iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Green ship lap/nickle back shrinkage

Started by Sedgehammer, July 30, 2022, 03:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

If one was to put up green ship lap , what type of gappage wood there be on the sides and ends on interior walls?

I'm considering 1x12 , but could do 1x10 or 1x8 , but prefer the larger widths , but perhaps that's a mistake 

Yellow pine most likely
Necessity is the engine of drive

doc henderson

inside an exterior wall, or interior wall?  It will need to release water from both sides, or it will cup, and could damage fiberglass insulation
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Green SYP 1x12, expect up to 3/4" shrink depending on the grain. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Sedgehammer

@doc henderson would've been both , but based on what @Southside mentioned , too much shrinkage . Some would be desired , but not 3/4" 

What woods could one use with a lot less shrinkage 

doc henderson

ERC is good.  maybe a brief period of air drying before milling and installation.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

you are just the next state over. this time of year, I bet you could get it pretty low like 12 in a month outside.  stacked and stickered the OK wind.

Sedgehammer

@doc henderson yes , wrc is good , but spendy 

Prolly quicker then that actually . Thinking of doing that instead of sheetrock

Southside

If you don't HT SYP you will get pitch bleed and issues with paint coming off. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Sedgehammer

Southside

Heat treat - IE set the pitch.  No way I would install non KD, HT, SYP as an interior finish in a home.  Just trying to plane the stuff will convince you that it's a bad idea.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Sedgehammer

@Southside thought that's what you meant after I sent that and was thinking of possible HT acronyms

beenthere

Sedgehammer
No need to tag members who are already in your thread. Saves on having to delete those tags on our end. tks

Maybe only use the tag to those who you want to drag into your thread. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!