iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT40 super kobata Won't start

Started by Jmartish, October 27, 2018, 05:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmartish

I changed the solenoid that is in the box next to the battery . The voltage is 12 going to the solenoid and 230 v dc going out

mike_belben

230vdc coming out of a solenoid .. 

Does it say miller or hobart on the side?   :D
Praise The Lord

Southside

You are right Mike. Now what do I have to do to be able to weld with my mill? Sure would come in handy when you wallop a back stop!  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jmartish

So you guys are saying the solenoid is bad . I haven't had a lot of time working on my Lt40 it's been trouble free . This was a brand new solenoid

barbender

It shouldn't change the voltage, in fact I don't understand how it could. Are you sure you're testing it correctly? I wouldn't really be concerned about the voltage coming out, just the voltage to it, and then is the solenoid activating (moving)? If the solenoid is working, start trying to find what is stopping your fuel flow. Do you have fuel to the filter?
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Ok - Welcome to the Forum, we are just joking a bit at your expense, you will find the folks around here are very helpful, but also we like to have our fun.  

The issue everyone is balking at is having 230VDC coming out of a solenoid, that does not make sense. What is the engine doing or not doing?  Is it failing to turn over or failing to fire?  Which engine do you have? Remote or walk along?  

A little more info and there is a good chance someone can help you get going again.
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

If you are putting in 12vdc and getting out 230vdc you have one heck of a step up convertor the likes of which i cant even wrap my head around. Im guessing youve got your meter wrong or a decimal off or whathave you.  We are all eager to get you up'n running again but probably need more/better info.  If you really have 230 vdc BE CAREFUL.. I reckon thatll put a hurtin on you.
Praise The Lord

terrifictimbersllc

If it is the solenoid in the small box next to the battery, in other words the fuse box, this solenoid only controls current to the hydraulic pumps.  Nothing to do with starting the engine.  It is there to prevent the hydraulics from being "live" when the key switch is off.

Does your engine turn over when you turn the key all the way to the right?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

To begin with, the solenoid in the box next to the battery box has nothing to do with the engine starting.  Your engine start lead goes directly to the battery.  The solenoid passes the 12vdc to sawmill when the key is turned right or left.

Now about the 230 vdc; as Mike pointed out, it is not 230vdc but more like 2.30 vdc for some reason. ??  I would suggest going back to basics and insuring that everything is wired correctly.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jmartish

Thanks fellas that explains why the hydraulic's are not working. The kobat diesel will not turn over.the voltage on the right side post is now reading 120 vdc.I am using a digital meter. Using the negative battery post for the negative lead i alternate the positive lead from the left solenoid post to the right post 12 on the left 120 on the right. I am with you that does not seem possible

Southside

Try going to a clean spot on the frame for your ground and see if you get the same readings.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Jmartish on October 28, 2018, 10:17:21 AMUsing the negative battery post for the negative lead i alternate the positive lead from the left solenoid post to the right post 12 on the left 120 on the right. I am with you that does not seem possible

Quote from: Jmartish on October 28, 2018, 10:17:21 AMUsing the negative battery post for the negative lead i alternate the positive lead from the left solenoid post to the right post 12 on the left 120 on the right. I am with you that does not seem possible
It is possible if your 120V is really 12 V and your 12 V is 1.2 V.  You cant have any voltage higher than the battery voltage-like 120V- if the engine isn't running, or even 120V if it is.

Am wondering what the condition of your battery is-how old?- and what is the voltage across the battery.

I would check the key switch at "batt" and see if this terminal is same as battery voltage.

Then I would check the voltage at the center terminal of the key switch and see if it goes to battery voltage when you turn key to the right (start position).

If these are ok, suggest you call in to WM tomorrow get through to electrical support, they'll walk you through the diagnosis.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jack S

sure sounds like a bad ground to me  try using a jumper cable from the neg battery terminal direct to the starter and see what happens. this way you are eliminating all ground connections. Also hook a volt meter ground to the starter and positive to the starter terminal and see what happens to the battery voltage when you try to start  it. I found a problem on a Detroit once where enough rust developed between the starter and engine that it wouldn't start. The owner had fought with the problem for a long time. Poor grounds are a big problem with equipment that lives in the outdoors.   Jack

Percy

Im just guessing here...so for what its worth....I believe I have the same engine as you on my 2003 LT70. I have more than 11,000 hours on it and have have changed about 5 starters over the years. While holding the key in the start position, tap the starter with a hammer.Not hard but firmly. It may start. When ever this condition starts for me, I know I eventually have to replace the starter solonoid (on the starter) or the starter itself. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Jmartish

Ok I would like to start out with thanks for not dragging me over the coals because of my lack of knowledge about my machine.I was wrong about the voltage there is a tiny little m in front of the V on the meter which you all know is milla volts.      I am wondering if 12 v is enough to turn over the engine.

Magicman

A fully charged battery should read at least 12.6 vdc.  If it actually reads only 12 vdc, your battery is not fully charged or defective.

As a note, you will never be dragged over the coals here on the FF, and the only dumb question is an unasked question.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Take time to fully understand your voltmeter. If it was reading millivolts then it should read 12,000 mV not 120 mV. For example take it out to a good battery like the one in your vehicle and checked the vehicle battery voltage when the vehicle is off it should read about 12.6 V like magic man said, when it's running it should rise to about 14 something volts. Make sure you understand your voltmeter so you can believe what you are reading that's very important.

4x4American

Quote from: Percy on October 28, 2018, 11:42:38 AM
Im just guessing here...so for what its worth....I believe I have the same engine as you on my 2003 LT70. I have more than 11,000 hours on it and have have changed about 5 starters over the years. While holding the key in the start position, tap the starter with a hammer.Not hard but firmly. It may start. When ever this condition starts for me, I know I eventually have to replace the starter solonoid (on the starter) or the starter itself.
On my Baker A resaw with Kohler diesel, the other day it wouldn't start.  I tapped starter with hamburger and it fired up.  All good.  The next day I did it again and it wouldn't start.  Hitting starter with hammer didn't do it.  It was a bad ground.  Now it works fine, where they crimped the end onto the wire had worked itself loose and got detritus in it.  Re-affixed it and off to the races.  
Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

Is that hamburger frozen, or if not can you tell us how that works?

samandothers

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 28, 2018, 03:13:28 PM
Is that hamburger frozen, or if not can you tell us how that works?
You beat me to it!   :D

Southside

Dug is up in that north country - where things are always frozen!!   ;D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

4x4American

Just give it a little mustard and a hamburger works great boys!
Boy, back in my day..

Jmartish

Ok I cleaned the battery post and bought a new battery charger. The battery is now reading 14v . The voltage at the starter is 14v . And I only get chatter out of the hydraulic box

Jack S

I still say you have a bad ground especially when you have two separate problems. follow the ground wire from the battery and clean where it is attached  to the frame. I'm not familiar with your machine where that is but it should be easy to trace also like someone else mentioned it could be in a crimped terminal on the wire.    Jack

Jack S

Another thought is there a safety switch that will not let you start the engine if say the engine belt drive is engaged? you woodmizer guys should know if this could be the issue

Thank You Sponsors!