iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How far will a cheap planer take me?

Started by scgargoyle, June 16, 2007, 11:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Another alternative for you would be one of the old Belsaw planers.  They seem to be in good supply.  I recently bought one for $200, and ordered new feed rollers and knives for it yesterday.  The order came to $141 including shipping, so I'll have about the same money in it as I do in that wimpy little Ryobi. ::)

Oh yeah, to answer the original question in the title of this thread; The cheap planer will take you all the way to the realization that you need something better. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

scgargoyle

Being a toolmaker, I should know better that a wimpy little tool is not gonna make me happy! Thanks for the heads-up on the Belsaw.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

solidwoods

Flooring will require:
Planer, 12"ers are fine.
Jointer- you have to straighten the edge.
Table saw- rip to width
Miter or Radial arm saw- chop out defects (compound miter saw to angle the ends if you are not coping the flooring ends.
Shaper- 2 passes 1-T  1-G
Powerfeeder for the shaper (you may not think so ,, but I'ma tell'in Ya you'll need one )
Dust collector-your choice here, but its nice for mountains of shavings

The above will allow you to machine to a reasonable degree of accuracy (have to have that)

OR-
Take it to a shop with a 4 side moulder, my rate is: your lumber random  size .70sq' through the moulder.

So depends on which way you go.. 1 way may be cheaper, the other leaves woodworking tools that can continue to make $.
jim

Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Cedarman

We use our WM in place of the rip saw and jointer to prep the wood for the moulder.  Gets uniform widths and a nice straight edge.  Boards with too much side bend are whacked in half first.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!