log is

Started by bakerhardwoods, June 16, 2013, 07:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Basswood does not have the cinnamon color once you knock off the very outer layer of bark. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

Wood's not dark enough for butternut.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 19, 2013, 05:24:12 AM
Wood's not dark enough for butternut.

Black willow fuzzes up like that when you cut it. Just sayin' 8)

How about a nice, clean X section shot at magnified macro? That would settle it real quick like. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Okrafarmer

Also looks a wee bit like black gum. But the bark doesn't look right.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

ancjr

bakerhardwoods

I know it isn't sassafras or tulip poplar.  I'm pretty sure it isn't cottonwood.  I"m assuming at the moment that it is basswood, it is very soft.  But I do not know black willow at all.

What could I do with an ordinary camera to help?

mesquite buckeye

Most digital cameras have a macro setting. This will get you close. Then use the zoom feature to get it bigger. Cut a slice of the end grain with a very sharp knife or a razor blade. Same deal with the side grain.  Take picture. Post. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Yes, pic of sharp slice of the end grain.  Sassafras is ring porous, basswood is diffuse porous, and cottonwood is semi-diffuse porous. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CCC4

WDH, Sir I am sorry but I don't think this is sassafras. Unless the color is lessened due to region perhaps? The wood just seems too light in color if you compare to our sassafras. Plus the sassafras here, when cut with a Hydro Ax, as I figure the OP's log was cut with the same...usually turns much darker at the cutting surface. Wouldn't the OP be able to notice the smell of sassafras? I mean, ya just can't hardly mistake or miss the smell....a beautiful smell IMO

And in no way do I think it's Tupelo.

Does it look like pig nut hickory or cottonwood?

Not trying to argue in any ways Sir, and I hope I have not over stepped my bounds.

SwampDonkey

Our basswood up north don't have diamond figured bark like in the OP. I have some short logs in the barn and the bark ain't even close. However older willow will have that bark pattern and some species get quite big. We don't have any black willow that I have ever seen. I've seen black willow NW of the 'Golden Horseshoe' in Ontario and it's about as big as balm-of-gilead in girth.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Rob-IL

I grew up around logging but chose to be a heavy equipment mechanic for several years. Later in life my interest changed so my cousin and myself went into logging on our own in 1988.

Autocar

I agree Basswood/American Linden .
Bill

WDH

No clean slice of the end grain, yet  :).

ancjr

It is an exact match to the bark of my sassafras, but mine has almost no sapwood.

Dodgy Loner

The bark is a dead ringer for sassafras, but the wood...not so much. I would say a close up of cleanly sliced end grain would settle this. If its ring-porous, it will be immediately obvious.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Ron Wenrich

Not in the sassafras camp on this one.  It looks more like basswood.  Basswood will turn color around the bark like that when its cut.  Makes good carving stock for duck decoys.

We have no cottonwood in this area, so I don't know what the logs look like.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

JoshEvans

Groundsman for Snell Tree Experts LLC in N.C.

mesquite buckeye

Looks just like the size, bark and wood of a black willow I cut down at the edge of my pond. We still need a closeup. ;D 8) 8) 8)

SwampDonkey

The sassafras bark pic could just as easily be ash in these parts. They start out brownish and then go gray with age.

billporterfield

S.Hyland

I would say definitely Basswood. The Basswood up here is a dead ringer. The heartwood tends to get quite dark towards the center. 
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

Thank You Sponsors!