iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

225 TJ Transmission Problem

Started by Bert, December 08, 2011, 08:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

I've got a problem with 3rd gear in my skidder transmission. We've been using it nearly daily and the problem has not gotten worse, but not any better either. The transmission jumps out of 3rd gear quite a bit. It will stay in for several hundred yards and then jump out, sometimes just a few yards. For the past couple weeks Ive just been avoiding 3rd altogether, skidding in 2nd and bobtailing in 4th. Anyone know what the issue might be? It doesnt seem like major tranny failure... but who knows. One thing to note is if you put in reverse in 3rd gear there is no issue. It will not jump out of 3rd in reverse.  :-\
Saw you tomorrow!

jocco

sounds like a detent or slide problem pull the cover and have a look see.
You may check out but you will never leave

Bert

when you say pull the cover...do you mean the top where the shifter goes in? Not that I'm ignorant to wrenching, I just never investigated the tranny on this machine before.
Saw you tomorrow!

smwwoody

Sounds like wear on the ends of the shift forks. Pull the top cover off and look at the end of the shift forks. If the wear is uneven on the end of the fork from side toi side it may be the bushing under the gear the fork slides into. Or it could be the bushing in the fork where it goes aroind the rail. If all the bushings are good look at the bearings on the ends of the main shaft.  Next it may be only wear on the ends of the shift fork with no other problem if so just build them back up with JB weld and start pulling logs

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Bert

Turns out its the synchroniser for 3rd gear. The teeth are pretty rounded off. Finally took the cover off to see whats up. Tranny must come out for a new synch gear to be installed. Bummer!
Saw you tomorrow!

Tramp Bushler

You guys are great . Thanks for the questions and advice . I'm learning lots !
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

lonewolf

Its really not that bad of a job. I take mine out from the inside of the cab I can do it myself in a few hours. Will watch n c if u need any advice.
"EARTH FIRST"  WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER

Mark K

When the clutch went bad in mine in the woods about 3/4 of a mile in we pulled the tranny right there. Used a come along hooked to the rops. Had it out in forty five minutes. A little longer going back in. We ended up loosening the two back motor mounts and raised the motor about an inch. This allowed the tranny to clear a weldment in the bottom of the tub.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!