iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to Drill Really Big Holes?

Started by Mark M, June 09, 2004, 03:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

I want to make planters and need to make some really big holes in logs or timbers. One idea I have is for some holes big enough to hold a 6"-8" clay flower pot; the other is to hollow out a log and fill it with dirt, something like a window box. I've thought about trying to use a router, my chainsaw, adz, milling machine, etc. but don't think any of these will work very well.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Mark

etat

Mark, that is a really interesting question.  You got me wanting to know too!!!! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Tom

To hollow out a log from the end grain end would be tough.  I have planters like that holding antique roses but the logs were already naturally hollow.  I just filled two and 3 foot sections with peat moss and planted the rose.  I left the bottom open.  I went to move one of them from the side of the yard last fall and found that the planter was attached to the ground.  Thinking that the rose had grown roots all the way to the bottom and into the ground, I ran a spade under it.  It wasn't rose roots. A nearby sweetgum tree had found the peat moss and, I guess, the liquid fertilizer I had been using in it.  A hefty root that had grown as big as my thumb had entered the bottom and grown nearly to the top, laying down feeder roots along the way. :D   The pot now has a bottom. :P

Turning a log into a planter box by splitting it and hollowing it out from the side is a different story.  Hollow logs have been used in that manner for years.  Some for planters and most for watering troughs.  Chicken farmers around here were notorious for using them for water before technology caught up with chicken farming.

To hollow out one yourself would require an adze.  This is the same kind of job you would run into making dough bowls.  A friend of mine makes dough bowls and uses that set of planer blades that attaches to the end of a chainsaw.  It's commercial name is a Log Wizard.  I imagine that it would be one of the most productive means of hollowing out a planter.  If straight sides were OK,  I think you could probably use a "Skill" saw to cut the sides and cross cut the center ever 4 to 6 inches and then use an axe or hammer or hatchet to knock those pieces loose.   I'm kinda designing as I talk, but I bet it'd work. :)

Bruce_A

Twenty five years ago, I made and sold cedar log planters.  By taking a two, three, or four foot long piece of cedar log, I would split three sides off with a shake froe, saw about four to six inches off each end, and nail or dowel the side pieces back into their places.  Filled with soil they looked like a hollow log  planter.

Ianab

I'd give it a go with a chainsaw, 4 plunge cuts to make a square hole and knock the plug out. Didn't say it would be quick or easy, and you might end up with a few pieces of firewood while you are practising, but I think it would work OK

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

Really big Forstner bit  :)

Seriously, I used to know a fellow who made walnut bowls, and he would first drill a 3/4" pilot hole through a walnut log (about firewood length), then follow that with a 'forstner' type bit that had a 3/4" stub on the end that would follow the pilot hole. These bowls were also used for lamps, so the through-hole was not a problem, and the large hole didn't go all the way through. For the bowls, he had a plastic insert that fit inside the larger hole. A vase-type insert, if you will. For the lamps, he had an aluminum holder that would distribute the heat from the light bulb.

After the large hole was drilled, he would chuck the 'log' in a lathe and spin it against a rotary knife head that would, in one revolution, turn the shape of the bowl.

These green bowls were then soaked in PEG-1000, dried in a kiln, and then put back in the lathe for a final turning.

(That's more information than needed, but it covers the drilling of the larger hole in the end grain of wood. The pilot hole helps keep the large bit true).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

I believe I would clamp 'em on the mill and halve 'em. Then saw the middle out with the chainsaw, leaving enough in both halves to make the bottom, if needed. After several kerf cuts, I would carefully use the bar nose and cut the bottom section seperate from the kerfs and them chisel the waste between the kerfs.  Just be careful of kick-back with the bar nose. Glue the 2 halves back together with Gorilla glue.  ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bro. Noble

I used to use hollow logs to make feed troughs.  Black gums here are often hollow.  The heart completely dissappears leaving a very smooth shell.  I'd locate the trees in the fall by their red foliage and then thump them with a hammer to make sure they were hollow before cutting them.

You might also look for a hollow tree of any species and clean out the punky wood.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Minnesota_boy

Uh, Noble,
Mark lives in North Dakota.  They don't have many trees.  He might have to cut them all down to find the one that is hollow.  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bro. Noble

M_boy,

He could come visit me and I would send him home with all the hollow trees he wants.  Heck,  I'd even mail him the hollow part of a few. ;D

Tom

I could probably round up a bunch of "middles" too.  They probably wouldn't be as expensive as yours seein' as how its "Southern Wood'.  I've been told that it has to come from the Appalachians or North to be any good.  If he doesn't need "prime" middles, I might be able to do him some good. :)

You do the paperwork, Br'er Noble, I'll do the collecting and we'll divide the Gross down the middle. :)

Fla._Deadheader

Ooops, fergot, we have a few hollow "shorts" layin around, and 1 big'un layin in the water.  ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Mark M

Hey that's a good idea! - send me the hollow part and I'll transplant it into the logs. ;D

steveo_1

Hey Mark i have an idea i havent tried it and it might be a dumb one,but you said ANY ideas appreciated.
You gotta cuttin torch?
If so try using the oxygen to burn the wood out just as you would when cutting steel.
You will have to keep some water nearby incase you get carried away with the torch,and keep the ashes blown out with an air nozzle.
Dumb idea or what???
got wood?

etat

I'd like to comment about the cutting torch idea.  For it to actually burn into the wood you have to hit the oxygen lever.  When you do this you get really hot embers flying around as the torch eats into the wood,  They'll try to set you on fire. The mixture of acetylene,  propane or map gas and oxygen makes the embers really hot, and the smoke pouring out will try to smother you.  

Might work better, I don't know, if you drilled a hole and inserted some coal, or charcoal, and just fed it a bit of oxygen to keep it burning.  This would be an experiement I wouldn't mind trying.

Information coming from a guy who has set more than one piece of wood on fire with both cutting torch,,,,,,,and welder. :) .  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

etat

Bro Noble.  I once read that on the old wooden wagon wheels that wood commonly used for the spokes was white oak, and for the hubs black gum.  The oak part I can figure.  I am curious about what qualities black gum possessed that made it a preferred material for the hubs.

Bro. Noble

Black gum (ithink) has interlocking grain like sycamore,  so wouold be resistant to spliting.

Cedarman

For up to 4 inch holes, use a drill press and a bit that can be found in catalogs.  This is for end drilling of cut off logs for smaller pots.  For bigger holes we've got religious cedar.  It is very holy.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

junkyard

Mark
Go to the local welder handyman, the guy that should be on junkyard wars. Have him make an over size spoon bit with a pilot.
Drill a pilot hole then follow with the spoon bit.
Do a search on pump logs they were drilled with a spoon bit.
              Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Bro. Noble

Tom,

I was thinking that if we pulled a vaccum on those holes,  we could send them by e-mail.  The buyer could then just add air-----save a bundle on shipping and packaging. 8)

Hey,  I hate paperwork >:(

How come you collect the money :o

Who said I needed a partner anyway ::)

raycon

If the holes can be square holes a chain mortiser would work.
I cut mortises with a 2" bit (white pine) takes a minute to drill them since you're not concerned about accuracy you could got that route. Drill on a circle pattern and then knock out waste with a chisel/gouge.
Lot of stuff..

Furby

I don't know if anyone remembers, but Jeff did some log burning like what CK was talking about (not the torch part ;) ).

Mark, I've tried to find good, cheap, and easy ways to do this myself in the past. The burning will work, with a lot of work.  ;D
The spoon bit sounds like the best idea for end grain.
Now, I'm guessing you have "special" logs you plan to do this with? If not, are there ANY pallet or other mills around you? They sometimes have small "empty" logs out back that you may be able to get. Or, how about the dump?  ??? ???

Tom

Br'er Noble,

'Cause that's how partnerships work. :D

Split it right down the middle.   50:60 ....uh ...60:30   er.......80:20  ;D

I think I got that right :P  That's what Harold told me I was supposed to say, anyway. 8) :D :D

You get half, I get half and Harold get's half.  

I still haven't figured out why Harold gets half. :-/

Fla._Deadheader

Cause the holes I got have been underwater for 100 years, so, we KNOW they won't rot away ::) ;D ;D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

The clay pots would be cheaper than all that work. :D And last longer to. ;) Cut the pieces to length and hollow them out with the DanG lathe. Or take the chain saw and split the log and hollow  the halfs with an adze or wood chizel as suggested before. ;)

Some of my folks took cedar rails and augered them out for piping from the spring house to the house. Most folks locally had hand pumps in a shed or outside. Or a shed over the well house  or spring where they got water. There are alot of old spring wells here, come to think of it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mark M

I intend to split logs in half lengthwise with my sawmill and then hollow them out like a canoe or just make holes to hold the pots. Thanks everyone for the ideas, you've given me some things to think about. I take pictures when I finally make one.

beav

you could saw the center out by milling slabs off large enough that the edges can be fastened back together, leaving the log with a square hole down the length of it. hth

Tom

.....Or....  instead of slabbing,  quarter the log, turn the barkside down (bandmilll) and the pointed side up (pith) and cut the pith out of it. :D :D   Ahem!!

When you put the four pieces back together you have fflat surfaces to mate together for glueing or doweling or nailing or whatever. :)

You made me think of that Beav :D

beav

same exact end product, but with my process you end up with a cant to deal with as opposed to four triangle peices

Tom

Yep, that might make some more money.  I guess I was just thinking of short logs. :)

beav

i always wanted to build a float boat that way. couldn't find two large logs close enough to the same size :(

Thank You Sponsors!