iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Oak Hung Up

Started by Knute, March 24, 2019, 09:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

it is always fun watching ppl try to pull stumps with trucks. seems the bigger the truck the dumber they are.

Hopefully I did not anger anybody with that statement. Just what I have observed.

doc henderson

I agree.  I added the strap to get me another 30 feet away.  I tug, or pull tension.  A chain will and has killed people.  when we used to pull stumps, we ran the chain over an old wheel to give "up" pull on the stump.  just a rocking motion.  good for stumps of dead trees up to about 1 foot diam.. A 12 inch ERC tree broke a 1/2 inch chain for me once, so you have to test the waters.  I found the edge of a stump underground digging to place a wall,  It jarred my kidney hitting it with a skid steer.  It turned out to be about 4 feet square.  cut out 1 cubic foot at a time.  This is when my stihl dealer recommended I borrow a neighbors saw for jobs like that.   :D  even without the strap, a chain alone may wind up in the cab if you hit hard enough.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Is there anyone around with a skidder that you can pass a $100 bill to and have him pull it down?  Not to be blunt but shooting in the air with rifled slugs, jacking a widow maker, placing slabs under it, yanking on it with a long chain are all really good ways to end up in the local paper either in one section or another and neither is a good place to be.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Hilltop366

With no winch I would try pulling with the tractor first, with a long enough chain to keep yourself safe. To me a chain is the safest option because it does not spring back at you if it fails.

Doc's putting the chain over a wheel may help get the tree moving or a notched section of log on end starting with the log leaning back towards the tree.

You probably already know to keep the pulling point on the tractor low enough to avoid flipping the tractor but I would feel bad if something happened and I had not said anything.

charles mann

used a 22LR many times to get a tree out of a tree, and unintentionally shot a limb supporting my lock-on stand 1 day with a 308. granted, as SSL said, not the best way, but if there are no dwellings around for a mile and your scope it truly zeroed, it shouldn't take many rounds to cut the limb. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

LeeB

I have a hung up pine I need to get down. I cut it free of the root ball to no avail. Thought about cutting the oak it is hung in but could see no way to do it safely. Having no desire to make an early exit from this world I ditched that idea. It's only hanging in the crotch formed by a nub and the main trunk of the oak. The nub is from a long ago broken branch the has since heal over is is maybe 8" long. Shouldn't take much to roll it off but due to location there is no good access with equipment. I considered wrapping a chain and pulling that to get it to roll. I think I like the idea of adding a lever instead for a torque arm to make the required pull less. It was blown down in a tornado that luckily jumped over the house. We've had two more high wind episodes since then and I had hoped it would come on down but no such luck. Lost several more tree but that one likes it's new home.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Peter Drouin

Cut the W oak. If you're afraid of a barber chair rap a chain around the base of the W Oak. Above the notch.
That's what I'd do. Good luck
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

LeeB

Peter,
I'm not afraid of the oak. It's the pine that has me worried. being able to get out from under it and its branches when it starts coming down. Good point about the barber chair though.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

doc henderson

this one may be the case for a come along and a long rope, strap, cable, chain.  be safe
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!