iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pecan Tree help.

Started by Typhoon, November 24, 2003, 04:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhoon

Greetings! I was talking to dad the other day about all of the trees on our farm, (35 acres of em) and somehow pecan trees came up in the conversation. I told him that there were no pecan trees in our woods. He then said "hey that would be a fun project for us.. lets plant some pecan trees!!" He and I both LOVE pecans. And just the trees in general. So I told him I would inquire on here about how we should do it (i.e. plant seedlings, or actually bury pecans, or whatever), where we could get some, how many to plant,  and how long until they produce nuts. So if anyone has answers to any of these questions, it would be appreciated!  Seems like I heard like 20 years or something until they produce nuts. Anyways, thanks in advance!!
-Brad
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

DanG

Brad, you probably don't want to plant pecans in the woods, if you want to get nuts from them in your lifetime. They need plenty of room. Buy grafted trees of a variety that is known to do well in your area. You are on the northern edge of pecan range, so variety will be important. Seedling trees sometimes produce well, but some don't produce at all.
Down here in the heart of the "pecan belt", you can expect nuts in 7-10 years if everything goes well, and you do all the steps just right. I would think it would take longer up there.
Seedling trees are better for lumber, since they tend to develop a good stem. Grafted trees will have a squatty little stump, sometimes only four or five feet high.   G'luck. :)
Oh yeah, buy your saplings from a good local nursery, so you get the right variety.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Typhoon

Ok... I will plant them in more of an open area, and I will get them from my local nursery. I have a few nice open areas that I can plant them in. Thanks!!! ;D
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Bud Man

Might want to start with a call to Bass Pecan Co-- Lumberton, Ms. The've been at it for about 100 years !  800  732-2671 The're nice folks and will answer any and all questions you might have ! There also on the web. If they think someone in your more immediate area would be best suited to supply the stock because of the difference in latitude (300 miles) they will make some recomendations. Southern Illinois University also has done much work with Pecans and would no doubt be valuable in your search for a local source of nursery or grafting stock whichever you decide to go. I watched and observed a fellow near Forrest City Arkansas start and develop a 40 acre grove about 30 years ago, today It's now as handsome and as productive a stand of pecans as I've seen anywhere. Beats the heck out of growing future tissue paper and well -- 30 years will pass faster than you think !   Good luck with you and your fathers fun venture !!
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Tobacco Plug

Typhoon,
Pecans come in two types, namely Type I and Type II (not very original, but it works) and you need at least one of each type for better pollination.  Check with your Extension Agent or local nursery for variety choices for your area.
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Thank You Sponsors!