iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

240a deutz smoking at idle

Started by millcreek40, February 11, 2016, 05:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ox

If it's possible to turn the injector pump while it's running, I think you'll find by advancing the timing it will solve quite a few problems.  We can't set these pumps to the older manual specs anymore.  The diesel fuel has changed.  My old '64 Oliver was to be set at 6° BTC, which it was when I rebuilt the engine.  It barely ran.  Popping, snorting, white smoke.  Ended up advancing the timing to 12° or 13° BTC by the guidance of a major pump rebuilder.  Now she runs and starts good.  Keep the nuts on your pump snug enough to turn with a prybar or something but not to spin free, if you know what I mean.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

millcreek40

Going to give it a try tomorrow   Can't hurt to try
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

ohiowoodchuck

You will need to retard the timing to clear up your idle haze issue. If it was popping and cracking, then yes advance it.
Education is the best defense against the media.

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: Ox on April 21, 2016, 09:16:40 AM
If it's possible to turn the injector pump while it's running, I think you'll find by advancing the timing it will solve quite a few problems.  We can't set these pumps to the older manual specs anymore.  The diesel fuel has changed.  My old '64 Oliver was to be set at 6° BTC, which it was when I rebuilt the engine.  It barely ran.  Popping, snorting, white smoke.  Ended up advancing the timing to 12° or 13° BTC by the guidance of a major pump rebuilder.  Now she runs and starts good.  Keep the nuts on your pump snug enough to turn with a prybar or something but not to spin free, if you know what I mean.
That's when the fuel is getting there to late on the compression stroke, hence not enough fuel for a good burn. When they wet stack like that, there's so much fuel that it can't compress all of it so therefore the unburnt fuel blows out the exhaust.

ohiowoodchuck

I always like to find problem cylinders with a heat gun. A dead cylinder will always show a way colder temp than the rest. Another cause could be a hung open injector.

jdatwood

Did you ever resolve this issue? I have a 5 cylinder Deutz in my Tree Farmer that smokes too much. I'm going to replace the injectors and see what that does then go from there. I've already replaced the air filter. The temps of the jugs are pretty similar checking with a thermography camera. I replaced the worst one which was about 20 degrees cooler and fuel drooled right out of it on the test set. I've got doubts about the injectors doing much since the other cylinders were all pretty similar in temp but I'll at least have spares 🤘For what a shop quoted me to test mine I can buy new ones so may as well. Just curios what your problem ended up being? 

logging pete

I have had 3 of them, they all smoked more at an idle than liquid cooled engines I have had. They where all good motors, I wouldn't mess with it.

jdatwood

That's good to hear. It makes sense with that fan running all the time, especially in colder climates. I've heard it was more difficult to get them up to temp which I've found to be true. I've run it in 90 degree weather and it ran just right. I do keep the heads and oil cooler washed out thoroughly though. 

Thank You Sponsors!