iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turning a band blade inside out

Started by Delawhere Jack, May 05, 2012, 10:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

I recently picked up a used Turner Mill. The Turners cut in the opposite direction of most other mills -- the blade turns counter-clockwise as viewed from behind. I mentioned this to my brother when I brought the mill home, he said just turn the blade inside out. The same thing had crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure how that might effect the blade. We turned one inside out, and it seemed to stay round. Does anyone do this?

My mill uses a 12' blade, same as one of the Norwood mills, but turns the opposite direction. I ask because I think most places do not stock a blade for my mill, and they make them to order, which adds 3-5 days. If I could order a "standard" rotation blade and turn it inside out it may help me get blades sooner.

Thanks,
Jack.

davey duck

hi ,just get heavy gloves,an uncoiled blade ,step on the bottom and turn the blade inside out,and it will go right on a turner mill and just reverse the blade to sharpen.
David G.Fleming

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: davey duck on May 05, 2012, 10:59:24 PM
hi ,just get heavy gloves,an uncoiled blade ,step on the bottom and turn the blade inside out,and it will go right on a turner mill and just reverse the blade to sharpen.

Thanks. I know how to turn them inside out, I'm just asking if doing that may cause problems. Do you do this yourself?

Delawhere Jack

Davey, I see now that you run (ran?) a Turner. I'll give it a try next time I order blades.

barbender

Just turn them inside out, it doesn't make any difference. The only difference is what side they had up when they welded them. When I get blades from WM, they are ready to go on the mill. When I get blades locally, they weld them the other way, I just turn them inside out. Hope this helps.
Too many irons in the fire

redbeard

most all blade manufaturers will make your length and if you let them know your mill rotation they will send them ready for your direction. I have ordered blades and didnt pay attention to direction of teeth and you dont get very far cutting into  log.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

thecfarm

I got a blade from WM for my Thomas. It run the opposite way. I just stepped in the middle of it and turned it around. I did make a drawing on the mill so I can remember what direction the teeth goes.No problem at all.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Jack,not to worry bands go ether way.In fact with a single tooth setter you have to turn them inside out to set the teeth on the outher side. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

macpower

I never thought much about it, just been rolling the blades inside out when needed. Never had an issue other than a chewed up glove or two from doing it. Like thecfarm said, our  6013/6020 Thomas' turn ccw also.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: redbeard on May 06, 2012, 01:09:00 AM
most all blade manufaturers will make your length and if you let them know your mill rotation they will send them ready for your direction. I have ordered blades and didnt pay attention to direction of teeth and you dont get very far cutting into  log.

I'd used a fine tooth HSS blade on a skilsaw to cut vinyl siding, and put the blade on backwards as  suggested to get a cleaner cut. Went to a piece of 1/2" plywood with it a couple weeks later and I was baffled why it wouldn't cut.....  :-\

Delawhere Jack

Brucer

The blades are made from a type of spring steel and are naturally straight. You'll see that as soon as you break one. It doesn't matter which way they form a loop -- either way they're bent.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!