iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

114 Octane

Started by bendjoseph, October 21, 2012, 02:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendjoseph

A friend of mine claims to be running 114 octane race fuel in his Husky 353.  I run 93 in my Stihl now.  I am couroius about the race fuel, but i am worried about burning up the engine.  Anyone got any comments?

sawguy21

The octane rating refers to the anti knock properties of the fuel. Ultra high compression racing engines certainly require it but his 353 won't become a hot rod on the stuff without serious modification. 91 pump gas is more than adequate for a stock saw.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

Race fuel will not burn up your engine. It's just an unneccesary expense, 91 octane non ethanol premium is adequate for a stock saw. When you start increasing compression, you need higher octane fuel to prevent pre-ignition (knock).
Too many irons in the fire

ladylake

A stock saw will make more power on 91 octane.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Okrafarmer

We use 87 octane, ethanol-free on our saws. Around here the only ethanol free gas we've been able to find has been 87. All the saws seem to do ok on it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

MReinemann

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 21, 2012, 05:14:16 PM
We use 87 octane, ethanol-free on our saws. Around here the only ethanol free gas we've been able to find has been 87. All the saws seem to do ok on it.

I use 87 in my 290 farm boss.  4 yrs and still going strong.  That's with ethanol too.  I through a little marine sta-bil in the mix.  Pretty much convinced that saw is bullet proof.  Took a dip in the stream one day when it fell off the back of the tractor.  Dried it out and still runs like a champ. 
-Matt

Okrafarmer

Yes, mine's pretty indestructable too. Had it 6-7 years and abused it quite intensely. Still my go-to saw. It has had some ethanol at times, too.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Al_Smith

Racing gas won't do you much good on a stock compression saw engine .Cost you a little more money is all .

Slab Slicer

Although the higher octane fuel will burn more evenly, and at a lower temp, it won't do much good, other than allowing your saw to run a bit cooler. Wasted money if you ask me. Now take that same saw, bump the compression a bunch, and you better run the good stuff, or you will be popping a hole in the piston.  :D
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

AdkStihl

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 21, 2012, 11:13:40 PM
Racing gas won't do you much good on a stock compression saw engine .Cost you a little more money is all .

Higher octane fuel in resistant to ignition and creates less HP. A saw with 150-170psi (typical) will not like to burn without some carb adjustments.
I keep 5 gallons of 100LL handy for "in-saw" storage purposes. My "nmurphized" 346XP will not run with 100LL on stock settings.

Dont waste your money on the stuff.

I typically burn 89 and my stuff runs good  ;)
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

There might be some merit to using Av gas or some of that Sun oil race gas but it doesn't apply to 99.9 percent of all saw users .Fact the only reason I even bother with 92-93 octane is because of a few saws I have which are enhanced tad bit .Like a dime more than regular maybe 20 cents it isn't going to send me to the poor house any way .

Ha thinking back in time about run on which is off topic .I had an Olds toranado ,1973 with a 455 V8 .That pot licker could diesel at about 20 miles per hour once you turned it off .You had to put that gas guzzling behemouth in drive and ride the brake to get it to stop .You about had to run hi-test in that old land yacht else it would sit there and chug and hiccup for ten minutes and stink to high heavens dieseling on regular gas .Good old days my foot . :D

Thank You Sponsors!