iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting ready to set up my WM LT-15 need ideas on base????

Started by bikedude73, February 26, 2010, 09:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikedude73

I have thought of putting gravel down to set the mill on or maybe some other type of material.  Any ideas would be great.  It is going in a temp. spot so I do not want concrete. Any ideas would be helpful.... :P  Thanks

donny hochstetler

for my swinger, i put down 6in.trenches ,every 5ft or so,  filled with limestone ,then placed 6x8,s on the gravel , steel track on the 6x8,s,   hasn"t moved in 2 years,  i check every so often with a string  :) :)

Magicman

Some sort of crushed stone.  It tends to lock together and form a sturdy base.  It also allows water to filter through and remains drier on the surface.  Natural gravel with rounded rocks tend to move and not support weight as well.

Highway roadbeds (here anyway) always use crushed stone for that reason.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bikedude73

Thanks guys I am calling to get stone in the morning before I set it up. Thanks so much for all your help over the past few months.  This has been great fun and help so far and again Thanks so so much your all great help........ 8) :P :) 8)

Tom

I think I would shy away from stone, slag or anything that would get into the bark of logs and ruin a band.

A good foundation can be made by sawing timbers and placing them on concrete block, even if you have to buy treated timbers.  Keeping the mill off of the ground will allow you to clean out underneath it.  Believe me, that is important.  Raising if off of the ground some will make off-bearing a bit easier.  You can always build a ramp to hold logs or create a hill in front of the mill.

Qweaver

I sawed for a year with my LT15 setting on 6x6s directly on the ground and that was OK.  I now have it on a 4' x 24' concrete pad setting right at the front of my sawshed and covered by an 8' roof and that is night and day better for working, off bearing and stacking, keeping it level and cleaning.  Working in the shade and out of the rain is great.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Chuck White

Recycled railroad ties would make a good base to mount the mill on!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!