iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wild Looking Maple

Started by PA_Walnut, November 25, 2017, 09:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_Walnut

Just purchased this BIG tree for sawing. Hope to get some wild/crazy material out of it based on the way the bark is looking. Tree dude called it "Serragated Maple". Maybe he meant "Variegated maple"...who knows.
Anyone able to ID or comment on this? Will have it on the saw later today or tomorrow. (assuming that it's not loaded with metal). :-\
Thanks.

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

roger 4400

I guess that tree will make some marvellous boards with all that bark figure.  Nice find.
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

xlogger

That hole on the left side of the second picture could be a problem for you, hopefully not. When I get most maples had are like that or with an old broken limb the rot goes to the middle of the tree. Do you pay for trees before they are cut?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Magicman

I have seen Sisters in Law that were prettier than that.   :-X  I'm anxious to see what is inside.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PA_Walnut

Xlogger gets a prize! The tree was hollow about 3/4 of the diameter the WHOLE WAY down.   >:(

Fortunately, no harm, no foul as I hadn't paid for it and the seller was very honest about it.
I was really looking forward to this one. :'(

Scored a 5' diameter sycamore though that's solid and straight for 20'!  :o
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!