iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Standing dead

Started by Ohiowood, October 15, 2011, 05:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohiowood

Is standing dead timber ok to burn in a CB 1400E ?

Jeff

You should probably cut it down first.  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ohiowood

stumper

I can not speak directly about the 1400, because I run a 2300.  However, based on that the answer is a decided maybe.  

I have had good luck burning the top 2 thirds of standing dead black cherry.  The bottom third I split and let seasons for a bit but can normally burn it in 2 to 4 weeks mixed with good wood.

No luck burning standing aspen.  Split it and season for 1 to 3 months and it is fine.  

Standing white pine similar to black cherry but I need to mix it all the time as it will not hold coals.

sparky1

Shaun J

Al_Smith

Well if you're from Ohio standing dead would probabley be an ash . This years kill probabley won't burn as good as last years  standing dead. Last years is hard as a rock already if it's a little one .A big one,30 inch or so will only be hard as clay .Plan on using the file often --I know . ;)

Ohiowood

Thanks for the info, yea from Ohio how much do you burn a year?

hockeyguy

Right now I'm burning a bunch of standing dead oak and maple in my 2300. As long as the bark is off it seems to burn well. Great way to get through this time of year without dipping into your good wood.

chevytaHOE5674

A majority of what I burn is once standing dead Aspen. In this weather (40* and 40mph winds) I have to put wood in my stove about once ever 24 hours.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Ohiowood on October 15, 2011, 07:27:00 PM
Thanks for the info, yea from Ohio how much do you burn a year?

About 4-5 cords a year is all .It however is in a wood stove that only runs from late November to mid March .

Ha it's easy to control the heat when it's about zero ,not so easy when it's 35 degrees .Open the window and set around in your undies ,not a pretty sight . :D

Ohiowood

Thanks for all the advice! So being in Ohio you start your stove in late Nov? I have 3 cord as of now that was cut three years ago but not rotten, looks good though ! Where would you get a moisture reader?

Thanks for all your help

Al_Smith

Just toss in in the burner,you don't need a moisture meter for firewood .

Dean186

Quote from: Ohiowood on October 16, 2011, 08:15:51 PM
Thanks for all the advice! So being in Ohio you start your stove in late Nov? I have 3 cord as of now that was cut three years ago but not rotten, looks good though ! Where would you get a moisture reader?

Thanks for all your help

A moisture meter quickly becomes a good diagnostic tool for the outdoor furnace.  It would answer your main question.  I have found some standing dead to be very wet still at the bottom of the tree.  I am never sure why some standing dead trees dry out quicker than others in the same location and dead the same length of time.

I purchased a General brand moisture meter from Amazon, but you might want to check some of the site sponsors.

doctorb

Agree with Dean.  Bailey's, which is part of the Lucas Mill link, has several for sale.  If your interested, this combined link is in the left hand column of sponsors seen on every page of the FF.

While my experience is not great compared to others on the Forum, the standing dead timber I have burned has varied in its water content.  You've got a better chance of getting good fuel with the smaller diameter limbs at the top of the tree than the thicker trunk.  Certainly, the duration of time that the tree has been standing dead is a factor, but I also think that standing dead that has shed its bark is much better than a dead tree with a full coating of intact bark.  Just becasue you know a tree has been standing dead for years does not guarantee immediate high quality wood for burning.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ohiowood

Thanks for all the advice !  Dean186. Do you have any suggestion or thoughts to pass on, you seem to be the only one that I can tell has a boiler like mine.

Thanks

Autocar

Good come back Jeff  :D  :D
Bill

woodmills1

standing dead.,,,,,,,.....  cut it down 8)...........burn it......... :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Al_Smith

Quote from: Ohiowood on October 16, 2011, 08:15:51 PM

So being in Ohio you start your stove in late Nov?
Well yeah ! It's a well insulated tad over 2000 sq feet .It's too much of a nuisance to fiddle with unless it's in the 20's temp wise . I've got a geothermal that runs when the temp is moderate and actually could handle it no matter how cold it gets .Very seldom though in cold weather does it even kick on ,the stove does the heating ,toasty .

thecfarm

I have found some of my dead trees still have water in the wood. I split it and the water oozes out of it. But this is dead standing,softwood, white pine and fir with no bark on it. I have very little hardwood that dies of any size. The Heatmor will burn it and I get heat from it. I cut most of my wood when snow is on the ground. Too busy in the summer doing other things.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

It probabley depends on what it is and how long dead .The small ash I've taken down grave yard dead were pretty dry .The 30 inchers still held a certain amount  of moisture but ash is pretty dry any way .

Wind tossed oak can stay wet for decades .Standing dead for that matter can also but not to the same degree from what I've seen .

Oak can be an odd one .On a live one or dead  that seems solid can have a hollow spot that must hold 50 gallons water .Phew ,talk about stink like a bucket of hogs behinds ,put a skunk to shame ,yuck .Hollow maple and ash can get pretty ripe but nothing like an oak .

woodmills1

around here standing dead oak no bark no branches burn it tomorow

standing dead ash, might have half punky, but burn it tomorrow

dead already fallen over needs time to dry

hollow trees hold water
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dean186

Yesterday I blocked a large Ponderosa Pine tree that measured about 2.5 feet across at the base.  It had been hit by lightning 3 to 4 years ago and stood dead until the wind blew it over a few weeks ago. 

At the top it measured a moisture content of less than 12%.

At midway the moisture content was 17%.

The large blocks at the base were 20 to 30%. 

Note:  (A freshly cut green Ponderosa pine tree will measure 50% moisture content.)

Point is: Some standing dead trees, like pine, that still have the bark on them, can be too wet to burn efficiently after several years.

Al_Smith

Ya know In my lifetime I've probabley only ever dropped less than half a dozen pines of any kinds .They are transplants and none are native .This summer one of the trimmers dropped off maybe a half cord of something .

I was going to split the stuff in case someone wanted some smokey camp fire wood because it's something you just don't burn in a wood stove .Good grief after fighting a half dozen rounds in a hydraulic splitter I gave up .That limby wet pine is just about the most nasty stuff I ever dealt with . If they want it they can either use my splitter or haul it away whole .I'm done with it .That stuff won't burn very easily either when green .Much to my surprise after the hub hub of wild fires .Of course this is Ohio too not Utah or northern California .

Thank You Sponsors!