iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many spools on a hydraulic bed

Started by JoshNZ, September 19, 2022, 02:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshNZ

I've had the opportunity to pick up some some valve spools for a reasonable price in my quest to gather parts for going hydraulic. I wondered how many valves you want for fully hydraulic bed only (not head). How many controls are valves and how many are diverted afterwards for multifunction.

Guess I'm also asking how many of each component you have, toe boards at each end, clamps turners etc.

Are the linked rotating backstops ok or would I be better off with two or three vertical back stops?

ladylake

My TK has  

1  Head foward and back plus a speed control knob
2  Log clamp
3 Back stops up and down 
4 toe boards with a selector for front or back
5 Chain turner chain
6 Chain turner up and down
7 Log loader

All at a nice height.   Steve 
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Southside

If you think you may have a live log deck at some point in the future leave valves or at least a power beyond port available for those functions. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

JoshNZ

I've read a bit about power beyond and can't say I really understand it. What stops someone just plumbing the input port of a second spool to the tank return port of your first spool?

fluidpowerpro

You need power beyond because the cavities in the valve casting, at the end of each spool is connected to tank thus keeping the pressure for the spool seals low. Using the tank port as a pressure to feed a downstream valve would expose the spool end seals to high pressure. That part of the valve casting may not be designed for HP either. Also, depending on the valve you plumb in downstream, you may not have relief valve protection because the rv needs to vent to the tank port. 
When a power beyond sleeve is used, you still have to connect the tank port of the first valve to tank, and the outlet of the power beyond sleeve is plumbed to the pressure port of the downstream valve.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

JoshNZ

Right I did wonder about it being a pressure problem. Are there spool banks designed for pressure on the tank port? I've been talking to this guy a while he's bought out a fallen over hydraulic company and has a bunch of stuff. One unit is a 4 and 2 bank spool plumbed exactly like that, little loop between ones output and next input. 

Do you actuate power beyond on the first bank somehow?

JoshNZ

What do you make of that? Looks like it might be what you're describing with two hoses joining them

fluidpowerpro

No, you don't need to "actuate" power beyond in any way. Once the power beyond sleeve, or plug, is installed, it isolates the flow through galley in the valve from the tank galley.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

customsawyer

On my extended mill I have 7 functions on one spool and 6 on the spool for the extension. I run it off of a external hyd. pack. I have the feed line going to the 7 spool then what would normally be the return line going to the 6 spool, from there it is returned to the tank. I didn't know any better. Over the years different WM folks have been down to look at my mill. A few days after one trip I got a call from one of their top hyd. guys. He starts asking questions about how my mill and extension is hooked up. After a bit he tells me it won't work like that. All I could tell him was it had for about 10 years at that time and that was about 8 years ago.  It still works now. I'm sure there are reasons why it isn't supposed to work but as long as it does I'm not going to change it. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Andries

Well CustomSawyer, it's plain to see that he didn't have faith in what you've finessed up.
The rest of us sure do.
"Faith Based Hydraulics" 👍
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

I can't tell you how many extension, university, and other experts, who are all highly educated but don't actually farm for a living, have told me our farming methods won't work. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

customsawyer

Not trying to pick on the OP but I have always called them a valve bank and not a spool. I'm curious what is the proper name or is it a regional thing?
It's amazing how many things will work when you don't know that they aren't supposed to. I've also messed up my share of stuff with this same method of "I didn't think that would happen".
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

JoshNZ

It's when you go to do something obscure or strange with it when you might find out it doesn't work.

I think the spool is the actual steel rod inside the casting itself. They get called spools and valves here, I think proper name is "spool valve".

So new question on same track, should I link all the back stops with a rod and have them rotate up on one cylinder or have seperate vertical stops?

customsawyer

I would have all of the side supports on the same function. The fewer levers you have to use the quicker you'll be able to saw.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!