iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got cedar mulch?

Started by okmulch, November 28, 2022, 06:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okmulch

This pile is just 32 of the 50 semi loads that we have to haul into Oklahoma City Fairgrounds for Cattleman's Congress. Look closely and you can see my wife standing there for scale.  We have the first 3 weeks of December to get all loads hauled in for the pre bedding of stalls since the show starts the first of January. This will be our third year supplying pre bedding for this show. This show has become one of the premier cattle shows in the country for all breeds of cattle coming from all over the country. 
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

Well the barns will smell good! I would like to have the contract to end up with the material after. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawguy21

How do you control heat buildup and spontaneous combustion? It was a real problem for a family friend who had a cedar oil processing plant.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

That pile is going to be redistributed I'll bet before that is an issue. Our shredded bark was sometimes piled for a month or two at a time. It would get toasty at times, but in 20 years of observing it, never had any issues.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

okmulch

Most all mulch piles that catch fire or combust are green when mulched with most of those being pine or hardwood piles. We let the cedar trees dry before we grind them so moisture content is 12 percent or less. All the needles turn brown and then the entire tree, needles, limbs and everything are ground. 
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

thecfarm

And they said it could not be done!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cedarman

Quote from: thecfarm on November 28, 2022, 09:24:38 PM
And they said it could not be done!!!!
You are absolutely right.  The banks literally laughed at us when we presented our business plan to them 18 years ago.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

customsawyer

Cedarman I bet they call on a regular basis now to see if they can loan y'all some funds for something.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Don P

Wow, what a mountain of mulch. The shop I worked in supplied planer shavings to the State Fair and smaller events while I was there but it weren't nothing like that!

barbender

I know a young guy that really has his head on straight. He works his butt off and puts money away, he even made some smart investments and made a pile of money on those! He was looking to buy an excavator in the $100K range. He had the cash, but figured he would borrow $50-$75K of it just to keep his cash free. The bank told him nope, can't do it. He said bite me then, withdrew his money from the bank and went and paid cash for it. The bank called back the following week, "Hey great news we can borrow you that money after all!". Haha no thanks, go fly a kite! I wish I was that kid!😁
Too many irons in the fire

Resonator

50 semi loads... wowzers! :o
Guessing that's all "walking floor" big van trailer loads too? ???
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

okmulch

Yes we use 53 foot live floors. Depending on which trailer we load we can get 135-145 yards on them 

Sedgehammer

Looks like from that distance a big pile of corn silage ! Doubt the cows wood like yo eat it tho . Layin on it , that's a different matter ...... 🤣
Necessity is the engine of drive

Thank You Sponsors!