iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log splitter force question.

Started by Modat22, November 09, 2007, 10:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

splitter

Guys, don't forget to use a valve with detent, on the return stroke only. Saves a lot of time your not holding the valve control. Also I built a log lift on mine that lifts the wood to the splitter and have a hydraulic wedge that is horizonal to the vertical wedge so your can split two or four ways hydraulicly. I also used a valve with detent one way on the lift so when it hits bottom, level with the ground, it kicks to neutral saves holding the valve control lever.Splitter

solodan

Well, I got the splitter this afternoon, and I put it together. still need to put the engine on though and fill er all up. I think it will do what I want. It seems a bit less heavy duty than my old homebuilt one, but definately better engineered and well balanced.  There is no way my wife could have loaded the old one onto the hitch. The new one is very well balanced and easy to pick up and roll around. I'll let ya know how it works after I put it to work.  :)

Modat22

Well, I'm kinda thinking about rethinking my home made log splitter. I almost have enough material to build one of those mini backhoe/trenchers. If I can build the trencher I figured I'd make the bucket removeable and make a log splitter attachment to stick on there. That way I can ether split wood, dig holes/trenches, and maybe move logs around a little (granted small logs). I could still use the this as a hydraulic power supply for other things and have alot of fun with it. Just need a few more cylinders and a multi spool valve (need to research these, not sure what kind I'll need)

On the spool valves it would be nice if I could latch one on full flow for the log splitter and have a splitter spool valve at the splitter like normal or bypass at the splitter so I can split by moving the arm around and split where they sit.

Not sure yet, my wife is giving me the evil eye knowing I'm about to make something, she hid the kitchen knives and the check book  :o :D
remember man that thy are dust.

pineywoods

modat sounds like an interesting project. I've had similar ideas. I bought a bunch of spool valves from surplus center. they carry the type where you buy the 2 ends and then stack as many valves of whatever type you need in between. All the control valves on my tractor (front end loader, hydraulic winch,  hydraulic top link) and woodmizer hydraulics are that type.
The valve for the winch has detents in both directions. Cheaper in the long run to buy new.
They carry a lot of surplus cylinders, but I opted for new, not much difference in the price and they stock packing kits for the new cylinders.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

stonebroke

surplus center has a log splitter valve than will hold in both directions. It is a two valve spool and the first valve holds until it reaches the end of stroke and then it pops and the second valve takes over to bring it back. Pretty neat except it costs279$

Stonebroke

beenthere

Personally, I wouldn't work around a splitter with a detent on the power stroke...need a hand on that control for my sanity...and fingers.. ;D ;D  Just too many things change when the piece being split can shift, and/or someone reaches to reposition it at the last split second...at least with the ugly stuff I split.

The detent on the return is great, and mine has a mechanical trip to kick the lever out of detent on return stroke...less pump load as I don't think this system has a pressure relief kickout.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stonebroke

The only person you should have his hands on the wood is the person with control of the valve. Also once it is splitting you can walk away and pick up more blocks. It just takes some self control and discipline.

Stonebroke

beenthere

What is the part number for that valve at Surplus Center...thanks in advance.

I found it, and it has double levers...interesting.

While looking, I also found a linear actuator with a 5" stroke, 12vdc.  Been looking for one of those.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stonebroke

WH_Conley

I see splitters advertised between 27 and 35 tons. For all practical purposes how much difference is there as far as using them, and several hundred dollars. Would like to make a 4 way split.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!