iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

230D TJ skidder question

Started by rvolek, May 14, 2012, 05:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvolek

Hoping I can get some help. I purchased a 74 230D TJ a few months ago. It was operable when I purchased it but like all used equipment, I wanted to go over it and fix those "little things". Finally had the chance to take it out and run it and see how it would do. My question is, how is the winch supposed to operate on this model? I know my transfer case has to be in neutral, and I need to put the main transmission into a certain gear, I was told 2nd gear is the prime gear to winch in, but does my foward and reverse have to be in neutral? I didn't get a chance to check that night and I won't be back with the skidder till the week end. Also would like to add, that when I put the reverser box in foward and tried, it would winch in, when I put it in reverse, it would winch out. I guess what I'm really asking, is when I'm driving along in foward and want to drop my load to make a turn or what ever i come across, how do I drop the load while moving foward?
74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

dnash

Sounds like you got it figured out. To release the cable, just simply pull the lever down. Doesn't matter what gear/direction or speed you're going....keep an eye out for nesting. :)
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

OntarioAl

rvolek
Just as dnash says "pull the winch lever down"
1/ there is no neurtal in the forward /reverse box
2/when stopped engine running main transmission in neutral transfer case in gear blade down brake on (keeps tranfer case  top end from turning saves bearings)
3/to winch in make sure the  transmission is in forward 2nd gear tranfer case in neutral ,blade down brake set
4/ with practise when traveling with a load you can drop the load and winch on the fly
5/ when roading the machine and or you have no need for the winch disengage the PTO on top of the transfer case (I have a bungy cord to keep mine locked out when not in use)
6/ If you do not already have one installed put a magnetic drain plug in the bottom of the transfer case.
Hope this helps
Al
Al Raman

Maine372

because the reverser has to be in 'forward' to winch inyou cant winch yourself out backwards and drive the wheels backwards as well. though i spoke with on gentleman who ran the cable up over the machine and winched himself out forwards.

treefarmer87

I got my c5 stuck to the belly pan once and ran the cable under the  front of machine. it worked fine and got me out
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Mark K

Had my 225 get stuck pretty bad a couple years back. U can winch in in reverse by pulling the cable all the way out and pulling it back in in reverse. Kind of a pain but it works.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

rvolek

Thank you guy's for the quick response. The whole story is, my brother was operating the skidder. I was giving him a crash course. My exact words were " drop the blade down, place the transfer case in neutral, push the clutch in and place in second gear, let let your foot off of clutch and pull down on the lever that say's winch control." I was in back pulling on the cable. It wouldn't budge. I yelled are you pulling on the correct lever and he said YES!! But it kept winching in. So I said put the thing in reverse, he did, and pulled down on the lever. The winch started to unravel but not freespool. This is where the misunderstanding and lack of communication come into play. When I questioned him tonight after I posted my question on here I was going through the play by play. I asked again about when he pulled the lever down why did it winch in. he said it didn't, it didn't do anything. I said then why was it winching in? He said cause I was pushing the lever to winch in!! So you mean that when I was pulling on the cable with the winch lever down it was stuck and not freespooling? Yep! Nice to know now. Gotta love family! So I'm going to assume that there is some gaulding or a problem with the freespool part of the winch? Also, the winch did sit for awhile uncovered before I bought it. Any help on getting it to freespool easier?
74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

bushmechanic

Sounds to me like the clutch discs may be stuck to the steel discs.I would hook on to something immovable and release the winch and then drive away to free up the clutch discs.Also make sure the brake band is releasing when the lever is locked down in the freespool position.There are supposed to be small springs between the discs to aid in thier release but I have seen rebuilds where they never got put back.A Hercules winch dosen't need to be covered up like a Gearmatic.Good luck.   

rvolek

Thanks bushmechanic, will hook to a tree this weekend and give it a shot. let you know the progress. Here are a few pics of the beast:

74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Maine372

what size tires are on that beast?

Tramp Bushler

They don't look like 18.4x34 .  :P
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

dnash

JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

Tramp Bushler

Should have lots of power .
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

rvolek

The tires are 18.4x26. I just bought it at the begining of March. Found it on CL for $4700. All I had to do was put a new master cylinder and entire brake system, throw out bearing, changed all the fluids and a few grease fittings and 2 u-joints. Other than a few misc things like nuts and bolts, painted a few parts, filters and such, I ended up with a $1000 into the machine. The crazy part is, the guy that sold it to me was only 4 miles from where I am cutting trees.  I guess I lucked out cause it doesn't miss a beat. Quite loud when steppin on the pedal but just music to the ears if you like a Detroit.
74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

Bobus2003

So with the old TJ's you cant winch-in on the move?

barbender

The only TJ I ran, you could winch on the move. My Pettibone with the Gearmatic winch only winches forward. I never could find a use for the backwards winching feature on the TJ, I guess maybe it would be handy for lowering yourself off of a cliff or something like that ::)
Too many irons in the fire

GRANITEstateMP

You can winch in on the move with the TJ.  If you get to a rugged spot, just drop the twitch, drive on through and once you think you can, engage the winch.  The higher the gear the faster the winch will pull!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Thank You Sponsors!