iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

230 Timberjack shift pattern

Started by Dieseldog5.9, November 23, 2019, 09:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieseldog5.9

looking for shift pattern for 230, transmission shifter is super loose and can't find reverse, has a second shifter must be hi/low. Also looking for directions on how to operate the winch, any help appreciated.

barbender

All of the old manual tranny cable skidders I have been around had a standard H pattern 4 or 5 speed. 1st is up and to the left.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

On the TJ I ran, the engine had to be running to release the winch, it ran off the machine hydraulics (that was an Eaton winch), my Gearmatic equipped Pettibone uses a brake master cylinder to release the winch brake so you can have the engine shut off. Also, the Eaton winch had a PTO disengage lever on the winch. It has to be engaged for the  winch to work.

wiam

Pretty sure the 230 I ran years ago did not have reverse in the main transmission. There was a reverser in front of it. Was kind of annoying that the winch went backward in reverse. 

Dieseldog5.9

I have one main transmission, so is reverse to the right and down? The shifter pins in cover must be broke as you can swing shifter around in a circle, so finding reverse once I know where it is may still take some work, hoping to load on trailer this week need reverse to get off trailer.

There is a second short shifter next to battery box must be a transfer case?

There is a lever next to steer lever for winch, it moves cylinder on winch but doesn't spin drum

barbender

To put power to the winch, the transmission has to be in gear, and the transfer case in neutral (unless you want to winch and drive at the same time)

if it has a reverser box in front of the four speed, you should see a rod and plunger going into the  top right corner of the reverser.   Mine has this 2 position shifter  (reverser) as well as the 4 speed shifter and the 3 position transfer case shifter(comes up from a linkage going to transfer case)

only difference ive seen on a couple skidders is that there was no reverser and the 4 speed had a reverse in it.

barbender

The reverser is definitely a nice feature.

Dieseldog5.9

I bought an operators manual and service manual on ebay yesterday, should have some information.  I do not have a reverser in front of the transmission, so reverse must be in main transmission box, my shifter is so sloppy its hard to find any gear, i just picked up this machine saving it from the scrap yard so i have no clue where it should be, and best i can determine it is a 1970ish 225 or 230, but cannot find the s/n to prove that.

The transfer case is 3 position, high low and neutral? can the winch be driven in all of these positions?

Is the hydraulic winch lever for the winch brake or is it more complicated than that.

ehp

what year of 230 is it, my reverse is in my transfer case on my 230 which sits in the back half of the machine , You can just buy a new part the gearshift lever sits in that bolts to the top of the tranny. I did my machine when I first got it . First was hard to find with the way it was

Dieseldog5.9

I called Nash Equipment, and due to the tire size and axles the guy there thinks it is a 230 newer than 68.  Went out to the machine thinking reverse may be in the main box, maybe someone changed the box from something out of a truck, but i could not find reverse.  

Here are some pictures, i have no clue what the little toggle switch near the transfer case is for, and i have no clue what the lever next to console is.  If reverse is in the transfer case is it all the way forward or all the way back?

Mapleman

From the pics, your set up looks a lot like my 1966 225.  The lever near the console and near where your right knee would be while driving and that points backward and is threaded for a knob of some sort sets the throttle up so you don't need to have your foot on the pedal to get revs up above an idle.  Mine hasn't worked for most of the time I've had the machine.  

The short lever to the right and a little back from the throttle lock is called the micro lock, it locks the brakes kind of like a parking brake.  You step on the brakes, hold the pressure, and move the lever forward (or maybe back, I can't remember) and release the brake pedal and the brakes will stay locked on.  If everything is working like it should.  I think this system didn't always work like it should because at one time TJ was passing out parking brake kits to do away with the micro locks.  I got one from them either for free or cheap and installed it, that's why I'm a little vague on which direction locks the micro lock.

I'm not going to be much help on finding reverse, my machine has a reverser just after the bell housing and before the 4 speed transmission.  But in most of the things I've driven, reverse is usually in one of the corners - upper left, lower left, upper right, lower right.  Taking the cover off would probably help sort that out.

Dave
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

Thank You Sponsors!