iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer / Nyle Kiln Controller - Fire !

Started by DR_Buck, April 05, 2009, 08:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

I went out to check on my kiln load today and got a big surprise.   First thing I noticed was there wasn't any power to the DH-4000 controller.  :(    The circulation fans were running so I knew the breaker hadn't tripped. Then I got a whiff of the burnt electronics smell.     smiley_fireman_hat

Here's what I found inside after I removed the cover.  :(  :o :( :o :(

This is the inside of the DH-4000 controller.  Look closely at the back right corner for the input power terminal block.   It's burnt pretty bad.

Here is a close up of the burnt terminal block.   Totally destroyed.

My assessment is the screws in one side the terminal block came loose and heat built up and got the plastic hot enough to melt and finally catch fire.  The small wire to ON-OFF switch was burnt in half right at the screw connection.  This caused the power to go off and stop the current flow.   The fire then went out.

I replaced all of the burned wires and was able to make temporary connections to get the kiln up and going again.   Tomorrow I'll head to the local electrical supplier and get a replacement terminal block.   

While I was inside the box I tightened all of the terminal and relay screws.   Quite a few of them were loose.   I'd recommend anyone that has one of these controllers (DH-4000 and Nyle 200)  take some time and open the box (with the power off) check to make sure the screws are tight.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

brdmkr

Thanks DR_Buck!  I'm sorry that you had a problem, glad that you caght it before it got bad, and thankful that you posted.  I am loading my kiln in plans of drying my first load this week.  I'll be sure to check all of the terminals!

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

thecfarm

That's too bad.Looks like to me you was some lucky.Could of been a lot worse. Thanks for sharing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Den Socling

That goes for all connections made with stranded wire. It is good to check them soon after installation to make certain the strands haven't crushed. It should be part of yearly maintenance thereafter.

trim4u2nv

One trick I used to do on control boxes was stretch some thermal fax paper (comes in  rolls) across control boxes and leave it taped across until it started to turn black.  Any hotspots will be much darker than cool spots.   Many cash register receipt papers will also turn black when exposed to excessive heat.   One of the heaters in my moulder was melted and I couldn't even see the problem.  The paper trick showed the fault before it nearly caught on fire.   Another time I found loose 6ga stranded wire in a ripsaw the same way.   The wire was dark brown almost black from overheating.  Found a stripped lug connection.  I just placed the paper across the inside of the hinged door and let the paper develop while the saw was running.  Energy audit companies have a thermal camera they can use to check for hotspots also.  Much cheaper than a burned down building.

Thank You Sponsors!