iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picture management software

Started by Larry, December 17, 2020, 10:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Just bought a new PC that came with Windows 10 Photo's software.  Seems like junk to me.  I've been using Microsoft Picture Manger which I like, but its old, not supported, and probably outdated.  Anybody have suggestions for something new?

For actual editing I use GIMP which I'm happy with.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

Use 'Photo Gallery' in the app menu.

I've been using MS Photos that came on Windows 10. The only thing annoying is that I can't set it to delete photos off the camera once transferred. I have to do it manually by clicking on a check box every time. I think the old version in Windows 8 had a setting that you made and never had to manually do it. Other than that, seems to work fine here.

P.S.

To import with delete you have to go into File Explorer/PC and right click on your camera to make the settings for deleting files and where to store photos and videos. This has nothing to do with the Photo app.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

btulloh

There's a wide range of stuff in that category.  Good luck finding something to replace a program you liked but went obsolete.  Seems that's the way of the world and we just have to put up with it.

I use something called XnViewmp.  It's free and quite powerful.  It may be worth looking at to see if it suits you.  Xnview  It's a lot more than an organizer, which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your needs.  It does a decent job on the organization but it has a lot of ability to process, convert, and manipulate images and has good batch processing functions.  

My approach to photo organization is pretty haphazard, so I'll be curious to see what you come up with, but Xnview has been my favorite tool for about twenty years now.

Good luck with your search for a new program.
HM126

DR Buck

I use a program called Thumbs Plus that I have used for many years.   I keep it updated when new releases come out.    I have a lifetime free update license.    I have been using  digital  photos since the first digital cameras hit the market in 1997.   As of today I have 209,046 image files in 3,897 folder paths indexed across 8 disk volumes.  This doesn't include what I have archived to CD/DVD.     

Although you can do some image editing and conversion Thumbs Plus is not a full fledge editor, its a management software.  I have scanned a lot of my old photos and include them in my database.  I love this software.  
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Larry

I tried several of the free photo management software programs.  So far I like the one btulloh suggested, XnViewmp the best.  I'm going to run with it for the present time.  Thanks for the suggestion btulloh.

I'll stick with GIMP to do all my editing, mainly because I don't want to take the time to learn something new.  Its also a free program and is updated frequently.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!