iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shingles Shots

Started by Magicman, June 19, 2023, 04:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

This is ridiculous, I finally found a hole in my schedule and got the second shot at 2pm this afternoon, and at 10 pm I'm shivering and teeth chattering.  Amazing speed of a reaction.  My immune system must be on full speed ahead. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ianab

Still better than a case of the Shingles though?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

I guarantee a little shivering is a lot milder than the shingles. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

YellowHammer

Captains log:

3:31 am, 100.7 F fever, shoulders and back sore, headache.  I contemplate the reason behind the "fun" and assume this is worth the extra 5% chance of not getting shingles over the first shot.

Up because of the coyotes are barking in the holler.

A couple Tylenol, some water, and I'm web surfing about a long range hunting rifle that I can shoot out the window from my bed, across the dove field, into the valley and whack these howling mutts.  At night.

While I'm shivering.  Without waking Martha up.   

Anybody got one? 

I tell myself to quit being a whiner, got to be tough like the folks on the Forum, and so life is good again. 

Y'all have a good night! 

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Walnut Beast

Hang in there and hope you get to feeling better!!

RetiredTech

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 11, 2023, 11:06:46 PM
I hate to hear that. I got the first shot about a week ago. No reaction to it at all other than a sore arm the next day. I go back in February for the second one. But I did get the old vaccine years ago.
  I've watched several people including my wife go through the shingles. You don't want them! Praying you feel better today.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

woodroe

After listening to horror stories from my older brother
and BIL who both got Shingles about the same time, both in their
early to mid sixties I signed up for the vaccine without hesitation.
First shot just a sore arm, 2nd shot 6 mos later sore arm and some fatigue, headache but nothing serious. One less thing to make life miserable.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

John Mc

Hope you are felling better soon. I watched my mother and my wife go through actually having shingles years ago. MUCH worse than their reactions to the vaccination (which they both got this year). My wife was told she had a more moderate case of shingles when she had it. On her second shingle vaccination she was down and out for about 36 hours with chills, fever, aches. She said she'd rather take a solid week of that vaccine reaction before she'd go through another case of "moderate" shingles.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Magicman

I hate to read this Robert, but hopefully last night was your worst.  Also thankfully this one was your last.  I don't recall reading where anyone suffered the reaction that you are having.  (well John Mc just posted one about his wife)

My reactions were similar to woodroe's above with only soreness which took a while to go away. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 12, 2023, 04:37:43 AMI'm web surfing about a long range hunting rifle that I can shoot out the window from my bed, across the dove field, into the valley and whack these howling mutts.  At night

So you looking at thermals now?  I can tell you which cow pies are fresher than the others through mine.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

I don't think so, last night I was looking for a grenade launcher.

I went to the Shingrix site and this popped up as "normal" reactions:
The most common side effects of SHINGRIX are:
Pain, redness, and swelling at the injection site
Muscle pain
Tiredness
Headache
Shivering
Fever
Upset stomach

I'm sure I'll be better tomorrow, but I had been told by so many people that this reaction would happen, including my Dr. and the Pharmacist yesterday, who said "expect two to three days of down time" that I had waited until my window to get the second shot was just about closed.   

I will also say, it's not a good idea to order Zaxbys Chicken Finger Meal with Extra Fries, before getting the shot.  I paid for that poor decision last night...... 
YellowHammerisms:

Southside

In all seriousness I find loudly shutting a vehicle door or some other type of noise like that will shut them up in a hurry.  Maybe it's because the ones around me are accustomed to that car door sounding noise causing uncle Carl to roll over and play dead, but whatever works.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

It's over, I went to bed last night with a 99F, a slight chill, and woke up sweating through the bedsheets.  Yesterday, I could barely move my neck, felt like a truck had rung over me, and this morning I feel normal, my neck doesn't hurt, the headache is gone, and it's as if nothing happened, except it's Wednesday.

The thing is, I get vaccines for Flu yearly, certainly Covid, lots of crazy vaccines when I worked and travelled for Uncle Sam, and I have never had a reaction like this, which according to the several people I talked to, is not unusual.

Oh, well, it's Zaxby's under the bridge, and I BETTER NOT get shingles!!! :D :D :D :D

YellowHammerisms:

Magicman

Welcome back to the land of the living.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RetiredTech

What a difference a day makes. Glad your up and around again.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

SwampDonkey

You survived all the headaches and sweats and now you're ready for fighting. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chet

Wife just went through the same thing as you. Same exact symptoms, other than the injection site issues. Only she never got the shot.   ::)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Ianab

You always remember a nasty vaccine reaction, and soon forget the 20 others that were almost nothing.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

But some work as advertised and others don't for more than 3 or 4 months. ;D

doc henderson

I will pull mine back too
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Quote from: doc henderson on December 14, 2023, 04:21:00 AM
what? Oh I see you pulled some back. :)

What I pulled back are results in an population study in Austria with 100,000's of patients on COVID-19. We'll leave that from this thread.

thecfarm

And he is on his way to buy that long range rifle!!!!
My wife is like that. Any side affects, she probably will get it.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

I thought you were talking about the shingles shot.  too busy to concentrate on the study.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Edited the previous post to keep the thread on Shingles and not go down other paths. :)

Ljohnsaw

Got my shingles shot today. Mild sore arm. Also had my annual physical and got my foot pain looked at. Plantar Fasciitis. Ordered my shoe  inserts and started my stretching. Hope to clear it up before I'm back at  the cabin.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!