iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New(to me) LT15 that hasen't been started in 5 years.

Started by MotorSeven, May 17, 2009, 08:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorSeven

I finally pulled the trigger........it's a 2000 year model version 4.0. Base package 15 horse Kohler with a 7 new blades.
[img width=500 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/jj141/motorseven/LT15004.jpg[/img]
It had been stored in a garage almost it's whole life.

Got it home & replaced the battery, took the bowl off the carb and sprayed carb cleaner until the yellow varnish residue quit running out. Fueled it, and got it started. After running for a few min it smoothed out and even idled fine. I checked everything out even though this mill has only had 6 blades run thru(EVER) it & everything looked fine. Loaded a maple log & made 2 passes no prob. Rolled the log & went to "engage" & the blade didn't move. This is what I found:
[img width=500 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/jj141/motorseven/LT15014.jpg[/img]

I am thinking that both wheel belts should be a little tighter than this?? :D

The clutch belt also needs to be replaced. Should I outsource these items or is Woodmizer reasonable with their consumable pricing?

I am looking forward to getting started on the house, this thing flys thru a log compared to my CSM 8)

RD

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Dave Shepard

You will have to put your photos in your Forestry Forum gallery for us to see them. The band wheel belts do hang down a ways, they aren't that tight. If they aren't chewed up, they should be fine.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MotorSeven

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

MotorSeven

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

pineywoods

Don't sweat the loose belts. They were designed that way on purpose. works good. I even put some B58's (those are B57's) on my mill once by mistake. Still worked fine.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

Mill looks really good. Belts look about right, too.  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MotorSeven

Well I feel dumb. I did skim over the manual, but must have missed the fitment of those belts. More reading tonight. The clutch belt was off, which is why it did not engage. I will read that section also tonight.
What if any of the later upgrades are worthy of adding? The cam action log dogs look a lot easier and I will need extras for the extension(s). I am seriously considering building my own 16' extension & will investigate that further.

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

zopi

the later setworks on the mill is great...don't know if they retro or not though...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

MotorSeven

Not so dumb. I re-read the maintenance section, & can't find any reference on the blade wheel belt slack alowment. I'll take y'all's pro/expert advise, put the blade belts back on, adjust the clutch belt & go cut some wood.......... :) Thanks.......

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

SamB

Nice find definitely has not seen much use or abuse, looks new have fun! 8)

thecfarm

Hope you can keep it under cover too.That's looks like fun.What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MotorSeven

After the extension is built or bought, first thing is a shed for the mill. I also think I am going to pour a slab for it, it just will make things easier.
Then it's :
House
Bridge
Barn
etc
etc........

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KyTreeFarmer

Congrats on your find. Nice looking mill. Hope I have that kind of luck tomorrow. Going to look at a used LT-15, but its only 3 years old I think. Good luck with all those projects!

Mike
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Don K

Slack on the wheel belts is normal. What you want to watch for is the wear that allows the belt to depress into the wheel groove. You don't want the band riding on the wheel metal to metal. The drive wheel belt will wear the fastest. You can swap them around. I keep spares but they last a long time. Blade breaks are the culprits on wheel belts. Will chew them up on occassion. Keep your drive belt tension right and everything will be ok.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

MotorSeven

Thanks for the info. I called WM & ordered 2 log dog upgrades, filters for the Kohler & an extra clutch belt.

Does the Kohler 15 have a charging system for the battery?

.......and the wife already has me cutting flower boxes for her today{sigh}

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

trapper

lets see pictures of flowerboxes.  I need ideas.
marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

mad dog

Quote from: MotorSeven on May 18, 2009, 11:26:16 AM
Thanks for the info. I called WM & ordered 2 log dog upgrades, filters for the Kohler & an extra clutch belt.

Does the Kohler 15 have a charging system for the battery?

.......and the wife already has me cutting flower boxes for her today{sigh}

RD
I do not believe the new style dogs will work on your mill I have a 03 lt-15 with a newer 6 ft. section .might want to call and ask.
mad dog 78 acres,pasqualli tractor,L-15 woodmiser

Wallys World

Yes Woodmizer has the new style dogs to fit your mill. it is a different part number from the ones on the newr mills. I had Marty from Woodmizer PA get me two for my mill. Talk to Marty and he can get you the info. The Kohler has a charging system for the battery.

Wally
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

MotorSeven

Hmmm, the WM rep looked it up by serial # and revision, stated that they would work. They just sit on the cross member, so unless it is a larger xmember it should work. I guess I'll find out in a few days......

Trap, they were just 9" boards, 9' long & 1' wide...nothing special...but they made her happy ;D

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

MotorSeven

Well the wife is happy:
[/img]

Poured a slab for the LT15....it came out good:

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

MotorSeven

[/img]

The flower box will not display, I don't know what I am doing wrong. It sure would be easier to --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- these images then post a direct link..............

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!