iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circle Mill ID

Started by CabinCreations, July 30, 2018, 01:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CabinCreations

Hey everyone,

I last posted regarding the ID of the engine running my circle mill and everyone was a huge help to identify it and give me a few pointers to get it running. The engine work is underway (though slow going lately), but now I have started looking at the mill itself...

This mill was on the property that my wife and I purchased in November of 2017 and has not been in operation for 20+ years but the roof has done its job and preserved everything very well. Now the question is, what is it? My first thought was that it is a Frick, but I am not so sure of that. I'd be very interested in figuring out its ID and the year (or years) it may have been made.

Here are some pictures, I'm looking forward to the expert advice on the Forum.

2011 LT35HD

Ron Wenrich

I believe Ireland had that style of dog.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

moodnacreek

Old Ireland's I have seen had wood friction feed and casters for carriage rollers. There are a lot of no. 1 Americans out there.

CabinCreations

I think the American mills look to be on the right track - the headblocks look very similar at least. Is there a way to identify a #1 vs. #2 or #3?

The Ireland Mills look close as well, but on the ones that I have seen online (just from a quick search) seem to usually have 4 headblocks. The American Mills seem to usually have 3 which matches the one I have.

Also, I looked quickly, but is there any good literature on either of these mills? A little more research may lead to a better guess.

Thanks!
2011 LT35HD

moodnacreek

Quote from: CabinCreations on August 01, 2018, 11:48:50 AM
I think the American mills look to be on the right track - the headblocks look very similar at least. Is there a way to identify a #1 vs. #2 or #3?

The Ireland Mills look close as well, but on the ones that I have seen online (just from a quick search) seem to usually have 4 headblocks. The American Mills seem to usually have 3 which matches the one I have.

Also, I looked quickly, but is there any good literature on either of these mills? A little more research may lead to a better guess.

Thanks!
Don't go by the number of head blocks or even the dogs. The feed could also have changed the feed. I will study my sawmill literature.

moodnacreek

Judging by the set works foot it would be an American. The no. 1 should have a 38" opening [upright to saw] and no. 2  42" + and so on. There where at least 7 difference sizes built at different times. Toward the end they only made no. 1 and no. 3 .

Cutting Edge

The Headblocks/Knees, Rack/Pinion, and Setworks all look near identical to a late 1890's-early 1900's DeLoach.  The Dogs look to have been replaced with ones far better than the original ones from DeLoach.

Those parts are a spittin' image to one I've worked on and operate locally for a small "homecoming" organization that has a yearly gathering open to the public  The one here is a bunch of different parts/components, some even built to suit. 

Looks like your machine has been well preserved.  Hope you can get it sawing again.  Gotta love that Ole' Iron !!  ;D

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

CabinCreations

@moodnacreek, the set works foot is unique and does seem to match the American Mills - good eye!

Page 66 of this PDF looks to be what I have for the set works "American 'Ideal' Set Works with Quick Receder" - http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/36/689.pdf

I will have to measure the opening tonight to try to determine what size it may be.

I am still not sure the feed system matches up well with the American Mills though - but I have not seen them all yet. Anyone have any thoughts on that part of the mill? It wouldn't surprise me if its a bit of a mix and match of mill parts.
2011 LT35HD

Cutting Edge

Cabin Creations,

Take a look at this DeLoach .pdf publication, specifically pages 31 & 33

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/246/1971.pdf

The mechanism to disengage the forward pawls looks to have been modified in the field, probably for a repair?  But the similarities between your carriage castings and DeLoach sure make 'em look like kin.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

moodnacreek

Old time sawmill builders would sell parts to users and competitors especially in a different territory and/or in hard times.  Also many sawmills where rebuilt with another make of parts. The old no.1 and no. 2 Lane cast iron husks where about fore ever while the carriage and track may have been up dated twice.  The end would be a band head rig.

bandmiller2

Its kinda nice to know what you have but most old mills are a hodge podge of different parts. Each sawyer had his favorites or just what he could scrounge up. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

CabinCreations

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I am perfectly fine not knowing every bit of the mill, but I was interested in how it may have originated.

I did measure the opening last night and found it to be 42", so likely a No. 2 based on moodnacreek's input. After looking closer yesterday, the rest of the mill is very similar to that of the American Mills. I am satisfied with that - I know more now about the mill (I think!) than I did a few days ago.

Thanks!
- Kody
2011 LT35HD

Thank You Sponsors!