iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my mill...

Started by Kbeitz, April 17, 2015, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gww

K
It looks like you are going to have to time it perfect on your stops cause you don't look to have a lot of room to work with.
Good luck
gww.

PS How many times are you going to have to run it with the blade raised to get your timeing right?  I wonder if the timeing will change at all when you are actually cutting?

Kbeitz

Quote from: gww on April 13, 2017, 08:36:54 AM
K
It looks like you are going to have to time it perfect on your stops cause you don't look to have a lot of room to work with.
Good luck
gww.

PS How many times are you going to have to run it with the blade raised to get your timeing right?  I wonder if the timeing will change at all when you are actually cutting?

I ran the head about 10 time to get the timing where I want it.
The limit switch stops it on a dime.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I had to mod the chain holder to hold both the upper and lower chains.
The bracket wanted to raise up high enough the the push bar would
flip up and over the chain.

Limit switch stops are done. The clamp is just temporary.

Last I made a pointer...

Now all I need is enough guts to fire this thing up.
I will be starting with 7 deg. blades.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Here, let me send you some of my guts.  I hate that feeling when you're sure that everything's okay but you never know for 100%!  I wish you all the luck I can muster.  You've earned it.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gww

K
One thing you prove to me over and over is that there is an answer for almost every issue that comes up. 
Cheers
gww

Kbeitz

smiley_clapping Hey... I'm smiling .... Big time... It works.
Thinking about it you would not think that you could turn
a chunk of wood against the blade the way I wanted to do.
But it worked... Ha Ha.... smiley_fiddler

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ga Mtn Man

That is fantastic kb.  I wouldn't have thought it would work either.  Very impressive sir.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

redbeard

Wonder if you could get another 110° of twist in that length, I bet that's a first other than putting the steam too it. Great job Kbeitz
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Ljohnsaw

Pretty cool!  Looks like it didn't go the full 90°, though.  A full 180° would be pretty awesome as well.  The only problem is you need to calculate how long your post is going to be so you can make the ends "square up" to your regular framing.  I can see a lot of testing to put calibration marks on your zeromax.

I can see it now, there will be a oddity/museum were there is not a single straight board in a cabin yet it is structurally sound.  You will be able to sell those twisted beams made to order for $300 (per BF)!!
8)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

$300 (per BF).... Would not that be nice...

How many BF do you want ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

SineWave

That piece of wood came out darned nice...congrats!  8)

I could see those twisted posts used in a barroom...people would think they were twisted before they'd had one drink!  :D

Kbeitz

First cuts I went real slow not knowing what it was going to do to the blade.
I will speed thing up until something starts fighting me. It did turn a full
90 deg. on each pass. I will try a 180 deg. cut after get more comfortable
with this new setup.

https://youtu.be/CRLiOgPA6gk
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: SineWave on April 13, 2017, 07:22:16 PM
That piece of wood came out darned nice...congrats!  8)

Kinda like a Sinewave huh....

Thanks...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Ok... How do I sticker this stuff...?
I would not want to see it get twisted all up after all this work...

https://youtu.be/7xXSPSqUsD0
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

SineWave

Your rig reminds me of a progressive-beveling attachment a guy made for a circular saw so that he could change the bevel along the length of a plank for boatbuilding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDd12SRv2As

Pretty clever ... then he improved the design by making it so he could use a socket wrench instead of a lever to change the bevel while cutting.

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 13, 2017, 07:37:46 PM

btulloh

Pretty DanG neat, KB.  You're amazing.
HM126

btulloh

If M.C. Escher had designed a house, you could build it now.  :)
HM126

Kbeitz

Quote from: SineWave on April 13, 2017, 07:40:01 PM
Your rig reminds me of a progressive-beveling attachment a guy made for a circular saw so that he could change the bevel along the length of a plank for boatbuilding:

Pretty clever ... then he improved the design by making it so he could use a socket wrench instead of a lever to change the bevel while cutting.

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 13, 2017, 07:37:46 PM

Thanks... I liked the video...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

redbeard

If there is not a name or method of this procedure, What will you be naming this.
There are so many uses for this my head won't stop spinning. 8)
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

gww

K
As always, you impress me.
gww

SineWave

"Rifled Posts and Spindles"...?

Might be neat to cut a "rifled" piece and then turn parts of it on a lathe (like a spindle) but leave enough of the original "meat" to show the rifling in the original milling cut...

Or maybe take a "rifled" post and then make flutes all up and down it with a router for decorative effect (and also to emphasize/call attention to the rifling)...

I'm sure there's all kinds of neat things you could do with this with some creative thinking. Local high-dollar builders and architects might be real interested in this product, if they knew it was available.

I'm also real curious what the grain figure looks like as a result. Does it look unusual/pretty? Or does it just look like it's all runout for the full length of the cut? I bet if you cut through some burl/fiddleback grain, like where it almost looks iridescent in walnut, it might look real interesting...

Delawhere Jack

Nice work! Care to take it to the next level? How about adding entasis to the columns...  smiley_book2_page

;D

Kbeitz

Quote from: redbeard on April 13, 2017, 07:53:15 PM
If there is not a name or method of this procedure, What will you be naming this.
There are so many uses for this my head won't stop spinning. 8)

Open for sugustings...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

A controlled twist,how about that!!!!!!!!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!