iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Entry level sawmills with boxed carriage?

Started by cedew, August 12, 2022, 06:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cedew

Hello Folks, I ordered a Harbor Freight sawmill at the end of May and still no sawmill over two months later, so I'm looking at other options. One of the things I didn't like about the HF sawmill was that the carriage has only two posts and you can see the wobble in videos, but of course it was cheap and I figured a cheap sawmill would be more fun than no sawmill. My budget has increased a little since then, so I'm looking at cancelling the HF sawmill and am considering the Woodland Mills HM126 or the Frontier OS27, mostly because I like their more rigid carriage design, plus their lead times are at four weeks or less, so maybe I could still have a little fun before winter. I suppose I'm slightly leaning towards the Frontier for the 11ft boards, though the adjustable guide on the HM126 would be nice to have, but really they're close enough that any type of sale would probably sway me either way. My main question is, are there any other models of similar price point with a boxed carriage that I should be looking at? 
Woodland Mills HM126

btulloh

For quick delivery you're probably looking at the two best options. Both of those are owned by quite a few members here and all are happy with their choice. I've had an HM126 for 5 or 6 years and been very pleased with the mill and the company. The new version is much improved over my model. I think your instincts are taking you in a good dir3ction. 
HM126

rusticretreater

I have a HM130Max and love it.  Most of the sawmill vendors are listed in the left sidebar.  
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Magicman

Quote from: cedew on August 12, 2022, 06:06:35 PMso I'm looking at cancelling the HF sawmill
Absolutely do this and then make your final decision regarding one of the quality low priced sawmills that you mentioned.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BandsawBen

My first mill was a hud-son oscar 30. Bought it in 2006 and it was a great entry level mill. I cut alot of wood on this mill, sold it when i bought my lt40hd.  i sold it to a friend for almost what i paid 10 years later and he used it and loved it. He then upgraded and sold it to another friend for the same sale price he paid me. This same mill is still cutting wood to this day teaching newbies. Its a very simple and great beginner mill. 

kelLOGg

Consider a cooks saw mill. I have had mine 20 years and saws as well today as when new. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Gere Flewelling

I ditto what KelLoGg said.  A little more money and wait time, but well worth the extra.  No shake in the head of my Cook's mill.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

dmoneyallstar

Quote from: cedew on August 12, 2022, 06:06:35 PM
Hello Folks, I ordered a Harbor Freight sawmill at the end of May and still no sawmill over two months later, so I'm looking at other options. One of the things I didn't like about the HF sawmill was that the carriage has only two posts and you can see the wobble in videos, but of course it was cheap and I figured a cheap sawmill would be more fun than no sawmill. My budget has increased a little since then, so I'm looking at cancelling the HF sawmill and am considering the Woodland Mills HM126 or the Frontier OS27, mostly because I like their more rigid carriage design, plus their lead times are at four weeks or less, so maybe I could still have a little fun before winter. I suppose I'm slightly leaning towards the Frontier for the 11ft boards, though the adjustable guide on the HM126 would be nice to have, but really they're close enough that any type of sale would probably sway me either way. My main question is, are there any other models of similar price point with a boxed carriage that I should be looking at?

I ordered my HF sawmill on May 27th. I hung in there with the couple emails and phone call asking me if I wanted to keep my order despite the backorder. Well it finally arrived via LTL freight on August 12th. Took 77-days, but I got to use the 20% coupon ($480-off). I designed a similar one (in Solidworks) and the parts & materials alone would've cost me $1750. And that's before my fab' time. Was a no-brainer for $2158 delivered to my shop. Had it running 3hr later. My 10pk of Cooke's blades arrived same afternoon.

Simple to operate, and I'm a first-timer (but I am heavy-machine-friendly though). Same complaint about the instructions, but still got it running in a couple of hours. Just for making better use out of the 35-acre of family woods (besides fireplace wood).

I cut four ~6' red oak logs like butter and then got greedy trying to get one last board on the 4th log. Nicked the steel clamp handle and instantly trashed that blade. Rookie mistake.

I added an extension tube to the water dripper above the blade, and attached the water valve to the frame for easier on/off. I plan to add a second valve so I can have one set to the right flow I never touch, and then just an on/off for in between cuts. Also making some dust shields with brushes for the rollers to keep the saw dust from accumulating on the rails/rollers, and making a 2nd log clamp. I run a fab shop on the side, so this unit will get some mild trinkets no doubt.

Rails will get mounted to my 16' trailer deck and I'll fork the gantry on/off with the skid steer.

cedew

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Still sitting here with no HF sawmill after ordering it at the end of May, so I just pulled the trigger on the HM126 with 14hp motor. I was initially planning on buying the 9.5hp motor and selling it for a Predator 420, but at the last moment I noticed that the 9.5hp version did *not* include the adjustable blade guide, which I wanted. At that point, the 14hp upgrade actually does become a good value. Also ordered one extension kit, the spares kit, and a cant hook. I'll get extra blades from Kasco, or Woodmizer, or Cooks. Seems like people are happy with any off those. Oh, and the thing that really pushed me to finally make the purchase today is that I just noticed the lead time dropped to 2 weeks.

I do have one minor nitpick about Woodland Mills though. I was initially considering the HM130MAX, but with the accessories and shipping it just became too much. When running the numbers, I noticed that there's an ad here on the forum showing the HM130MAX priced at $4799, which I figured was just something nice they were doing for forum members. Nope, and not only that, they wouldn't honor that price. Put a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth, but I've read nothing but good things about their customer service, so I decided not to dig in my heels on that one.
Woodland Mills HM126

WDFL

Congratulations, hope it serves you well.   I bet you made a good choice.   How much did you end up paying?    Kind of crummy they wouldn't honor their promotional pricing but I get it; costs are escalating quickly these days.

I took a very hard look at the HM mills and they seem to be very good products for the price point.  
LT15(S) w/GO Option
Kubota L2501 HST w/Grapple
Collector of antique 2-cylinder John Deere tractors

cedew

Cheers, I'm very excited to get to started with it. Have a bunch of things to do over the next few weeks to prep for its arrival. Already have a bunch of trees on the ground though; incense cedar, douglas fir, white fir, and ponderosa pine. Some white oak too, but that'll be saved for the fireplace next winter. 

Total price for the 14hp HM126, track extension, spares kit, cant hook, and freight, was $4,785 (US). 
Woodland Mills HM126

Ljohnsaw

Where are you located?  From the list of trees, I'd say Northern California in the Sierras somewhere around 5,000' elevation.  Save yourself a LOT of grief - don't mill the white fir.  It likes to move a lot as it dries.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

olcowhand

Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

jpassardi

Congrats, I think your switch from HF to Woodland Mills will be money well spent.
Be sure to get the bunks fully supported and level. It's especially important on setups with angle as the only longitudinal supports.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

dmoneyallstar

Congrats on the purchase.

I hope the 2-piece track lengths fit together better than the HF rails did, good Lord. The china-made HF rails aren't even the same HxW dimensions :D. And shimming between the bunk & rail only puts the bunk out-of-plane. I'm switching to 2 solid sticks of 5/16" thk rail from Alro, a $325 cost. I'm also going to box in my gantry. Basically...making corrections already included in your HM126.

cedew

Quote from: ljohnsaw on September 01, 2022, 12:34:07 AM
Where are you located?  From the list of trees, I'd say Northern California in the Sierras somewhere around 5,000' elevation.  Save yourself a LOT of grief - don't mill the white fir.  It likes to move a lot as it dries.
A little lower, but great guess! Thanks for the tip on the white fir. Does it help if it's been on the ground for a while? I'm going to have a bunch of questions about what you can get away with when it comes to building an outdoor shed with fresh cut lumber and staining/sealing it. 

Quote from: jpassardi on September 01, 2022, 08:34:24 AM
Congrats, I think your switch from HF to Woodland Mills will be money well spent.
Be sure to get the bunks fully supported and level. It's especially important on setups with angle as the only longitudinal supports.
Definitely a little concerned about getting it leveled and solid, especially with the extensions. There's no plan yet, but I might scab something temporary with 2x6's and shims, then cut some heavy blocks and go with those. Had access to some nice railroad ties a while ago, wishing I'd have grabbed them, but there may still be some available.

Quote from: dmoneyallstar on September 01, 2022, 09:15:19 AM
Congrats on the purchase.

I hope the 2-piece track lengths fit together better than the HF rails did, good Lord. The china-made HF rails aren't even the same HxW dimensions :D. And shimming between the bunk & rail only puts the bunk out-of-plane. I'm switching to 2 solid sticks of 5/16" thk rail from Alro, a $325 cost. I'm also going to box in my gantry. Basically...making corrections already included in your HM126.
Was thinking of doing the same with the HF. Didn't look like it'd be much work to box it in. I love Alro! I might weld these together, we'll see how smooth I can get them when butted up.

Woodland Mills HM126

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: cedew on September 01, 2022, 03:25:36 PMA little lower, but great guess! Thanks for the tip on the white fir. Does it help if it's been on the ground for a while? I'm going to have a bunch of questions about what you can get away with when it comes to building an outdoor shed with fresh cut lumber and staining/sealing it.

My property is at 5,672' at Yuba Gap on I80.  Early on I milled some red and white fir.  The red is full of knots and stress.  Most twisted and split.  The white fir liked to twist and split the middle and two adjacent boards (2x stuff).  Any beams would check heavily.   So where are you located?  Please update your profile.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

cedew

Super cool! I'm familiar with the exit, used to head out there sometimes in winter. We're more west of you and out in the sticks a little bit, takes me about 20min to get to Nyack. Don't think I could handle 5672' without a significant investment in snow equipment. Sometimes we'll have four feet on the ground, like last December. That gets a little old without any snow removal equipment.

Think I've got the location added. Took me a bit. Took me ten minutes just to figure out how to multi-quote.

Don't know my trees very well. Suppose I'll need to make sure I can differentiate between red fir and douglas fir before I start cutting.
Woodland Mills HM126

Thank You Sponsors!