iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Axe vs. Hydraulic wood splitter

Started by Viking, November 24, 2003, 11:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

I've only had the chance to use a hydraulic wood splitter once, it was nice to be able to just put the piece of wood in the slot and push the lever forward and have the hydraulics do all the work, but I'm young still and it wont hurt me to use an axe to split wood, besides I dont own a wood splitter "other than m yaxe":P haha

i can probably split fater than one anyway. unless i were to take an put an 8ft log on the splitter and split it, then just cut the two pieces into 14" lengths.

anyway who likes what ?

p.s. i found that most hydraulic splitters have troubles on wood bigger than 24". mean while i can split that with an axe :)

Stan

I like the splitters, they are slow enough for me. I'm old and worn, used hard and put up wet.  :-/
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

OneWithWood

I split over 50 rick (17 cord) of wood a year.  I used to do it with a splitting maul.  A year ago I broke down and bought a hydraulic spiltter.  For a while I used both, using the splitter for really big rounds and narly stuff.  Now I use only the hydraulic splitter.  It is faster because I handle the wood less.  I miss the exercise but I have plenty of other things to work up a sweat with.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Minnesota_boy

I've quit using both and started using my woodmizer to split.  Hydraulic loader, log turner and the ability to split in 16 foot or longer lengths is really cool.  I can split up a pile in a day without really working.  I may let it dry in those lengths and then saw it into blocks later too.  

Mostly now I use the electric heat option and saw lumber instead. :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Wudman

Good clean wood is easy enough to split with an ax or maul, but the rough knarly stuff is best handled with the hydraulic splitter.  Often I will split large rounds with the ax so that I can move them easier to the splitter.  On the really rough stuff, sometimes the hydraulic splitter will just mash them into pieces as opposed to splitting them.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Mark M

I like to split black ash when it is cold (-20F or so). You just barely hit it with the maul and it would jump apart like it was spring-loaded. Birch was almost as easy. This elm I have now don't split so good, in fact much of the time the splittler is actually cutting the wood fibers instead of just separating them. My dad used to say the only way you could split elm is with a chainsaw. That was before hydraulic splitters were common.

Mark

Minnesota_boy

Mark,
Try splitting a 2 to 4 inch slab off the side instead of going too deep.  I can split them that way with a maul, but prefer hydraulic or sawmill.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Viking

QuoteI like to split black ash when it is cold (-20 or so). You just barely hit it with the maul and it would jump apart like it was spring-loaded. Birch was almost as easy. This elm I have now don't split so good, in fact much of the time the splittler is actually cutting the wood fibers instead of just separating them. My dad used to say the only way you could split elm is with a chainsaw. That was before hydraulic splitters were common.

Mark

yeah when its that temp they just crack under the axe and split nicely, actually its -22 right now :) so im gonna go split a few of my bigger ones since i have nothing to do today.

Gus

Elm is the only option we have for firewood here in SD and I split it with a maul. The bigger stuff I rip part way with the 2100 and it splits fairly good that way. Mark, I miss that ash too. It was good wood from more than one standpoint.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Tom

Swinging an axe is one of the more enjoyable things I have done in my life.   I can't do it anymore though because of these DanG worn out shoulders.   I have a hydraulic splitter though and it works just fine.  I think it is fun.  This thing is powerful and carves right through twisted grain and knots that would have given me a real problem with a maul. :)

Tobacco Plug

When I am going to split a lot of firewood I use my wood splitter.  Bought it in 1977 and it still runs!  However, when I have just a few logs I use a maul and wedge or this new top-shaped splitting tool I bought at northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company last week.  Lately I have been sawing up slabs and burning them in the furnace. ;D
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Ed_K

I like these

I still have the mauls and wedges, but a back operation in 95 put a stop to that, cides I did 44 cord so far this yr.
 Ed
Ed K

dan-l-b

Confusus say:  Man who splits his own wood, warms himself twice.   :D :D

Mark M

So then, dat Albert Einstein fella once said something about splitting wood being most satisfying because you could immediately see the fruits of your labor. I think he was right.

Mark

PS - It's also a lot easier to understand than his theory on da relatives!

chet

I bought my splitter in '82, at the time I was making wood for myself and my mother-in-law. My brother, stepdad, and quiet a few friends all called me a wussy.
Funny thing is though, they still all argue who will get to use my old splitter next.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!