iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT15GO modification

Started by Brad_bb, February 11, 2015, 11:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I bought my LT15GO last May.  I planned on sawing for myself, at least for the first couple years.  I am into timberframing so beams/timbers are usually my goal.  I also bought the MP100 Beam planer/moulder to give me that capacity to square and surface beams.  I plan on working wtih some longer than average timbers (I have some 24 footers reclaimed that I need to plane).  The MP100 requires a 2 rail mill.  The LT15 is logically in order.  I also wanted the option to tow the mill, in case I want to go to someones place and mill.  So that means I need the LT15GO.  To work with the longer beams I need mill bed extensions.  Woodmizer does not endorse adding extensions to the LT15GO because they don't want anybody trying to tow the mill with a bed extension attached.  It would totally screw up the weight distribution and be dangerous. 

But I knew the LT15 extensions would bolt up, there was just the problem of the support legs being too short.   Well I solved that problem quite easily.  They supplied the adjustable feet for the MP100 bed/LT15 bed (same bed).  They also supplied special 7/8" square nuts, along with the 7/8 hex huts to lock the adjustable feet.  So I built leg extensions by rounding the corners of the square nuts a bit on the grinder, grinding the seam out of the first 1/2 inch of 1/8" wall square tubing I just happen to have that were a very nice press fit for the square nuts.  I cut the tubing 17.5 inches long and hammered the nuts in each end and left about 1/3rd sticking out.  Then I welded them in and voila!  Leg extensions.  i had to buy some 2 inch long x 7/8 coarse grade 5 hex bolts, sae washers, and lock washers from Fastenal to mount the legs.  I also had to buy a new, longer 50 ft. drive rope.  That was pretty much it other than leveling the bed and extensions per the MP100 manual so everything was dead flat.  Pretty easy modification, and works well provided you don't try to tow the LT15GO in any configuration other than how they recommend.  It takes 4 leg extensions per bed extension.  I'm planning to powdercoat the leg extensions next time I remove the extensions( in a couple months).

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

5quarter

Brad...nice work. Looking forward to seeing what that mill puts out.  8) ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Magicman

That worked quite well.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

B E A U T I F U L!    Nice!  You did what I've only been dreaming about with the planer/molder,  I bet you get covered up with work,  I hope so, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

BCsaw

Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

giant splinter

roll with it

Thank You Sponsors!