iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

End Sealer--Green Wood

Started by 333_okh, January 08, 2006, 02:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

333_okh

What product is the best for sealing the ends of wet blocks of walnut, maple, oak, and fruitwood?

I have had Anchorseal, Woodcraft, and Rockler suggested as the right stuff.

I have tried melted waxes and special paintes and do not find them totally suitable.

So what is the best over the counter product for sealing my woods.

333_okh

I do need help because I would hate to have wood like this go to waste!!!!!!!

333_okh

woodhick

I use anchorseal,haven't had any complaints yet.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

333_okh

Do you buy it locally, or do you purchase it from the Internet?

I cannot get it locally

Ianab

UC Coatings for Anchorseal.

https://www.uccoatings.com/uccoat.php

You can order it online or find a local dealer from their web page

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

stumpy

Go to the left and find Baileys. I use their end sealer and it works great.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

333_okh

woodhick

I purchased mine online some time back from anchorseal.  I did find out they have an outlet abut 30 miles from me when I need more.  Go online to the link above and find the closest dealer.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

333_okh

The nearest is almost 400 miles away from my home.

On the Anchor website I could not find out how to buy from them.....The question is, is the can on my link the stuff everyone is talking about? I saw a gallon that was empty that looked different than this one.

Are they the same, is this the Anchorseal?

Ianab

If it's not the same stuff I bet UC Coatings legal dept would like to know about it  ;)

Looks the same, check back on the UC homepage as they do have an online store so you can compare prices / freight costs.

There are several similar products on the market, it's just a wax emulsion, not rocket science. Anchorseal just seems to be the best known, works good and isn't overpriced.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

333_okh

The difference is about $10 a gallon.

Frank_Pender

I know for a fact that some outfits out here buy in large bult and can the the sealer with a generic description.   One outfit sells a quart for $12.95 in a plane tin with their company name and how to use the insides.

I deal with some great folks in the Portland area by the name of Associated Chemistes, Inc.  I deal directly with a fella by the name of Grant Beldin, who is the Regional account manager.   Their number is 1-800-554-4666.  If you have any problems let me know and I might be able to assist.
Frank Pender

SPIKER

hey all:

new to the wood cutting a dn was wondering if there was any ole thing to use to seal the end of logs after they are cut that would be OK to leave on there to let the log set for weeks/months before it is sent to the mill?  something that seals but won't dull the blades?  plain ole latex or enamel paint ?

thanks just trying to learn for now.  seems that what was mentioned above is very expensive.  I was thinking there should be something int he 10 buck/gal range or less...
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

333_okh

I just ordered got the Anchorseal in the mail for 14.99 a gallon.  it is easy to use too.

isassi

Who did you end up ordering from? Jay

getoverit

I just ordered a 5 gallon pail og anchorseal from UC Coatings for $54, which includes shipping... that makes it $10.80/gallon

If you order it by the quart, it's $19.99

looks like it's cheaper the more you buy at a time...

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

jkj

>...looks like it's cheaper the more you buy at a time...

It is cheaper in bulk.  I bought a 55 gal drum and it came out to about $6 and change per gallon.  I won't use that much before it goes bad, but I'm sharing it with members of our woodturning club.  If you can find several people to go in together you can save a lot of money.  (It's up to $20 a gallon in the local stores.)

JKJ in East TN
LT-15 for farm and fun

333_okh

I bought the 5 gallons too.  I have used about one gallon treating burl walnut.

Thank You Sponsors!