iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pic of 38 hp Kohler please

Started by D6c, September 07, 2022, 03:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Anyone out there with a newer WM LT40 with a 38 hp Kohler engine?
I'd like a pic of the specific model number of the engine that WM is using.

I'd also be interested in any pics of how the belt engagement and throttle is set up to operate.

I'm looking into replacing the Onan engine on my old '87 LT40 and want a little more power than the 25hp upgrade that WM offers.
In addition to more power, the 38 hp can mount an external alternator, which I'm in need of with the hydraulics I've added to the machine.

If you've made a conversion like this I'd like to hear how it went for you.

doc henderson

Well I will jump in to get the party started.  here is mine but on a Timber King.

electric clutch 

throttle by remote 12 v switch.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

D6c

Thanks Doc,
So yours is set up with an electric clutch similar to a zero turn mower and has a solenoid to run the throttle?

Saw this LT40 video: WE CAN'T BELIEVE IT FINALLY CAME! - YouTube
 At about 5:15 in it shows the motor tilting to engage the belts, which is the way my old LT40 works, but with a manual lever.

A switch to actuate a throttle solenoid would be easy enough to rig up.

dustyhat

Tell use where you find that big Kohler ,when you find one.

D6c

Quote from: dustyhat on September 07, 2022, 05:08:53 PM
Tell use where you find that big Kohler ,when you find one.
Well, finding one may be a bigger problem than I had guessed....WM must be getting them somewhere.

doc henderson

D6c, yes and yes.  I texted Matt to see if they have them for sale at TK.  they are not listed on the accessory page, but there is a Kubota 25 hp diesel.  8K.  I will let you know what he says.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

D6c

Ooh... that diesel is probably out of the question.  Could get a couple of Kohlers for the price.

doc henderson

matt said call and ask for Mike.  the are a sponsor.  as you prob. know.   :)

D6c

Was looking on ebay for Kohler engines.  One seller has several "38HP ECH980-3011" engines that are supposedly take-outs from new equipment.
The catch is the crankshaft stub in on the flywheel side and none on the other side.
If you could find a different crank and were willing to tear it down and switch out the cranks it might be a deal.
Price is right compared to one the the right crank.  $2695

I talked with WM this morning and they told me the 38 hp engine they use is a ECH940-3020.
So far I haven't been able to find a breakdown for what the different last digits on the model numbers designate.
Might have to visit my local Kohler dealer to see if they have any info.

doc henderson

D6c

Here's a couple of pics from the listing.  Wonder how much trouble it would be to find a different crank?

doc henderson

is the stub on the back threaded? you need a good machinist.  @Old Greenhorn 
or turn it and relocate controls.  maybe more work than the savings allows.

doc henderson

see if there is a clutch made for that stub on the back.  with all the mounting holes, there must be a way, unless it is just a standard casting.

doc henderson

If threaded you might check size and count per inch.  It has to be adaptable to stuff on the back side.  I would get rid of the front shaft or make a guard.

doc henderson

I found a company (Grabhi) advertising the engine for 52.28 and free shipping, in Mi.  I called the number and it was disconnected.  I found cranks from 200 bucks new but removed from other engines to new from Kohler for 471.  I think a machinist could drill and tap the stub.  one pic made that hole look like a lathe point.  not a threaded hole.  on the inch and 5/8th stub side.  

Old Greenhorn

I retired so I don't have to deal with that stuff anymore. Leave me out of it. :D :) ;D

Seriously, no way to adapt that. Piston engines have a pulsing impact on the shaft, no a smooth torque as many think. The only right way to do that is replace the crank, sorry to say, but than you have a proper setup.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

MartyParsons

Hello, 
    Not tring to discourage you! Here are things that have been changed since 1987.

• Cam bearings on the top and bottom rail were changed to accept heavier engines in 1996 so the bearing is on the top at a 90 degree angle not a 45 degree angle. 
  • Top bottom rail the steel used is much harder compond. 
  • The engine pulley and drive bearings have changed to help with longevity. 
  • The engine mount has changed engine mounts are now a solid aluminum and not rubber mount.  You can change your rubber mounts to the new design. 
  • The 38 hp engine uses a 3/5 V belt which is 3 belts in one. 
  • Kohler designed the engine specifically for the side load from the drive belt. When you purchase a engine not using the spec number it may be or not be designed for the side load and may fail. 
  • No internal chargine system on the 38 hp spec from WM. 
Hope this helps. 
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

D6c

Quote from: MartyParsons on September 08, 2022, 04:49:27 PM
Hello,
   Not tring to discourage you! Here are things that have been changed since 1987.

• Cam bearings on the top and bottom rail were changed to accept heavier engines in 1996 so the bearing is on the top at a 90 degree angle not a 45 degree angle.
  • Top bottom rail the steel used is much harder compond.
  • The engine pulley and drive bearings have changed to help with longevity.
  • The engine mount has changed engine mounts are now a solid aluminum and not rubber mount.  You can change your rubber mounts to the new design.
  • The 38 hp engine uses a 3/5 V belt which is 3 belts in one.
  • Kohler designed the engine specifically for the side load from the drive belt. When you purchase a engine not using the spec number it may be or not be designed for the side load and may fail.
  • No internal chargine system on the 38 hp spec from WM.
Hope this helps.
Marty
Good to know about those changes.
I've always thought the rails should have been a case hardened shaft like Thompson "60 case"
The only one I'm too concerned about is getting an engine that will take the side load.  A lot of applications don't have side load, but things like zero turn mowers do, with the clutch hanging on the back end driving the mower deck.
One of the reasons for looking at a new engine is having an external alternator.  The Onan doesn't do too bad but if you're running the hydraulics a lot the battery can start to get low.
Still up in the air whether this is going to be worth it, especially with difficulty sourcing an engine.

D6c

Quote from: doc henderson on September 08, 2022, 02:51:55 PM
is the stub on the back threaded? you need a good machinist.  @Old Greenhorn
or turn it and relocate controls.  maybe more work than the savings allows.
In a former life I was a moldmaker, and have some machines in my shop, so that kind of work isn't a problem.
I found the contact info for the company listing those take-out engines for sale.  I may give them a call and see if
there's anyone there that's knowledgeable enough about the engines to help and see if a crank is available.

Now what I really need, is a crank with shafts on both ends so I could mount the alternator on the flywheel side.
The 27 hp in my ExMark mower has shafts on both ends.....Hmmm, do I really need that mower?

bigblockyeti

You could pull the crank and have a machinist drill & tap 6 holes in an array like you'd see on the back of a crankshaft for a car/truck engine.  You'd then need a stub shaft made to bolt onto the crank after you put everything back together.  I've been looking at what 14hp Kohler WM used on my mill as I wanted to know if it has a ring gear or magnets on the inside of the flywheel for a light duty charging circuit.  It seems they used whatever was the abolute cheapest so basically what the Woodland Mills have minus most of the features.  I'm still a bit lost as to how mounting an alternator on the flywheel side helps with hydraulics, I would think a hydraulic pump would be in order?

VooDooChikin04

@doc henderson  I also have a Kohler 38hp identical to what you posted here, that I am going to use on my mill.  Question, are you running any hydraulics? Or is your TK belt driven to the blade only?   Just curious as I'm getting back into my build.   Thanks!

doc henderson

belt to the blade with clutch and switch.  belt to hydraulic pump full time.  full hydraulic.  you can look at TK description as they are a sponsor to the left.

Iwawoodwork

My mill has a Honda 18 with only a shaft out one side with a 3 or 4 groove pulley, one grove is for the hyd pump, and two groves are the drive belts, I have thought about adding a 2-groove pulley to the hyd pump to run belt a small alternator to keep my log/cant turner winch battery fully charged.
 If the side load is a concern, is there room and a place to mount an out-board bearing?  Might be possible to build an oversize crankshaft extension that one end is bored to slip over the crank stub and then use a multigroove pulley that will fit the larger extension and have enough grooves to operate the saw, hyd pump and an alt.

Dewey

I recently bought one from Union Agway in Maine.... 
After searching the whole country trying to find what was on my mill Kohler 26 HP.
Kohler Engines are scarcer than hens teeth..
I have a Timber Harvester and had to make a few mod's to my mill to get it to fit...

Thank You Sponsors!