iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying a trailer, need advice!

Started by PJinN.E.Texas, January 23, 2012, 06:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Remember the 26,000 limit to avoid the CDL rule.  With a ton truck you will be limited to a 14,000 gvw trailer.  I opted for a 3/4 ton just for this reason.  I have been stopped by the DOT 2 times in the last 2 years.  No tickets because I was legal.  A gooseneck 25' 14,000 lb trailer is bearly enough for my equipment.  5ea. 2000lb logs maxes me out.  I could have bought a 16,000 gvw trailer and still been legal but then I'd have 8 wheels and tires to keep up with rather that 4.
If you are a farmer you can get by with more gvw but not if you make long hauls.
Most tag-alongs will not be rated above 10,000 gvw and may be really hard to pull with those loads anyway.

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

YellowHammer

I have a custom built 14,000 lb dump trailer with 20,000 lb rams and undercarriage.  I added a used service crane that I rebuilt over several months (I got the idea from Redbeard) and use it to cleanly and quickly hoist up free logs from neighborhood yards where they don't want their grass messed up.  I also get a lot of free logs from farmers who don't want to spend the time removing fallen trees from their field edges but also don't want to have to dodge them with their corn crops.  So they just want the trees to disappear, and I can stay on the field roads and use the crane to drag the trees to the trailer and load them without needing help from the farmer. 
YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ironwood

YellowHammer,

Nice rig. I call the ability to "reel" them in "fishing". This is something hard to do without a winch somewhere on your rig to at least put a pulley on the end of the boom to get ones farther away.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!