iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whata ya do in a blizzard?

Started by Larry, January 16, 2022, 10:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Go to the shop!  Got almost 3" of the white stuff dumped on us yesterday and temperature never got out of the 30's!

Fitting tapered tenons into a stool seat.

Drilling legs for the stretchers.

Next up is more stools but these are special.....river stools. :D

Friend came out this morning and I helped her start on a quarter sawn turned Beads of Courage box.

Beads of Courage is a program to help children in the hospital with life threatening dieases.  We build boxes for the kids to store there beads. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

Lovely figure in that quartered stuff. Love your high tech drill. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Have not heard of Beads of Courage.
Good that you are helping.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Quote from: thecfarm on January 17, 2022, 05:41:25 AM
Have not heard of Beads of Courage.
Good that you are helping.
I had not heard of this program.  It should help to bring smiles to the faces of the recipients. Good job!

RPF2509

Andries

We've got clear weather again after about six inches of dry powdery snow.
The wind is picking up to just below blizzard status, so the Trans Canada will probably get locked down tonight. Nobody wants to rescue 18 wheelers in the ditch tonight!

The forecast for the foreseeable is -35, clear and windy. 
Mama Nature has spoken, and experience has shown that it's painful when you get sassy with her.
Sounds like shop-time to me.  :) So, how's my firewood? 

Have you ever hesitated when putting a nice chunk of hardwood into the stove?
I found this inside a nice chunk of ash firewood.

The wood hoarder in me couldn't part with it.

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

That led to me digging in the snow for more ash.
Found a nice chunk and re-sawed some book-matched pieces. They've been edge glued and, so far, not much warping, twisting cupping or other deviant behaviour!
Amazed I am.

Now, there are going to be pithy comments about 'wandering crotch wood' or 'beautiful ash' . . . but I don't have @Old Greenhorn or @Magic Man skills at rebbutal. ;) :D
So, I'll grin and enjoy the banter!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

So, I live in Canada, right?
Out in the Prairies, which looks like your average scene from the movie, 'Dr Zhivago'.
So, I've got a few days to have a thought, as Jake likes to say.
"Hmmmm, if that ash looked THAT good, what else have we got out there in the firewood?" (that's my deep thought, not @Custom Sawyer)
So here's a funky looking reddish lump of firewood that looks like cherry. . .   hmmmmm, Schubert cherry from a tree that my daughter removed because a huge infestation of blacknot. She's missed the tree a lot this summer for it the shade it gave during a long hot summer (yes, we get those too!)
So, lets throw it onto the bandsaw. 
My youngest daughter gave me a ripping guide for Christmas. Have I got great kids or what?

I even read the instructions and still had all my fingers after ripping these pieces out of the firewood.

Whoo, hooo! It's amateur night, and Im doing alright!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

T sum up, I now have all the ingredients for a FF soap opera: a blizzard, some chunks of cherry and a warm shop. The scotch stays in the bottle until the last power tool is shut offf.   :D
A small keep-sake box comes to mind.
How hard could be? . . even for a klutz like me? four sides and a few other sides, or top, or whatever, . . .  right? Finger joints. She likes those, ok, here we go!

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

doc henderson

yes, all that figure does make your ash look big!   :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andries

Rough fit, nothin' a bit of sanding won't fix, right?

There we go, ok for the sides and bottom, now what to do for the top?
As always, I need a little more ash. ;) Who amongst us doesn't hey?
How 'bout like this?

Well, the blizzard is still sending snow flying through the air.
I've got plenty of firewood left . . . . hopefully.
And, the OP's; @Larry  work, is inspirational - if the winter lasts long enough, my skills may come close to his.
It'll take a DanG long winter though. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Quote from: doc henderson on January 18, 2022, 04:59:25 PMyes, all that figure does make your ash look big!   :D :D :D
I might hafta start wearing more Johnny Cash clothes, because black can be so slimming. Apparently.  :o
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Larry

RPF, yes quarter sawn sycamore.  That's the only way I saw sycamore as the boards are less likely to twist.  Hard to sell the lumber but if I build something it goes quick.

Andries, it looks like Arkansas blizzards are slightly different than the blizzards you have up north. :D :D :D  I wouldn't leave your shop until summer, maybe sometime in July right? ;D  Good job on the boxes!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

alan gage

A lot of very nice work in this thread. It's quite cold and windy here on the prairies with about a foot of snow on the ground but I've been having a hard time making myself go out to the shop in the evenings. I have some quarter sawn white oak that needs to be turned into window trim. Maybe tonight. 

As for Arkansas blizzards:
Technically blizzards have a definition, which is something like:
Sustained winds or frequent gusts over 35mph
Heavy snowfall reducing visibility to under 1/4 mile
And lasting for at least 3 hours

If I remember correctly there used to be a requirement that the temperature had to be below a certain level but that meant many people on the east coast felt left out so they lifted that 'rule'.

Blizzard fun fact: Supposedly the word 'blizzard' originated in my little home town of Estherville, Iowa, or at least it's the first known usage of the word. No one really seems to know where it came from. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

WDH

Way down here, it is something that you order at the Dairy Queen.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rjwoelk

Nice book match, looking good, we had less then 150 ft visibility yesterday, wind 40 to 50 mph. Half the night till latter morning. Went from -3 degrees of frozen to -31 in 24 hrs. When you get into your truck and the seat feels like a rock, its too cold to work outside.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Andries

Quote from: WDH on January 19, 2022, 10:59:10 PMWay down here, it is something that you order at the Dairy Queen.  
A buddy in Oakbank went on his Skidoo Blizzard to get a Blizzard at the DQ.
You guys in Georgia @WDH have got this thing figured out!

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

caveman

Nice work Andries.  I think that I would go into hibernation if presented with conditions like that.
Caveman

thecfarm

The only flat area around here like that is a lake or a river.
Snowmobiles at a gas pump is a common sight. 
Except for this year. But I am sure the snow is coming.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

Andries that second picture you posted sent a chill up my spine. I can remember having to feed livestock in those conditions. You can have them.
The projects look great though gentlemen.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

It's 36° here which as far as I am concerned is a blizzard.  Jake, I too vividly remember feeding da cows when it was cold, wet, and sloppy.  Not snow, but still miserable.

PatD assigned this job to me today.  fire_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Usually call up friend Jack Daniels and sit by the fire.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Andries

My call up friend is usually Johnny Walker.
Same idea . . 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

I've been feeling sympathetic to y'all blizzardry , so I made stuff, too.

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!