iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpener

Started by Jcsullivan3, September 03, 2022, 08:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jcsullivan3

The current timeline for having my blades sharpened and returned is 6 weeks. It was longer a few months ago. The situation prompted me to explore a system for sharpening my own blades. Initially I looked at the battery powered sharpener by Wood-Mizer. I have an LT-40 so I figured staying within the brand would work best. However, WM in North Carolina said they had no idea how long it would take to get one. They also recommended buying the automatic sharpener that plugs in and stays stationary. 

I also checked with Cooks. They have the Cat Claw sharpener but said it would take 18 months to get one.

Any recommendations on other sources. Not impressed with Hudson or Woodland Mills offerings. 

Thanks guys!

James Sullivan
James Sullivan
828-302-7717

D6c

Can't remember the exact date I ordered a WM BMS250 but I think it's been less than 2 months. I got a call this week telling me it was ready and will probably be here next week.

Southside

You can't beat an oil bath, CBN style sharpener.  The whole profile gets ground and there is no fudding around with stone profiles and such. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dan R

James,
Not sure of the delivery time on the Woodland mills sharpener but I have one. It does a good job for me. It is slow, but faster than I can dull a blade.
Dan. 

MattM

@D6C 2 months! I've been waiting 6 months for my bms250, it was supposed to be here 2 months ago and when I called I got a 'don't call us, we'll call you'from the dealer..... Not impressed
LT35HDG25

D6c

Quote from: MattM on September 04, 2022, 02:53:41 AM
@D6C 2 months! I've been waiting 6 months for my bms250, it was supposed to be here 2 months ago and when I called I got a 'don't call us, we'll call you'from the dealer..... Not impressed
I looked it up...the order was placed on 8/3.  I didn't go through a dealer, just called WM direct with the order if that makes a difference.

MattM

Is that August 3rd or March 8th that you ordered it... Just wondering cause if it was March 8th then mine might be here soon, I ordered on March 15th
Haha ...if its August 3rd than I'm pi$$ed
LT35HDG25

D6c

That was august 3rd....I'd be calling my dealer and asking what's up.

MattM

I definitely will be after the long weekend. Hopefully he'll have some good news for me.
LT35HDG25

Jcsullivan3

Quote from: D6c on September 04, 2022, 09:20:40 AM
Quote from: MattM on September 04, 2022, 02:53:41 AM
I looked it up...the order was placed on 8/3.  I didn't go through a dealer, just called WM direct with the order if that makes a difference.
Wow. I didn't think you could order directly from WM. I'll try that. Thanks for the feedback y'all.
James Sullivan
828-302-7717

D6c

I don't have a dealer nearby so I've always ordered direct....no problem.

Dewey

I've had a Wright Sharpener for 20 years...  Along with a Timberwolf Setter  We sharpen 40 plus blades per month.

isaaccarlson

I just saw a conversion kit for chainsaw grinders that lets you sharpen bands.  It uses a cbn wheel that is contoured to your tooth profile.  Been thinking about getting one.

bigblockyeti

Quote from: isaaccarlson on September 12, 2022, 03:18:56 AM
I just saw a conversion kit for chainsaw grinders that lets you sharpen bands.  It uses a cbn wheel that is contoured to your tooth profile.  Been thinking about getting one.
That sounds interesting, who makes it?

TundraFlyer

Yes, a link to this would be muchly appreciated. 8)

schreib69

Quote from: isaaccarlson on September 12, 2022, 03:18:56 AM
I will 2nd the request for a link. . . a name brand. . . anything.  I just spent the last week designing and building a prototype to sharpen my(relatively) small bands on my little baby 18" Hud-Son Oscar.  I used a Milwaukee LiON die grinder and built a jig to align with the back of the blade (mounted in the machine) to face the leading face only.  It seem to work "OK" but I understand from folks who know better that I also have to touch up the trailing edge / face and pre-set the teeth.  It sounds like setting the teeth FIRST is important and kind of takes away from my idea of sharpening on the machine.  Regardless, I feel, from what I have seen it basically works and touches up nicely and accurately what I designed it for.  

Still, would rather have a FULL profile grinding wheel to I could hand hold with my die grinder or my Makita angle grinder rather than spending two grand for "system".  I don't have much experience at milling at this point, less than 5000 BF total probably, so use a grain of salt here!

beenthere

Quotewould rather have a FULL profile grinding wheel to I could hand hold with my die grinder or my Makita angle grinder 

Think that could possibly work? If so, you are much steadier than I.  ;)

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!