iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 201TCM

Started by The Diesel, August 03, 2016, 11:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Diesel

I do some in tree work via rope climbs and using a ladder to get up and harnassed off in tree (around my house) but will mostly use the saw for downed trees and strapped on back of ATV for clearing trails.  I want to get a small saw with 16" bar.  I am looking at the MS201TCM.  From the youtube videos I see alot of people cutting up downed trees and it just looks real comfortable and fast handling vs rear handle.

Thoughts?  Also, why is the MS201 rear handle more expensive?  I can get the top for $520 and the rear is $570.

Jiles

Welcome to the Forum !

Do a Google search for---- "Problems with Stihl MS201T Chainsaws"

I would not recommend any top handle chainsaw for someone not well experienced with use of a chainsaw.
Much more dangerous then a rear handle!
I think the Rear handle cost more because they are in less demand.
I sell a lot of MS192T for about $200 but have a Mint condition MS192C (rear handle) that has been on CL for over a month, for $250 without a single inquiry!
Satisfy needs before desires

HolmenTree

Yes due to a top handle saw's compactness without the rear handle they are a favorite to carry on a ATV.  Then with one hand cut up a tree laying across the trail.
What the saw was designed for is close quarter cutting many feet above the ground, not for ground work. Two different scenarios,  the aerial work is done by a highly skilled tree man.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sweetjetskier

When the original 201T was introduced to the saw market, it was not up to par by any means. People were used to the 200T, powerful, loud and very loyal following.

Along comes the 201T, EPA mandates in place, made it a choked up, poor starting and acceleration, but better AV, fuel economy, quieter also= less power in many peoples minds.

Well fast forward 3-4 years and the 201T M-tronic has been made available in the US and it is a completely different saw compared to the original 201T.

Easy starting, great acceleration, improved powerband with noticeable gains in torque, AV, fuel economy, smooth, etc.

I had @ 2 gallons through a 201T CM, I liked it as much as my well used 200T if not more

I would not be afraid to buy a 201T M-tronic, if you need a $650 plus top handle saw
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

Texas-Jim

I'v done it as has vast majority of people that have one, ground cutting. A TC saw isnt the most suited saw to use on the ground. It will work and it cuts but the control factor is a lot lower than a rear handle saw. Its hard to control in kick back or if it gets squirrelly. Many times we are out alone so a bad hurt could turn very bad very fast. Just my opinion.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

Thank You Sponsors!