iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need to build a bandsaw mill

Started by oldhermit, October 26, 2018, 07:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoopty5.0

Well, i was able to source all of the iron needed to make the bed (?) ...well, the part that the trolley rides on and what the log sits on - all for free.
I'm sure I can get some steel to make the trolley for free if not close to it.

So, the plan is to buy the Linn kit, and offshore 6.5hp motor, and buy the rest of the odds and ends needed and end up under $2k.

I realize it's not the easy way, but Im excited to start another fab project. My last big undertaking was a turbo system from scratch, so this is a welcome challenge.

I've got to wait a few weeks for the steel to get to me, so I'll start a new thread once we get it in.

Thanks for the input so far!

Ljohnsaw

Not to be a Debbie Downer but a 6.5hp motor is really at the bottom of what could work.  I was there and had a 7hp that I threw on (cut a little better).  When I went up to 18hp it was a world of difference.  Spend a few more bucks on a motor and you will be so much happier in the long run.  Even a 10/11hp.  I think I spent $250 or $350 on it well used.  Knock on wood its still going strong.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Hoopty5.0

Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 08, 2019, 08:47:57 PM
Not to be a Debbie Downer but a 6.5hp motor is really at the bottom of what could work.  I was there and had a 7hp that I threw on (cut a little better).  When I went up to 18hp it was a world of difference.  Spend a few more bucks on a motor and you will be so much happier in the long run.  Even a 10/11hp.  I think I spent $250 or $350 on it well used.  Knock on wood its still going strong.

Ah, gotcha. Well, I appreciate the insight. I will keep an eye out for something bigger!

Mike W

Also to expand slightly on John's post on HP, remember the rating is max HP at max RPM, not too many reasonably priced gas or diesel motors can run at max rating and last very long at all.  so during normal use, the actual HP available will be less then what is listed kind of like how log splitters are rated, max load while under max RPM, at this type of use, things break pretty quickly.  If its going to be stationary mill, might look at electric driven, those are rated at actual performance during everyday use without premature failure and you can usually factor a two to one ratio, i.e. a 10HP electric is relatively equivalent to roughly a 20HP gas or diesel engine, there is a performance curve, but what you are looking for this ratio is a good baseline.  just another thought to ponder. 

Hoopty5.0

MiamiCityboy

Quote from: oldhermit on October 26, 2018, 07:45:49 PM
Hello millers,
I believe this is my first post.
I'm trying to plan out a bandsaw mill and am currently researching the wheels that the blade runs on.  For easy repair and economic considerstions, I want everything that can be 'off the shelf' to come from the shelf.  All of the cast iron pulleys approaching 19" that I've found at Surplus Center have  "fractional HP" in their description, doesn't this mean they're designed for loads of less than one horse power?  There's even a mill builder on youtube who gives a Surplus Center part number that leads to one of these fractional HP pulleys.  I've questioned him on this and gotten no reply.  Can someone please lead me to a good source of sheaves "pulleys" that will be safe and not break the bank?
hi I  built my bandsaw mill  myself in my house down  here in Miami FL my  wife said I was crazy  until  she saw it cutting, now  she  is  happy with  the sales... but going to  your point, I bought my wheels from  surplus center 18 '  I believe and they work perfect, I have  been thinking to  share all he  experience that  I  got making  my machine I just  have not much time , but  since you are starting yours I  think will  you  need  some hel  , so you don have the  mistakes that  I had. so let me  know if your  interested , it is  free.this is a black olive cut just this morning.

So it  all depends on big you want to  build  your machine, I will start for  picking an standard size so  when you are going to  buy  your blades you  dont  have to bu a custom made one , but blades that are  already made to other machines ( are  less expensive),  for example my   bandsaw mill  cuts  up to  36  in  but  I  have to buy 160  in blades  custom made  and there  are  blades 158 in standard, so consider that  to start. if  I will star  now always  depending   on  your needs I  will go for at  least  48  in wide cuts , if  you  want to go commercial. well  we go  from  here  let me  know if  you  want  to have more info,  good  luck.

MiamiCityboy

hi I  built my bandsaw mill  myself in my house down  here in Miami FL my  wife said I was crazy  until  she saw it cutting, now  she  is  happy with  the sales... but going to  your point, I bought my wheels from  surplus center 18 '  I believe and they work perfect, I have  been thinking to  share all he  experience that  I  got making  my machine I just  have not much time , but  since you are starting yours I  think will  you  need  some hel  , so you don have the  mistakes that  I had. so let me  know if your  interested , it is  free.this is a black olive cut just this morning.

So it  all depends on big you want to  build  your machine, I will start for  picking an standard size so  when you are going to  buy  your blades you  dont  have to bu a custom made one , but blades that are  already made to other machines ( are  less expensive),  for example my   bandsaw mill  cuts  up to  36  in  but  I  have to buy 160  in blades  custom made  and there  are  blades 158 in standard, so consider that  to start. if  I will star  now always  depending   on  your needs I  will go for at  least  48  in wide cuts , if  you  want to go commercial. well  we go  from  here  let me  know if  you  want  to have more info,  good  luck

Thank You Sponsors!