iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Paint & stain sprayer recommendations

Started by Jeff, April 10, 2020, 02:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I have a huge job I want to accomplish asap this spring. Powerwashing then staining my logsided house along with the cabin and all the fencing. Way to much to want to brush and it's not rollable, so I need a sprayer and know nothing about them

What say you?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

breederman

I've always used a pump up garden sprayer to stain my log home. 
Together we got this !

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

GAB

I used a pressure washer to wash and rinse the house.  Please note- it is best to try the pressure washer in an area that is not visible as it can damage the wood.
After the siding dried I used a Wagner 550 Paint Crew unit to paint with.
It is best to be at least two as it takes one to keep the hopper filled.
It's been 35+/- years since I painted and only the south sides is starting to need it again.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Jeff

alan gage

I borrowed a friend's Graco airless sprayer a couple times this past year. What a game changer! Used it to spray the outside of a house and garage and also the ceiling of my new shop. You buy different tip sizes (different orifice size) depending on how thick of a product you're spraying. They say you can switch back and forth between water and oil base paints/stains but they don't wholeheartedly recommend it. I was only spraying water based paint.

You can cover a lot of ground in a hurry and I was easily able to cover in one coat where with a brush/roller it was taking two coats.

I believe this is the model I was using: Magnum X7 Electric TrueAirless Sprayer

They have lower cost units available too. I haven't looked into them to see how they compare.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

alan gage

It took me an hour to spray 3 gallons on the 1250sq ft ceiling of my shop using a scissor lift. Would have been less if it was all open but the loft slowed me down a bit. I was very impressed with how little was hanging in the air when done. I did have the overhead door open but there is no cross flow. It did leave a fine white dust on everything so there was some spray settling.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

alan gage

I just realized I'd originally linked to the wrong sprayer. I edited my above post with the correct link.

Alan

47sawdust

I agree with Alan.An airless sprayer will make short work of the spray job.A good rental place should have one or buy used off CL,use it and re-sell.
Pressure washers come with a variety of nozzles so you should be able to clean white cedar w/o a problem.
You will spend more time on prep and clean up than actually spraying.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

SunnyHillFarm

I have hemlock boards for siding on the house. I found it hard to eliminate the start and stop marks when pressure washing. I found you need to treat it like spray painting to keep the marks from being quite visible. Maybe I had too much pressure. The airless sprayers cover a lot of ground in a hurry with little over spray. I use a low end Wagner airless sprayer. It is hard to find the new nozzles for it now. A back pack garden spray also works well and eliminates the hoses / cords.

jmouton

lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Marty

Jeff,
I have a Graco sprayer and love it.  

Southside

Make that 3 satisfied Graco owners.  I wish I had bought mine years before.  Worth every penny and easy to use.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

low_48

I rented a sprayer, similar to the Graco the other guys are talking about, the last time I painted the house. Got it from the same place I bought the paint. Took some extra cleanup with the spray head to start since the last renter did a poor job. Clean up is a real pain, since you have to flush out all that hose. Not so bad with latex paint, but it's going to use a lot of mineral spirits if you use oil based stain. My cousin bought the Harbor Freight version and was very pleased with it when he did his house.  It does go fast, and prep is critical as usual. I used a big long handle scrub brush and TSP to pretreat the siding, then followed up with a pressure washer. You don't want the single nozzle wand, too much pressure. You'll want the nozzle that rotates and puts out a circular pattern. 

clearcut

Least powerful Graco and water based paint were an absolute game changer on the deep groves in T-111 siding over brush and roller. Back wall of the garage with no windows to mask took a only a few minutes. Incredibly satisfying how quickly it was finished. 

Getting ready to do it again after 11 years I think. Two coats over primer all sprayed held up well. 

I don't like the Graco indoors due to fine overspray. It has a roller attachment, that is only worth cleaning for multi room project. 

Uses lots of water to clean, and I am reluctant to use an oil based product due to the amount of liquid needed. I use a HVLP gun for small oil based finishing projects. 
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Southside

Have you tried a smaller nozzle to reduce over spray? 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

CCCLLC

Hoping to spray the shop, rough sawn B&B pine. Do I need to also back brush after I spray as well. That would require an extra hand if that is what I'm looking at.

Hilltop366

Thinking about when I rented a commercial airless sprayer to primer and paint the interior of a 3600 sqft house, I was around 35 at the time and although I primed the entire interior in part of a day with a second guy rolling it behind me I also remember how tired and sore my arms and shoulders were for days from holding up the spray head. It was new construction so there was no trim, interior doors, kitchens or flooring yet so minimal prep, if I had to tape everything I never would have bothered with the sprayer.

Kind of reminds me of a gas powered pole saw in a way, it does lots of work in a hurry but man my arms are tired.

I've never had the desire to rent one again.

Raider Bill

I'd really consider a pump up sprayer for what you are doing.
I have a airless with a 3 ft sprayer extension which really helps keep the fatigue low after a day of spraying, plus it cuts the ladder work down to almost nothing on a single story building.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SawyerTed

Last summer I used a pump sprayer to spray a bleach and trisodium phosphate solution on my wester red cedar siding.  After a 30 minute soak, I used a pressure washer to clean the siding.  I held the and 24-30" away from the siding.

After the siding dried I used a Graco sprayer to spray my siding with stain.

Here are a couple of photos.  Before and after cleaning.

n

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SawyerTed

My sprayer is the Graco Magnum X7.  It has the taller stand so it works easily with 5 gallon buckets.  Applying the stain took a fraction of the time it took to clean the siding. I used an aluminum overspray shield with a handle  and cardboard as shields t prevent getting stain on the painted areas and windows.

Here is the same area with the stain applied. 

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

alan gage

Quote from: CCCLLC on April 11, 2020, 09:25:53 AM
 Do I need to also back brush after I spray as well. That would require an extra hand if that is what I'm looking at.
Not from my limited experience. I was trying to stretch paint so put a light coat on the ceiling of my shop. I was a little worried the overlaps would show because of the extra paint thickness in those areas but I can't tell.
Alan

SawyerTed

With right stain, no back brushing is necessary unless it's sprayed too thick and runs.  

Jeff

Can you spray an oil base like sikkens with a graco and how do you clean up?

Southside

Yes, oil base is fine.  Cleanup is with mineral spirits, not paint thinner.  You can't spray lacquer or other hot types of paint. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!