iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Reaction wood" in this maple?

Started by terrifictimbersllc, October 14, 2010, 12:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Any idea what to expect from wood sawn from a branch like the one on the far right in this maple?   Is this "reaction wood"?   
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

DRB

If you need some hoops for barrels that limb would be perfect the wood will probably warp to the point the ends touch as it comes off the mill. In reality such a limb is only good for firewood or short turning block and even them it will be subject to warping badly when it dries.  The old standard is any lean over 10 degrees and the log is a cull and should be chipped.  Even the big fork on the left will give you some issues when sawing and drying but I would saw it since it is big enough to maybe have some nice figure in it but I would expect some warping issues when sawing and drying.

pnyberg

Dennis,

Funny I've got a picture of that same tree.  I told the gentleman that I don't work in NY state, and gave him a couple of leads, not including you.   :)  This allowed me to turn him down without insulting his tree, but that one looks like firewood to me.

Are you taking NY jobs these days?  Did you take that job on Long Island? 

--Peter
No longer milling

terrifictimbersllc

Where else but the FF to find someone recognizing a tree from another state?   I carefully cropped the photo to remove any identifying information but my mistake was to leave the tree.   :(   

No not yet in NY.  Just trying to help out.   

By the way does anyone know whether sawing services are taxable for sales tax purposes in NY?    I was confused after an earlier phone call to NY Department of Taxation.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SwampDonkey

:D :D All I can say is it will provide valuable knowledge to saw that limb out.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

northwoods1

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 14, 2010, 12:04:01 PM
Any idea what to expect from wood sawn from a branch like the one on the far right in this maple?   Is this "reaction wood"?   

Make firewood of that tree?? Some people must be throwing away a lot of $$ regularly if there doing that. I regularly look for limbs just like that to saw! :DI  just last week I took a several pieces of wood over  to a friends to have them surface sanded and a couple were from a tree I sawed down with a limb that looked almost exactly like what you have pictured, it was a suburban tree removal job storm damage. After I cut the tree I knocked the bark off from under that limb to check for figure, it looked good so that even though I didn't have the equipment to haul wood home in that situation, as I was just taking down the tree, I quick took my chainsaw and ripped two 4" thick 5'-6' long 1/4 sawn pieces from the base and bottom side of that limb, you know right at the base of it where it connects to the trunk. Just those 2 pieces, ripped out with a chainsaw, 5' long, now 2 3/4 thick, and roughly shaped so that a gunstock can be made  from them are worth at the very least $500-$600. Limbs like that are what you want and not easy to find! A quarter-sawn piece from the base of that will be the most stable and hard piece of wood imaginable and can have really great figure even if the rest of the tree doesn't. There are websites where you could list a piece of wood like that for sale and sell all you had I guarantee it. So I'd cut the good wood out of it then burn the rest for firewood!

Thank You Sponsors!