iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting up my case 310 for skidding

Started by dtwigden, October 13, 2018, 07:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtwigden

Hello everyone. This is my first post. 
My names is Dan and I'm based in North California. I've taken time off to build my own full scribe log home as well as log dug fir to build it from. 
I'm not a professional although I am doing this full time. I spent some time getting training on building log homes at the Great Lakes school of log building in MN and I'm looking forward to putting my skills to use this winter. 
I'm working with logs about 20" to 16" at the big end. That's about all I can handle. 
I just picked up a running 1958 case 310 that was only used for plowing and so my goal is to fit it out with a winch. Weather that's a Gearmatic 9 or a Carco 9 or some kind of PTO drive or hydraulic winch is yet to be determined but I absolutely need a solution right away. So I'm calling on you to help me put together a shopping list to get a skidding winch set up for under 2k. Ive been looking for the stockwinch that came with the 310 but they seem to be really hard to find. That being the case can you recommend a hydraulic winch out there new or used models are fine and the best system to drive it?

nativewolf

Welcome to the forum, always good to get more folk from CA.  I'm not going to be of any use on the winch but I'm sure that a few folks will chime in over the next day or two.  If it sinks down the list just respond to bring it up.  You might want to add you are looking for insight on winch choice in subject.
Liking Walnut

Autocar

Welcome to the forum , you may try to google old case parts you would be surprized whats out there. Theres alot of place that deal with older stuff good luck on your hunt  ;) 
Bill

J 5

Very  nice machine , I have a 320, the same year as yours   ( but in pieces ) restoration under way .  I have the mechanical winch on mine , but for something quick to install  I would go with a hyd one. Make sure the sprocket nuts are tight on the final drives, keep the pics coming.
                                          J 5

barbender

One of those old dozer arches would be slick, too.
Too many irons in the fire

dtwigden

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. 

Yes, I think a hydraulic winch and a PTO pump would be the second best option ( first being the OEM winch Case 310's came with ). 

I like the idea of an arch as well. not sure how to would all fit in but I'll figure it out. 

So today was a good day. I did a deal on my wood. Dug Fir, all the trees I want for free in return for clearing some additional trees ( bent ones ) for the landowner. This works for me as I'm planning on buying a woodland mills mill and trailer with the money I save on not spending money on trees. I'll use the bent ones to cut decking, flooring, posts, and beams. 

A little bit about my house build. I'm building a 1200sft full scribe house. I'm going to mill and log all the wood needed to build it myself. 

dtwigden

D2 Cody

Maybe try the antique caterpillar machinery owners club, mostly all cat stuff but great club and if it has tracks usually one of us can help. Take care and good luck.
Are you just going to lay there and bleed or get up and do something about it..Wyatt Earp Tombstone

Echo-Stihl-Caterpillar-Dodge-Craftsman-Lincoln

mike_belben

Does it have a standard agricultural pto shaft coming out the back of it now? 3pt Lift arms?

Got lucky, tractordata has your configuration. 
 http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/007/5/2/7521-ji-case-310c.html

It weighs 6k and has a 540 pto.  I think your best bet is to track down or fabricate a 3pt hitch and get a PTO tractor logging winch. (And atleast a stout rollbar with some screen for cable break protection, and a place to mount gear and lights, sun/rain lid etc) The high fairlead of a tractor logging winch will do wonders getting buts up off the ground.  A dozer winch is just too low and you cant flat drag nearly as much log, especially with such a lightweight machine.   Low weight and wheelies will be your biggest struggle.  But itll be nimble in tight places so thats a bonus.  If you convert to 3pt ag hitch and pto youll have a real handy tool.  For box plade, post hole digger, tiller, bush hog etc.  

I would then find a way to get some front ballast on there.  Me personally i would probably find an old city/highway plow truck blade at a scrap yard with power angle and cut it down.  This will be a very stout hunk of iron worthy of dozing once you defeat the trip edge.  If youd plow snow with it stay wider than the tracks but if youre only logging then go narrow to sneak through better.  The nice thing about snow plows is they pin right in.  Dozer blades are a pain to remove and see around if you dont need it on there for say mowing or whatever where you may really want to leave a light footprint and get right up to fencing or some such thing.
Praise The Lord

Tramp Bushler

Welcome to FF.
That is a beautiful little dozer. Track pads look good ! Does it have a blade with it ?
Does it have a good stout draw bar ?
A towed, rolling arch is a very viable option. They can be made from the front axle of a commercial truck. Like a concrete truck. Weld the steering so it's locked straight. Cut the cross member and fabricate the arch. An easy fairlead system is to just hang a Tommy Moore block from the top of the arch and run your winch line through it. The throat is big enough so your sliders and chockers can fit through the throat without getting two blocked.
 A good general mechanical reference for the 310 Case is Cecil Skinner.
Cecil and Heather's Off Grid Homestead on you tube.
I'll see if I can get a link. Cecil has had his 310 apart and back together from 1 end to the other. And he's worked it a LOT.
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Tramp Bushler

310 Case Dozer, Removing The Transmission - YouTube

He has several yt vids on his 310 Case.
 Cecil is good about answering questions in the comment section. 
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

dtwigden

Quote from: Tramp Bushler on October 14, 2018, 02:26:25 PM
310 Case Dozer, Removing The Transmission - YouTube

He has several yt vids on his 310 Case.
Cecil is good about answering questions in the comment section.
Thanks for the heads up on this. I spent a few hours watching his channel. 

dtwigden

I was having a look over the crawler today to see where to start setting up some hydraulics but I don't think this has a hydraulic pump.?. It must have be a base model for just plowing. So I've provided some pictures in the hope someone can point me in the right direction to find at least where a pimp should be fitted if there is not one on there already.

mike_belben

Well thats even simpler of a machine that i thought.  

Id give these guys a call and chat about what it takes to put on a factory winch and how available the stuff is, they seem to favor case crawlers.

Machines for Salvage

That said, winch woes are a real common problem around here and i bet that those arent easy to find parts for.  It doesnt look like you have any hydraulics either so graffting some generic worm gear hydraulic winch on isnt that simple either.  

What about a 12-15k chinese electric winch and a pair of group 31 truck batteries?  $200 in batts and $300-600 for winch.  A bigger alternator isnt too hard to rig on, $90 or so.  The winch and batteries could go on a log arch if needed, and just couple to the batteries with an anderson connector.
Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

That looks a lot like my oliver oc3 tracks and under carriage.

J 5

Looks like the hyd tank is there, don't see any lines running to the front, but there should be  a steel suction line.If you pull the front upper weight and  cross member, you'll see where the pump is mounted , running off the crank, if it's still there.
                                             J5

J 5

Once you start tearing down these old beasts, makes you appreciate the case/ terratrac design. Also its easier to move them around the garage.
                J 5

bigred1951

Well not sure where you could put a pimp on there. Maybe let him drive haha. Would a pump that mounts on the front of the engine work

mike_belben

Worst case scenario use a vee belt pump off a plow truck with central hydraulics and auto trans.   New theyre about $500 with a clutched sheave.
Praise The Lord

Gary Davis

some of the older machines had a gearmatic winch then you will need the adapter for it.they work off a pto to a gear box then a chain to the winch, it is always easer to install what was built for the chase I found a gearmatic 8a on a cl add for my garrett ,it had been in storage for 30 year looks good and I will put it on some time this winter , but then a hydrolic pump might be easer , 

snowstorm

there is a winch for a 310 case om craigs list maine

dtwigden

So above is my log arch. I fabricated it after looking at others online. Should deadlift 4000lbs. 

dtwigden

So I ended up running a 9000lb electric HF winch and it's junk. At 36 feet and around 20 inches diameter is can't drag a think close to 9000lb. 
So I found a carco for my 310 and am having it shipped to CA. Meanwhile logging in the Santa Cruz hills is going ahead slow but ahead. My arch has worked Perfectly but I'm dragging the logs up some steep  hillsides before I can hook it up. So I may need to find an additional solution to get the logs off the ground. 

Thank You Sponsors!