iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maximum traveling payload capacity of bandmill bed?

Started by bigblockyeti, September 13, 2022, 11:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Quote from: bigblockyeti on September 13, 2022, 11:42:10 AMI'm not sure if it would handle that weight moving or with the factory 5 lug axle that's under it.
My LT40SH has a 6 lug axle under it.  I believe 225R75 15 tires.

Even though the outriggers carry the log's weight while sawing the sawmill undercarriage still suffers some rigors from use/abuse.  I recently had an issue to repair:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

One addition consideration is in the travel configuration, the bed isn't open for much to be hauled.  The log turner, two plane clamp and log lift arms occupy the space in front of the head.  

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

bigblockyeti

Thanks for the link MM and the actual data that you and Walnut Beast have provided so far.  The new LT40 super appears to have five lugs per the WM site which strikes me as odd.  I suspect you put enough miles and use on anything, you'll have fatigue issues somewhere.

Ted, is that your LT50?  I know the area beneath isn't well suited for storage, that's another solution that will have to be developed.

Hilltop366

I like the bus idea, a cube van or decommissioned ambulance would do the job too.

Then there are all those cool 4x4 military trucks on Iron planet, probably more trouble than they are worth.

alecs

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 13, 2022, 05:45:10 PMOne addition consideration is in the travel configuration, the bed isn't open for much to be hauled.
The three black towers, are those the bed support legs in travel mode?  That sure eats up a lot of open space!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

One time up here, before it was common to have a camera, I saw an old box ambulance, still in it's colors, hauling a cemetery vault mover, with a huge knarly maple log hanging in it.

Jeff

Which brings to mind the time just a few years back in Harrison, there was a female dwarf pulling a red wagon with three bowling balls slogging around in it, down the edge of business 27.

SawyerTed

That's a photo of an LT 40 in travel configuration.  OlJarhead does carry some tools, a spare tire and fuel in custom made expanded metal baskets and on a platform on the bed.

The LT 40 Super Hydraulic weighs in at 4,200 pounds.  The LT 50 comes on a 5,000# axle according to the owner manual.   I would think the LT40 Super has the same axle as the 50 based on Magicman's comment.  The 50 is 200 or 300 pounds heavier than the 40 Super.

The LT40 Hydraulic comes with a 3500 pound axle and 14" tires.  It is similar to the LT35 in weight.

The manuals for all are on the Woodmizer website under Resources.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

The axle rating is probably 6k on your mill. 

The biggest concern I would have wouldn't be the extra weight it would be securing  and tie down to secure the top heavy motorcycle as opposed of having a big log on the deck. The Woodmizer doesn't have the room compared to a Timberking deck. Having a 2,500 lb log on the deck raging down the road 75 mph is a little different especially if you hit some nasty spots in the road. 

240b

I drove 1900 miles with a cooks edger on top of the mill from the factory. it was heavy. Im pretty sure it bottomed out at least once on I-81.  not recommended. 

doc henderson

BB you seem like a smart guy.  I guess you can try it out and see if it looks safe.  my mill has the wheels near the back and a long ways to the tip of the tongue.  a board or cant distributes its weight over several bunks and has some rigidity and supports its self to some extent.  I would be most worried about significant weight half between the axle and tongue.  good luck and let us know what you decide.  pics are always great.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OlJarhead

ok, I missed this earlier.

I would not load anything like an atv on the mill.  As I said in my post I try to limit the weight as much as I can

In your post you said 7 to 8 years?  I'm confused by that??

Did you mean days?  Drop the ATV, get a super crew and fill the back seat with tools and bands etc and use all the camper storage etc and keep the load on the mill light.
That's my advice.

Oh and yes to the motorcycle on the front od the truck.  Lots dot it
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

SawyerTed

I'll leave these tidbits from the Woodmizer operators manual below.  The liability rests with those who don't follow the warning provided in the manual.  There are more than opinions that guide those with years of experience towing and operating portable sawmills.  

Many of us rely on our mills as a part of a business.  Most of us have more at stake than a $50k plus plus sawmill than to risk all because we don't WANT to make a couple of safe trips within the operating parameters of our equipment. 

Even the one example of someone who transports some tools on his mill regularly advises against anything more.  

Walnut Beast

He did say he would except the responsibility and checking on the laws. I will agree with that to a certain extent. No different than people using the magic hook idea. I'm sure that's not approved by Woodmizer especially if someone gets hurt or damages the mill

Southside

Failure of the magic hook isn't going to happen on a public road where a van load of kids meets half a sawmill head on hooked to an ATV at 65 MPH.

There is a difference.

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

I get it. But it doesn't mean it's going to happen. He said he would check the laws and take responsibility. 

Tom K

Well this is a somewhat amusing thread. The OP doesn't say if he's in the US or Africa, if he plans on driving from Florida to Alaska, or 5 miles down the road and another 5 miles into the bush. All these details matter to a certain extent. If it's far enough that you can't make two trips then it seems like a bad idea to try to do it all in one trip. Especially with a WM mill, other frame styles would be slightly more conducive.

Slide in campers are heavy. It sounds to me like the best solution would be a 1 ton dually with a 25' trailer that you can load the mill & ATV on, as long as that doesn't interfere with your slide in camper.

But, I'm sure this isn't the information the OP wants to hear since I didn't say it's a good idea. He seams purdy smart though so I'm sure he'll figure out a sawmill will never legally be a trailer, well in most states in the US (if that's were he is.) Who knows maybe we will get another thread in 3-8 years about how to fix a bent frame on a LT40..... ;D

doc henderson

I agree it could be done, but that brings up the old saying, "just because you can, does not mean you should".  I like and understand his goal, and I have made trips like this.  I do camp Alaska and take my mill, and log splitter.  I take the track loader with grapple and forks.  I am now the scoutmaster, and was the camping coordinator so took out the big winter cooking (modular) tent on pallets.  It is 40 miles away and took two trips out and two back or more than one person/vehicle pulling.  The double trailer experience I mentioned was on way to camp trying to pull an empty wood trailer and my log splitter behind.  at about 55 the all started going back and forth.  stopped and called another leader with a truck and pulled them out safely.  We had copies of the laws and designed the trailer for this.  I also have a two inch receiver on the back of the splitter, and I use it for a jack stabilizer, and can tow the conveyor behind it at farm speed.  I do primitive camping as well about 10 miles from home, and we do service at the property.  I have loaded the conveyor onto the gooseneck with the track loader.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

In the 1990's my MIL and FIL had a vehicle totaled by a poorly secured 800 pound bale of tobacco that fell off an overloaded trailer.  The truck and trailer were going one way and my in-laws were going the other. My 3 children were in the car.  The farmer was "just" going 15 miles to the warehouse for the sale.

It was a $25,000 mistake to save a trip and it was nothing but luck that nobody was hurt.

OlJarhead

This is a common argument on the RV forums.  Going over GVW or GVRW even after upgrading everything.  To some it's a big no no and you are gonna cause irreputable harm!  To others it's 'Meh'.

Having towed an LT40 for literally thousands upon thousands of miles with gear on it I have no problem at all with doing it and will continue to do so.  I simply ignore those who refuse to except that it can be done.

However, I'm also not loading it up with an ATV etc.  I'm putting a 50cc chainsaw on it, some pieces of wood, a dozen gallons of fuel, a jug of pinesol, grease gun and tubes, a hammer, claw etc and some chainsaw fuel and oil along with dish liquid.  I'm around or slightly over the GVW for the trailer/sawmill and I'm perfectly fine with that.

TO each their own.  Can the mill handle it?  Well mine can, can't say what anyone elses can or can't do but mine does it in places many of you probably wouldn't even dream of towing your mills LOL

I'm just a crazy old jarhead after all :D
Cheers
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

doc henderson

I think the point is there are limits, and we are all responsible for how far we push beyond those.  I would load hundred of pounds, but not thousands onto my mill. With the latter, the most likely bad outcome could be damage to the mill.

SawyerTed

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 14, 2022, 08:39:16 AM
However, I'm also not loading it up with an ATV etc.  I'm putting a 50cc chainsaw on it, some pieces of wood, a dozen gallons of fuel, a jug of pinesol, grease gun and tubes, a hammer, claw etc and some chainsaw fuel and oil along with dish liquid.  I'm around or slightly over the GVW for the trailer/sawmill and I'm perfectly fine with that.
OlJarhesd this is the key difference between your situation and the OP's idea and very much the point.
You are highly aware of the capacity and just how close you are to that capacity.  Your solution is based on both first hand knowledge and experience.  Even placement of the spare tire has been a consideration in loading you mill  If I understand correctly, you've weighed your rig.   In the end, the GVW is a major factor in loading your mill.  You decisions are well thought and well executed.  
On the other hand, the OP had an idea, probably one we've all had, but his wasn't yet well formed or informed on the capacities of the mill he's considering. Ideas take time to migrate from concept to practice.  
Hopefully the advice and information here will help the idea to develop into an innovative and safe solution.

Thank You Sponsors!