iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I hit a little dog today!

Started by WoodChucker, July 27, 2003, 06:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Quote from: Kirk Allen on September 30, 2005, 08:47:42 AM
Arky that sure looks like a LT70 Dog.  Did you upgrade with telling us? 8)

smiley_headscratch  Things that make you go ... Hummmm???   smiley_headscratch
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

D Martin

My doggies are round stake holes that I slide 3 inch pvc pipe into. I still beware of dogs though

Gilman

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

DR Buck

What he said ???

QuoteArky that sure looks like a LT70 Dog.  Did you upgrade with telling us?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

ARKANSAWYER

Nope! not yet.  That was a photo taken up at WM open house at Mt Vernon a year or so back.   Since I would never do something so crule as cut my dog I had to use another photo.  ::)
ARKANSAWYER

Brucer

Quote from: Cedarman on September 29, 2005, 11:01:33 PM
You would think that will all the electronic gizmos and such out there it would not be to hard to connect the log dog height to the blade height and make a buzzer sound if the dog was higher than the blade.

Mount an infra-red range-finder on the saw head, level with the blade and pointing down the mill just in line with the side stops. Set it to flash a light or sound a buzzer if it detects anything within the length of the mill.

Note to self: be sure not to park the truck just beyond the end of the mill, or it'll trigger the sensor as the carriage reaches the end of the cut  :(.

'Nother note to self: this thing will also detect a branch sticking out from the side of the log. Don't think you can just saw through that branch, 'cause you'll rip the detector off the mill >:(.

Maybe this needs some more thinking ;D.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

PawNature

I hit my little dog today to. It didn't squeal though just kinda winned a little bit.  Like you woodchucker I was thinking of the dog while i was changing the blade. I don't know what happened but I should have got my mind off the dog and back on the blade cause I didn't do something right and when I powered up it jumped off and ruined another one. DanG Dog.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

ely

had a couple good hits the past weekend. once i skimmed over a log dog and thought i missed it because i did not hear any noise this time. ::) but upon further review i seen some shiny marks on the surface of said dog. while i was still thinking a/b that near miss i pushed my mill into a broom handle that my help left leaning on the end of the mill. no big deal except it had a metal handle in it. >:(

Murf

I'm not exactly being on the top of the knowledge heap when it comes to sawing, but .........

It seems to me it would be fairly easy to put an optical warning device directly in front of the band that would warn if there was anything in the way of the band, other than a cant. that is.

A cheap laser and sensor set comes to mind.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

toxedo_2000

Hi, I am new to this forum
But I have already read a lot of messages on  the different forums, looking for a log loader device.
Finaly I found one I made today. Thanks a lot to the contributors.
But for the subject:
On my mill, I have a device that stop the travelling before the blade hit the dog. It is just a curved rod. The dogs have a piece of metal welded at the back. If the dogs are to high for the blade, your pushing movement is stopped. I can say I saved a lot of blades until now.
If I only new  how to post a photo I would show you... :-\
Toxedo
Toxedo
Why walk when you can fly

PawNature

Quote from: toxedo_2000 on November 28, 2005, 06:47:01 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum
But I have already read a lot of messages on  the different forums, looking for a log loader device.
Finaly I found one I made today. Thanks a lot to the contributors.
But for the subject:
On my mill, I have a device that stop the travelling before the blade hit the dog. It is just a curved rod. The dogs have a piece of metal welded at the back. If the dogs are to high for the blade, your pushing movement is stopped. I can say I saved a lot of blades until now.
If I only new  how to post a photo I would show you... :-\
Toxedo

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?board=16.0

Plenty of help on posting fotos here
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

D._Frederick

Here is my solution to sawing-up the "log-dogs".  I got tired of having rolled-up damaged or broken blades form sawing into the metal saw parts. I have a SCR drive for the carriage that works with limit switches.  I have a "cat-whisker"  switch that makes contact with a probe on the lay-down log post. It is set so that when the whisker is within ¾ inches of the probe, it shuts down the carriage drive. Before starting to saw, I make sure that the clamp post is lower than the log post.

Below is the cat-whisker switch that is mounted ahead of the saw blade.

Since the mill is in storage, I couldn't get to a fold-down log post for a picture. I clamped on a pencil to represent the probe.
Below is the probe shown on the fold down log-post.

Below is a picture showing the relationship between cat-whisker switch and the lay-down log post probe.

I only ruined one blade since is install this safety switch and it was because I didn't believe it when the carriage stopped moving.

sprucebunny

Welcome to the Forum, Toxedo_2000 ;D  I'll bet that you have a Champion sawmill  ;)

Just watch out for the clamping cams  ;)

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

pigman

When I got my mill in 1998, I thought and thought and came up with a great way to keep from hitting mill parts when sawing. 8)  I just lower all stops, clamps, loading arms and other mill parts below the plane the blade is traveling in. I wonder if I can get a patent on my unique idea. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

bcraw98

I was infringing on your unique idea, but still hit the dog with my first brand new band blade   :o  >:(  :D  8)  8) In my case, your idea may need to be improved before patented.
Wife and best Friend, 3 girls and a boy, son-in-law, lots of land, horses, cows, and trees. Life is Good

redpowerd

i like that curb feeler from d.f., ill have to put one on the kasco, once i hit a dog... ::) ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

toxedo_2000

Quote from: sprucebunny on November 28, 2005, 10:26:50 PM
Welcome to the Forum, Toxedo_2000 ;D  I'll bet that you have a Champion sawmill  ;)

Just watch out for the clamping cams  ;)

Yep ! It is the same kind of device. But my mill is a Gilbert. And for the cam, I solved the problem. Every time I adjust de dogs, I also adjust the cam a little bit lower. And they are painted with fire red paint. Never hit one at this time. It is just a mather of discipline. :-)
Toxedo

A
Toxedo

sprucebunny

Yes, Toxedo. The same mill Sciere Mobile Gilbert. ;D

That's good advice about the cams ....I'll try to remember :D

Have you had your mill very long ?

I got mine in July but haven't sawed alot. This winter I'll be stockpiling wood.

Which engine do you have ?

toxedo_2000

Quote from: sprucebunny on December 01, 2005, 08:38:40 PM
Yes, Toxedo. The same mill Sciere Mobile Gilbert. ;D

That's good advice about the cams ....I'll try to remember :D

Have you had your mill very long ?

I got mine in July but haven't sawed alot. This winter I'll be stockpiling wood.

Which engine do you have ?

I have it since november 2004. I did not saw many hours, but I sew a lot. I did make about all the wood I needed for the renovation of my house.
The motor is a Kohler 20 HP.
I also made a film  on the use of the mill. Since I was alone to film and to work, it was a very good,  plaisant and challenging experience. But at the end, I had a complete documentary about the way to work with that kind of mill. I just gave the product of my editing to Mr. Gilbert. I think he was very glad. :)

As I said, I did not have any trouble with the dogs, but I sew the tail of the jack that I use to level the log during the first hour.  :o
Fortunately it was aluminium.  ???

In the 2 past days, I have been confronted with a really big log, 36 inches in diameter. That kind of log is to big for my mill, because it cannot take more than 23 inches wide and 32 inches high. So I had to make the log a little bit slimmer with the chainsaw. Time consuming. But after 15 or 16 hours of work, I had around 1250 feet  of that nice white pine. Most of them are boards 22 inches wide, 8 feet long. I must say there were 3 like this one

I had to wash the logs with a pressure system. It was full of stone sticked to the bark

I think I successfully poste few pics Tox 8)

Toxedo

davemartin88

I have a new mill and haven't hit a dog yet-- can the blade be resharpened or is it a write off? Or does it depend on how much metal you cut?  Just wondered, thanks.

sprucebunny

I bet you got some nice clear boards out of that one, Toxedo ;D Lookin' good 8)

I only have small trees to saw up . Less than 16" for big ones and mostly 12"

davemartin88, it depends on how much metal you cut. Try not to do it ;D

toxedo_2000

Quote from: sprucebunny on December 03, 2005, 11:32:32 PM
I bet you got some nice clear boards out of that one, Toxedo ;D Lookin' good 8)

I only have small trees to saw up . Less than 16" for big ones and mostly 12"

davemartin88, it depends on how much metal you cut. Try not to do it ;D

Yes, big large boards. But now, I must let it dry about a year... That's long.

Here is a pic of the amputed jack  ::)

And a new addition I'll have. Found the idea on this forum :P
Thanks

Tox
Toxedo

sprucebunny

Great idea with the lazer level 8)   I been thinking about something like that but had no idea what to mount it to.

That should speed things up and save some metal parts from the fate of your jack handle ;D

toxedo_2000

I made an "L" bracket, screwed it at the back and that's it. The level can be take off. It is a magnet holding it. The accuracy is not perfect, but it gives me an idea of where and what my band will cut through.
Tox
Toxedo

Thank You Sponsors!