iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to Drill Really Big Holes?

Started by Mark M, June 09, 2004, 03:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

I intend to split logs in half lengthwise with my sawmill and then hollow them out like a canoe or just make holes to hold the pots. Thanks everyone for the ideas, you've given me some things to think about. I take pictures when I finally make one.

beav

you could saw the center out by milling slabs off large enough that the edges can be fastened back together, leaving the log with a square hole down the length of it. hth

Tom

.....Or....  instead of slabbing,  quarter the log, turn the barkside down (bandmilll) and the pointed side up (pith) and cut the pith out of it. :D :D   Ahem!!

When you put the four pieces back together you have fflat surfaces to mate together for glueing or doweling or nailing or whatever. :)

You made me think of that Beav :D

beav

same exact end product, but with my process you end up with a cant to deal with as opposed to four triangle peices

Tom

Yep, that might make some more money.  I guess I was just thinking of short logs. :)

beav

i always wanted to build a float boat that way. couldn't find two large logs close enough to the same size :(

Thank You Sponsors!