iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mainline end?

Started by treefarmer87, December 24, 2012, 10:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenorthman

do you use anykind of Flux with it or just melt preheat and poor?  Perssonaly I'm a big fan of borax, works for solder, welding, brazing, dishes, laundry, curing salmon eggs (for fishing) I imagine it would do well for babbitt...

A little splash of diesel does wonders to extend the life of cable, if your concerned about wastage get a little spray can and spritz it on there
well that didn't work

Maine372

can someone define babbit for me? im not familiar with that term.

CCC4

Babbitt is a molten metal mixture poured around shafts to form bearing  races. I thought it was lead, and may have used to be. Modern babbitt is tin, copper, antimony

Maine372

so how does this apply to cable ends?

keen

I don't use any flux with  the babbit, just heat and poor. I have never had a issue with it not adhering to the cable. For those not familiar with babbit I will get some pics next week and post them. Its handy stuff when working with cable.

HiTech

If anyone has been in a paper mill and seen the finishing stacks on the dry end of a paper machine, the bottom roll or King Roll sits in a babbitt bearing. The housing is water cooled and oil lubricated. A box sits on top of the King Roll journal and is filled with oil. Felt strips then transfer the oil to the journal. Also many chipper knives use babbitt. As the knives are ground they get smaller. Babbitt is added to the back of the knife to keep it the same size as new so it sits in the knife holder perfectly. There are many many uses for babbitt.

Thank You Sponsors!